The Garbage of the Future by AM Ruf

I found this game intriguing for a variety of reasons—full review to come! But for now…

This was my experience, too, with both the “good” ending and several other achievements. I wrote in my notes while playing, “Some achievements I have no idea how to get—I must be missing something, but what…?” One of them is going down the highway as a mutant—Mutant Jake doesn’t like the light from the headlights, so he won’t go onto the path, which leads to the highway. I assumed I had to find a way to turn off or otherwise disable the headlights, but I couldn’t for the life of me find any way to get into the truck as a mutant, or do anything that affected the truck significantly. So I’m curious if there’s some possibility I’ve overlooked!

I could definitely see this fitting thematically, but given that there are several other achievements that also seem impossible (to me, at the moment, at least), I’m guessing it’s not the case? Anyway, very interested in other players’ thoughts!

4 Likes

I’m happy you tried to finish the achievements, but sad that you had trouble, so I hacked together some invisiclues and added them to the entry: Hints

If anyone finds any bugs or typos, message me and I’ll try to fix them.

2 Likes

Those are very nice-looking invisiclues! What did you use to make them? Is it all custom CSS?

It’s a lot of JavaScript and CSS. It should be relatively clear from the code, though not very well documented. Feel free to reuse it if you want to. You could probably just replace the achievements map with your own and restyle it how you want.

1 Like

Oh awesome, thank you! Will return to the game with hints at the ready!

cross-posting here my review, where I also put in some really basic clues under the cut

1 Like

The invisiclues suggest that it “might be possible” to avoid mutating by waiting inside the truck even if you don’t solve any of the other related puzzles. I tried it this way (I never found the duct tape, so I put the hose in the lake, opened the valve and then sat in the truck for 100 turns while it drained). But unless I’m very much mistaken, doing it that way leaves so much sludge soaked into the ground that you’ll take a mutation-inducing dose just while putting the hose away (this is how I got the “mutate while Bill is driving the truck down the highway” ending).

3 Likes

If you wait in the truck and dump the waste without taping the hose it will create a lot of fumes. I can’t remember if I tested getting the “best” ending that way - it may not be possible, but I think you can do it without getting too much exposure. The problem you’re having is that your hands got covered with toxic waste when you put away the now dirty hose. You can wash your hands in the lake or wear the glove in the trash pile. You don’t actually have to put the hose away to get an “almost best” ending. Also, if you sit in the truck a long time the monster may get aggressive and eat you right away - it depends on its random movements and if it spent a lot of time near you.

4 Likes

I’ve read the current reviews in the spreadsheet and updated the invisiclues to try to address some of the difficulties mentioned and to help players avoid getting stuck without revealing too much. I’m happy to answer any questions about it.

4 Likes

OK, this is back-seat driving at it’s finest: this isn’t even really for you the author, so feel free to completely ignore it. But I thought this was a fun idea that landed on the prongs of three fiddly design problems, and I enjoyed the meta-puzzle of “how might I make this work better?” probably more than the game itself. And I keep wanting to talk about it.

long

So, three problems:

• How do you make an interface for a “parser-like” map-and-inventory game that balances being both not too clicky and having a non-overwhelming amount of stuff visible at any one time?
  • How much do you simulate, and how do you describe it so that players can understand what’s going on?
  • How do you make a comedy about juggling too many plates frustratingly funny instead of just plain frustrating?

I think the biggest thing here is that there are extra clicks in a lot of places.

Clicking on a location should just go to it: we don’t need to see “The hill on the west side of the clearing in the dark and oppressive forest” a million times – I know it’s a hill, thanks, I just want to go there.

Another big thing that’s not only an extra click but also hugely confusing (it took me three playthroughs to figure out why this was throwing me so much): the game (or maybe the engine) gives you a separate page describing you going from one place to another, and it has almost all the links, so you think it’s a location description, but it’s not.

Pretty much all parser engines will give you a brief description of your action and then immediately follow it with the full location description. So this led to a LOT of “wait, where the heck did that object go? I know it was here?” And then searching for the name of the current location so I could click it to see where I actually was. It doesn’t help that it’s in a sentence so it’s not always quite in the same place (though I did eventually realize that the current location is always in the top right and you can click it there. But it’s still an extra completely unnecessary click every. single. time. you. move).

