Forbidden Lore by Alex Crossley

Just finished this one! Like other players, I struggled with certain commands, but overall I quite enjoyed the process of researching to find new locations to visit and more ways to empower myself. Will probably write up more thoughts later, but for now what I really wanted to note is that there are in-game hints! I just happened upon them by entering “hint”, and they proved very useful, saving me from having to turn to the walkthrough for those sticky commands. I’d suggest to the author that their existence be noted in the game’s blurb, at the beginning of the game, and/or in the “about” text.

Edit: adding my transcripts! (One for my full original playthrough, the second where I restored a save in order to experience the alternate endings.)

Forbidden Lore_script.txt (125.3 KB)
Forbidden Lore_script2.txt (20.5 KB)

6 Likes

Ah! A thread about this cool game. I’ll link my review here:

Rovarsson’s IFComp 2024 - Forbidden Lore

The thing that sticks with me the most about it is the moment when I realised that the bulk of the game is searching the library. Sifting through the levels of deeper implementation, scanning the descriptions for that one next word that might grant access to more power. Very cool.

5 Likes

great, adding my review too

ohhhhh well that makes sense, thanks for finding!

this is me, too (and how I found the hints in this one), I’m constantly trying to tap out of puzzles whether the intro told me there was hints or not . . .

3 Likes