IF Archive Hugo Downloads

Kent Tessman posted an interesting bit of trivia about the top downloads at the Interactive Fiction Archive (http://www.ifarchive.org/). The post, which some may already have seen, is here:

http://www.joltcountry.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4003&sid=abd4ea178d4095cfd98f795227025e18

0 Likes

Routing specific text to a second window.
Random Map Generation Using Random Walks
Parsercomp?
Is it right to judge hypertext games...?
General overall discussion
My IFComp Reviews
Issue with Printing the name of...
New builds of Gargoyle for MacOS, please test
Glk & Terps, open dialog, mostly Inform 7
Kingkiller Chronicle
Improve discussion by posting reviews one thread per game
Manlandia
Changing background/text color during play?
Inform 7 release 6M62
Inform 7 release 6M62
AI for IF games – question about different kinds of IF games
Referring to parts of a person using "his" and "her"
Inform 7 release 6M62
Inform 7 release 6M62
Text colour effects for the glulx target
Raik - Full Edition
Menus cause a crash when you click a hyperlink
Outlining and Planning
Trouble With Real Time Delays
Hyperlinks: pasting partial commands next to the >
Help tracking down Spring Thing alumni
[i7] Generating a random map at start of play
"printing the name" rule side effects happen 2x? [resolved]
Glk zero-size windows; character input in graphics windows
Not-Quite-A-Review: Gamlet (2004)
Determining where backdrops are
[I7] Phrases involving kinds
To Comazombie
Coding Task - Footprints
CYOA and IF
Workbench Woes
I7: What are lists?
Room & Dimension Version 2 (Need betatesters)
I7: Procedurally connected map?
[i7] Game pane blank after successful compile
Changing gender rules
Quixe: limit on output length in a single turn?
Postures
Moral Premise: Trinity Reimagined
N00b having problems.
Don't get too excited yet, but...
New Scott Adams format interpreter "PerlScott"

That’s pretty interesting. I think the only Hugo game I’ve played so far is “Distress,” and the only game on the top downloads list that I’ve played is “Curses” (both of which I liked a lot). What are “Fallacy of Dawn,” “Guilty Bastards,” and “LASH” about? Which ones are Hugo? What are your recommendations?

0 Likes

“Fallacy of Dawn” is a game by Robb Sherwin. I’m embarassed to admit I haven’t played it either. “Guilty Bastards” is a mystery by Kent Tessman (creator of Hugo itself). Both feature graphics. Both were written in Hugo. LASH, I’m even less familiar with. It stands for “Local Asynchronous Satellite Hookup” (so says the IF Wiki), and was written by Paul O’Brian. It’s supposed to be really good.

I really ought to play some of these games myself. Generally, I stick to console games (XBox, GC, PS2, DS, whatever), and play IF only around competition time. I’m probably missing a lot of good, classic IF that way.

0 Likes

I find that with so many games to choose from, it’s hard to pick one out to play.

0 Likes

There are various “must play” lists out there. I may hunt around and post a list of them, when I get a chance.

One thing seems a little discouraging, though – and this is a little off the topic. Most of the “highly recommended” IF, or the IF that gets discussed and mentioned frequently, is the older stuff, from IF’s “revival” (mid to late 90’s – maybe 2000 and 2001). It seems more difficult for new authors to really make a mark now, or write a classic game, because there are bodies of work and certain authors that seem to have the market cornered on what’s considered important and relevent today. :frowning:

0 Likes

(David Whyld) #6

Is “Fallacy Of Dawn” an adult game? I’m sure I heard someone say that the “fallacy” in the title actually referred to, um, a sexual organ :slight_smile: . Or am I thinking of a completely different game?

I’ve played “Guilty Bastards” - one of the first IF games I played after getting on the internet about five years ago. Damn good game. Never played “LASH” but I’ve heard good things about it.

0 Likes

Fallacy is not AIF. (There is a sex scene, but not really.)

0 Likes