You never feel quite in a location: you’re in this liminal space of “JAKE exits the FOREST and steps into the HILL.” The actual location is a popup that could go away at any time.

Fixing this would save so much time: instead of HILL → brief hill description → GO → “jake goes to the hill” → HILL → full hill description, it’d just be HILL → “jake goes to the hill: full hill description.” One step instead of FIVE, but without changing any of the simulation’s action economy, I think? It feels like it’s still the same amount of actions for Jake.

Another thing is that describing spaces is hard: it’s a common exercise in the ambiguity of language to hand one person a simple picture or diagram and have them describe it to someone else who attempts to duplicate it without either being able to see the other’s drawing. And a lot of parser conventions are an attempt to hit one set of possible sweet spots. So sticking to a rectangular grid of similarly-sized spaces with only north/south/east/west connections is easy mode.

So here, where the spaces don’t have particular sizes, or different people may have different mental sizes for them… for me a “clearing in a forest” is usually a small space, certainly smaller than a field, probably smaller than a hill, definitely smaller than a shore, so a clearing that contains a field, a hill, a path, and a shore isn’t something that immediately occurs to me.

And this layout, with a ring of four spaces giving access to four different sides of a central one, especially with the thing in the middle being a truck and not something unambiguously huge like a house or skyscraper… it’s certainly not unheard of, but again it’s not something that I immediately think of (especially since another location completely contains an abandoned car). And especially since they’re all labeled TRUCK: there’s nothing to suggest that these are completely separate aspects of the truck unless you click through to the detailed description. Well, you do immediately see the headlights on the front of the truck: that was nice.

I’d drop the compass directions entirely and re-prioritize how the descriptions are organized to focus on their relationship to the truck, and I’d label the aspects of the truck as FRONT, DRIVER’S SIDE, PASSENGER’S SIDE, BACK instead of all just TRUCK.

So instead of

The hill on the west side of the clearing in the dark and oppressive FOREST. The clearing extends ahead towards the PATH and back towards the SHORE and there is a TRUCK parked here.

maybe

A hill on the DRIVER’S SIDE of the truck. A PATH extends in front of the truck while the SHORE lies behind it. A dark and oppressive FOREST extends in all other directions.

(this would also have the benefit of allowing people who aren’t in the US to see it as matching their vehicles, rather than forcing them into our orientation…)

There are a bunch of other little things, like the Trash Pile being completely random: you can easily get junk three or four times in a row and conclude that it’s useless and never find out that there’s a useful item hidden in there. The messages when you confront the oppressive PRESENCE are all very similar and kind of bury the important part (did it go away?) in one or two words in the middle of the last sentence (it “begins to feel less ominous” versus “continues to feel ominous,” I think?)

But…yeah. I think making location links go directly to the location, with the action description as a line at the top instead of being its own “place,” and focusing the location descriptions on the separate sides of the truck would make this one of the most pleasant choice-based interfaces of its kind instead of one of the more tedious ones. I had fun with what I saw of the game, and the variety of things possible with the simulation seemed amusing, and I would have liked to see more of the achievements, but past a certain point I just couldn’t be bothered with all the clicking…

6 Likes

Okay, have now played some more and finished writing up my thoughts!

I never did manage to get the “good” ending. I didn’t realize for a long time that the tape could be used to repair the hose; on my first playthrough I tried doing exactly that, but I didn’t realize it had actually had an effect, so I gave up on that avenue. Finally realizing that it was useful, though, I was all set for the good ending, but I got too impatient just sitting in the truck waiting and went to flip the pump switch to make it go faster… and got eaten. I restarted, determined to try again… and that time I got eaten just when I’d finished setting everything up. I didn’t have the motivation to do it all over again. I like that the tape can be used in two different, mutually exclusive ways; I’m so used to items in adventure game puzzles being single-use, so having two different options here and having to choose your trade-off, speed and leaks or leak-free and slow, is a nice design feature… but waiting without the pump switch is just too tedious.

On the plus side, unlike when I posted above, I now at least have an idea of how to get all the achievements (I figured out the highway one; you just have to make sure you’re on the dirt road or highway when you mutate), even if I don’t have the patience to actually acquire them all (I ended up with 12 of 16).

The UI has a sleekness to it, but it’s also rather disorienting. Others have already discussed this in detail, so I won’t belabor it, but will echo that it took me a bit to realize that you have to look at the truck from three different locations to get all the necessary items.

