Metallic Red by Riaz Moola

I just played Metallic Red; it’s pretty interesting. I got very strong Howling Dogs vibes, but less dark and dystopic and more nostalgic. I quite liked it, and although there were quite a few full stop errors, there were no typos.

One thing I didn’t understand though: were the dreams meant to be reflective of past events? The Coke/Pepsi dream was pretty weird.

5 Likes

I played it yesterday and liked it. Really atmospheric, and I’ve also got a weakness for scifi stories about being alone and isolated in the cold frontier of space, etc. But despite the concept, it had a comforting feel to it. It felt like the protagonist has gotten used to living alone in a tiny ship with no real-life human contact for months and somehow learned to enjoy it, or at least accept that this is how life will be. Less “depression hovel” and more “Henry David Thoreau doing his hermit thing”, finding freedom within a narrow, solitary existence.

It’s been a while since I played Howling Dogs, so I thought of Skulljhabit, another Porpentine game that has the same structure of a repetitive day-to-day cycle broken up by unique events. There’s way more daily variation in this game than in Skulljhabit, though.

The ending was cool too: At the start I thought there was no specific goal, but the end puts your actions into context. This is the story of someone who braves the vacuum of space for months, just so they can talk to people who care for them a lot, and consider them part of the community, to say “I’m no longer interested”. The compound felt warm and inviting, which made the decision at the end more of a twist. At the same time, I can get behind that decision because of all the details gradually revealed throughout the story: the wobbly relationship with the father, the ambiguity of the dreams, and the general sense of fatigue permeating the entire story. Even in the compound itself, there’s a disconnect between you and everyone else. The protagonist is someone suited to isolation, who wants to cut a specific tie connecting them to a life they no longer want, and they put in the effort to make that happen. I guess I’d describe the ultimate mood as “pleasantly melancholic”.

I’m a fan of how the game doesn’t reveal information about the protagonist until they act, so you’re left guessing about the wider context of who they are and what they’re doing until the end. Even a bit after the end.

I read the dreams as intended to reveal something about the protagonist’s mental state. So like all dreams they’re probably based on things that actually happened, but not completely accurate to real life.

Also, huh, I didn’t mean to write that much. I guess this could be an official review or something.

5 Likes

Very nice game. Here’s what I wrote in my review thread, much of it in line with what @Cerfeuil wrote above.

4 Likes

cross-posting my review

Interestingly, I wasn’t particularly reminded of Howling Dogs until I saw others mention it–yes, you eat dispenser-food etc. but as Victor points out the mood is very different.

If there was any specific connection between the plot and the dreams I’m not sure if I got it, but I thought they were more conveying the PC’s mood / anxieties.

Good point! I also enjoyed that although I hadn’t thought about it as such. And it’s satisfying because what the PC ends up doing feels like it matches what we’ve learned about them.

2 Likes

Adding my review here:

2 Likes