IFComp 2024 is live ! + Review Spreadsheet + Game-Threads Index

Welcome to another year of awesome games!

2024 IFComp Logo, by Lauren Davies

You can now peruse and play the 67 entries from the 2024 Edition of the IFComp!
And when you are ready, come vote!

https://ifcomp.org/

The IFComp is organised by Jacqueline Ashwell, with the support of her team. Our game curators this year were Brian Rushton, B.J. Best, Mike Russo, and Brett Witty. Our prize coordinator is Sarah Willson, and the technical lead is Mark Musante. Manonamora and Peri Wade are our social media & forum team.

Announcements on the blog, Tumblr, Mastodon, Twitter/X

Are you an IFComp 2024 entrant? You can request request access to the participant group and access a private Author category with your fellow participants. You also can optionally set a title and badge flair!

https://intfiction.org/g/ifcomp-2024-authors/manage/membership

If you have indicated a Forum username or email in your IFComp account, Jacqueline will add you shortly. But if your forum information is different (or if you didn’t indicate them), please make a request to join the group manually, by clicking the link above!

If you want to check out some reviews, we're centralizing all the ones we find over here:

(still based on @cchennnn, form which I borrowed all the code :green_heart: )

Everyone can edit the GoogleSheet to add their or other people’s reviews. You can add columns to add new reviewers (just don’t touch columns C and D).

• If you are an Author reviewing the comp, please add (author) next to your name on the first row (for the stats).
  • If you stumble upon reviews written outside of the Forum (on the IFDB, blogs, podcasts…), please add a link to it too!

This year, along with Review Threads, we're seeing judges creating Threads to discuss one specific game. You can find them listed below:
It will be updated as new threads pop-up.
45 Likes

Yay hooray! I can’t wait to dive in!

(Also, I can’t seem to figure out how to request access to the 2024 author’s group from that link. Are the permissions busted or do I just need more coffee?)

5 Likes

Ahhh! We forgot to click on one setting!
I think if you try again now, it should work?

EDIT: IT DID!

7 Likes

Ooh, very exciting! I have only read the blurbs etc. so far. Many tantalizing learnings in there, not least that this year features a strong sci-fi contingent

7 Likes

Wheeee…!

Just made a list of twelve games to start with. Half parser, half click.

First in line: A warm round of applause for @vivdunstan! I’ve been looking forward to this.

12 Likes

Have to say, I really like the logo this year.

13 Likes

We really love it too! :green_heart: :dove:

4 Likes

(I’ve added an index of discussion threads created for specific games, so it would be easier to find for everyone!)

6 Likes

Updated the Game Threads Index and the Spreadsheet.

Officially at 10+ total reviews!

7 Likes

The benchmark of IF Comps.

Beautiful logo! I need a coffee cup.

3 Likes

Should we rearrange the titles to remove articles so, for instance, The Den becomes Den, The?

Or should we manually sort them so we ignore the articles?

Or just leave well enough alone?

It’s semantically easier for me to locate games with article-free sorting, but I don’t know how others feel. Plus, Google seems to make it a pain to sort article-free titles.

2 Likes

20 total reviews!

(I don’t have a preference about sorting the titles with or without the articles.)
(Also Game Thread Index updated again)

5 Likes

I made my own personal IFComp spreadsheet to track which games I’ve played and my ratings, and one of the first things I did was delete “The” when it was the first word of a title haha. So I’d be in favor of that!

4 Likes

It looks like someone tried sorting the spreadsheet by something that ended up breaking a lot of links, so I reverted it. This happens most years, so just a reminder on here that if you change the spreadsheet and links don’t work anymore, just undo!

If you want to sort the spreadsheet by least reviews, etc., one good option is making a private copy that you can mess with (especially if you copy by value, so that formulas don’t mess up).

9 Likes

I think that the someone was me… my deep apologies to everyone.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiiorgio.

8 Likes

It’s okay, the only reason I know why it was messed up is because I did it too once or twice lol

7 Likes

I just spotted this out-of-place-looking graph in the spreadsheet while putting in a link to my first review:

It looks as though it’s probably not supposed to be there but I didn’t like to just go ahead and delete it myself since I’m pretty sure I’m not the one who added it. (I notice my name’s the one with a bar attached, but I suspect it’s just because I’ve put something in whatever area it’s drawing upon as a data range.) If the graph should be there and I’ve somehow screwed the whole up by adding a review link, sorry! Either way it seemed worth drawing attention to it.

5 Likes

I noticed it too … I think we usually have a separate sheet for graphs, etc., and we can probably just cut/paste and move it there. I’m not quite sure what it measures.

The headers seem to be determined internally by Google. For instance, if there are 21 authors and it has room for 5, it shows #1, 6, 11, 16, 21 or something.

I’m also not sure why “A” is there… it may be intentioned as a bumper row, but we already have that.

4 Likes

I deleted the graph (didn’t managed to copy/paste somewhere else). I’ve renamed the Stats tab as Stats and Graphs so we get less confusions.
Other things done: updated the list of Game Discussions threads (I think it’s complete) and combed through the forum for reviews (so the Google Sheet is up to date).

Some milestones that were probably passed yesterday:

• 50 total reviews (public + author)
  • Median moved to 1

:partying_face:

6 Likes