I enjoyed the spooky vibe and all the different possibilities for what you can do/what can happen. Those aspects reminded me of last year’s A Thing of Wretchedness, although here you have a concrete goal and more of a sense of stakes, which was nice. The glimpses of the world that we get are intriguing, and I enjoyed seeing the descriptions of the environment change once you become a mutant—honestly, I think the Mutant Jake endings were my favorites.

8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed feedback! You would be incorrect if you think I don’t want to talk about user interface design. I think many of your points are fair, and certainly worth thinking about.

• Displaying the room each turn. Since you are advocating this view, I’ll just mention some of my reservations. Having separate brief and full descriptions might be useful for distant or imperfectly observable things. Clicking a single link to display the room seemed to me to be a fairly minimal amount of work, though I suppose the clicks add up. Displaying the room each turn increases the amount of text on each screen, which can get overwhelming and make it harder to emphasize the important events. If you print the room each turn at the bottom of the screen, should it also print the actions for the room? In any case it’s easy to add an option to print the current room - I’ve updated the IF Comp file so you can see if you think that works better.
  • Single click actions. My issues: A room might have multiple actions associated with it besides go (drop, search, etc). Intermingling popup links with actions would be confusing. Should I give the links that perform an action a different style, eg an external arrow symbol? Which room links then open the popup for the room and which perform the automatic go action? And I can think of many room-like objects that blur the distinction between rooms and items - vehicles, containers, etc.
  • I appreciate your distinction between the UI/engine and the content - the organization and presentation of the descriptions and information. I think that a lot of complaints ostensibly about the interface could be improved if not solved by better descriptions and presentation of the information. This would be too much work for me to fix for this game but is an area for improvement in the future. I won’t quibble with specific criticisms of the content, other than to point out that all search actions will rotate through the N possibilities without repetition - I’m not a monster!
  • Speaking of the content, since the game is itself kind of tedious, it only makes it harder for me to interpret people’s criticisms - are they criticizing the UI or the game structure? I never really expected people to play through it more than 2 or 3 times. If you are determined to get all the achievements, it is recommended to turn on manual saving/loading which will significantly reduce the amount of replaying you need to do.
  • Finally, regarding the mention of “clicking” and “parsers”, I’ll say that the game was designed primarily with mobile touchscreens in mind, though I do hope that it looks and works reasonably well on desktops.
4 Likes

I just took a quick look, and from just playing through a few turns, at least, I much prefer this!

Oh man, I had looked at the settings when I first opened the game but must have missed that or forgotten! In my opinion it would be nice if it was on by default.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. I think the thing that pushed me to keep playing was that it seemed like what you were “supposed” to be aiming for was to empty the tank and get out without turning into a monster (even though the monster endings are more fun) and I still haven’t figured out how you’re supposed to do that other than to get lucky? If you wait in the truck for the slow solution then the monster is mad enough that it feels like you’re just going to get eaten before you can put things away enough for Bill to drive away, and if you tape the switch instead of the hose then the area seems too contaminated for you to put things away without turning into a monster?

Yeah, I played on desktop, but I did assume it was designed for mobile.

3 Likes

I’m on the fence about enabling manual saving/loading by default. I get the feeling it would incentivise players to optimize everything and undo/reload as soon as something bad happens. Instead, I want it to be a kind of unpleasant experience, for the player to do the best they can and play through to the end. In theory, my hope was that people would play a couple of times and get eaten or mutate before figuring out enough to be able to empty the tank and leave. It hasn’t really panned out that way, but I still think it was a good theory.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure why you’re getting eaten by the monster, but here are some tips (this should also help Tabitha):

Have you tried interacting with the monster when it’s in the same room as you? You can scare it away a few times, eg by pointing the flashlight at it.

If you’re still running out of time, you can have it chase you into the headlights once to scare it one last time. I don’t think any of this will last long enough if you don’t use the pump at all however.

If all of this fails, you can try avoiding the monster - it gets more aggressive when it is near you, so in theory if you stay far away from it you may get a few more turns. This will stop working when the monster gets too aggressive. In summary, don’t just stand there and let the monster eat you!

I don’t think I’m spoiling anything to tell you that the reward for successfully completing the job is not getting fired.

4 Likes

Ah, I never discovered this, that’s good to know!

1 Like