String Theory by W Pzinski

[CW: Car accident discussion]

Just finished a few playthroughs of this one! Full review to come, but for now, I was curious what other players (@mathbrush?) made of the ambulance flashback. I assume the implication is that it’s Jay’s mom, Lori, who was the drunk driver who died? So it’s revealing that she was struggling in some way at that time? But if that is the implication, it’s so vaguely gestured toward that I feel like the revelation doesn’t add much to the story. I also don’t know what to make of the possibility of choosing wrong within that flashback (by picking “gun it” instead of “yield” at the intersection) and getting the ambulance itself into an accident, and then Jay waking up, falling back asleep, and re-dreaming it

4 Likes

Now that there’s a thread for this game I’ll link my review:

As for your post…

That’s definitely the impression I had. I didn’t know about what happened if you made the ‘wrong’ choice. But yeah, if it is the mom, there’s another flashback where she’s pregnant with you. Was she pregnant in the accident? Or is this just a year ago before the dinner? Right, I swear somewhere it said the mom died recently. So I’m not really sure what we’re supposed to learn from the flashback, except maybe how sad it was?

2 Likes

Ah, if I remember correctly, I think Uncle Jimmy says something like “I know you were just a baby when your mom died” (during the convo in the garage).

2 Likes

Oh, okay, that makes a lot more sense.

So your dad taking Xanax isn’t related?

2 Likes

Right, he’s been having anxiety and panic attacks lately (you get a flashback of his if you stay at the table and talk to him rather than helping Aunt Mary serve the pie), but I don’t think it’s connected.

2 Likes

Have now written my review!

1 Like

cross-posting my separate review. As mentioned there, the other reviews were, errr, important to me this time so thanks! :sweat_smile:

My views are obviously suspect, but

1. I think the implied reason for the xanax is that it’s implied the mom died around this time of the year (but many years ago). Jimmy seems to tie it to the season
  2. Re: veganism, the lime pie is vegan, it’s just bad tasting, so the PC doesn’t want to eat it despite it being vegan (at least this was my read). Whereas the pecan pie is non-vegan but delicious, and thus why the PC eats some anyway . . . I admit I was confused on the cycling links if we were actually changing something or if they were always both true. I.e., the vegan one was either “I’m vegan” or “I’m trying to look like the other guys in LA” (not verbatim), so it wasn’t clear to me if those were always both the case, or whether the position we left it in determined whether the PC was vegan or not?
  3. In the dream, I did managed to get in an accident by gunning the ambulance. Tabitha described what happened next–you wake up and go back to sleep again and re-do the dream (this time without the option to gun it). This was definitely not textual but I had the vague sense in that scenario that the car you get in accident with is also the mom’s car, so it’s sort of two dreams about her getting in an accident for the price of one (or maybe just foreshadowing that car accidents are a topic).
3 Likes