Hint Thread for Never Gives Up Her Dead

Now that the public beta has started, I’m starting this hint thread rather than using walkthroughs or an in-game hint system or using PMs. The game puzzles are already written, so the same hints should work for the full game as for the beta. If this thread ends up not getting used, I’ll remove it!

8 Likes

I’ve done everything I can in an area and now I’m stuck; it seems like something is missing

Hint 1

Every area in the game requires something from another area of the game.

Hint 2

There are nudges about what area you should go to to get the item you need. The next hint will describe what that nudge is for each area, and the next hint will explicitly say what you need and where to get it.

The item you need will always be near the front of the other area, not requiring any puzzles to solve.

Hint 3

Here is the ‘nudge’ in each area:

Haunted House:

The tokens say ‘Waxworks’ on them.

Murder Mystery:

The police poster says that a yeti stole something from the precinct.

Wax Museum:

The nudge that you need to explore elsewhere is that the wasp’s nest note says ‘this isn’t supposed to be part of the museum’.

Horror Caves:

You can’t even get started without something that provides light.

Robot combat:

One of the checkpoints asks for identification.

Cabin in the woods:

The slippery stones near the river have a picture of the Eiffel Tower on them.

Zoo:

The termite sign suggests bringing your own rotten wood.

Monuments:

A note says that the sulfur pack has been left somewhere else.

Hint 4

Here is the ‘other item’ you need in each area:

Haunted House:

The tokens must be placed in the token machine in the Wax Museum. The machine is in the Gift Shop, just east of the main room.

Murder Mystery:

You need a stamp to process the papers to see the evidence. The stamp is in the wardrobe in the haunted house in the yeti’s room. You have to go East from pharaoh’s room, and talk to Maya until she melts the furniture.

Wax Museum:

You need a wasp eating bug! It’s in the first room of the zoo in a bottle in the cabinet.

Horror Caves:

You need the flashlight. To do that, you need to grab the tool from the Tool dimension, and upgrade it at least once. You can upgrade it with any shard from any octagon door. The first room of the horror caves has such an octagon door that you can unlock.

Robot combat:

The police badge from the train area can get you past the checkpoint.

Cabin in the woods:

The lost and found box in the monument area has some grip shoes that can help you up the slippery rocks.

Zoo:

The cabin area has a rotten beam under the stairs in the cabin. The termites will love it!

Monuments:

The sulfur pack that runs the fumigation machine can be found in a locker in the robot combat area, on the east side.

What do I do with the tokens in the Haunted House area?

Hint 1

This can’t be solved in this dimension alone.

Hint 2

The tokens say ‘waxworks’ on them.

Hint 3

In the Captain’s quarters, near the start of the game, you can access a wax museum.

Hint 4

Go in the wax museum, and from the first exhibit go East into the gift shop. You’ll find a machine that can take the tokens.

2 Likes

Hint request! For the wax museum area:

In the Cleopatra room, I have three of the four rings, but I can’t figure out how to get the one from Cleopatra.

3 Likes

Hi I just finished wax museum…

A ring marks each one’s royal end; To their means of death attend."
In the case of Cleopatra, look in the mouth of the asp.
I did not get it immediately, since looking in or searching differs from examining.

3 Likes

Ahh, thank you! I had tried x mouth and x fangs, but since they just gave me the same text as x asp, I didn’t realize there was anything else I could do.

Here’s another question, now that I’ve solved that: do you need something from elsewhere to take care of the wasps, or can they be dealt with without exploring the rest of the ship/rifts?

2 Likes

With regard to the wasps:

You need something from the rest of the ship. Fortunately, the item can be found in the very first room of one of the other areas. That other area is:

Found on the bottom floor of the ship, in the room with Divya and Harish. If you go in that rift, you can find the item.

3 Likes

I am stuck in the cabin area: I seem to have several materials for paint, but no recipe. I guess I am missing some pages. Also, I know how to make plaster, but I seem to have no suitable container to get the mud. Even though the difficulty is indicated as much less than the wax museum, I have more difficulty with this one :slight_smile:

edit: I have proceeded after getting an item from another area.

2 Likes

For anyone else, that item that lets you get the paint recipe and plaster container is:

Some special shoes[/spoiler] which are found in [spoiler]the monument area accessible through cryogenics

1 Like

I’m now stuck in the castle area of the haunted house—can’t figure out how to get up into the tower…

2 Likes

You can only reach that area after you deal with the treasure room, so if you haven’t done that yet, you should wait until that’s done.

Once that’s done, the goal is to make a seesaw. That can be done by (complete instructions) taking the rod from the gate, putting it in the hole in the supports, putting the plank on it, getting on, jumping, then waiting for your clone to jump.

2 Likes

Ahh, I was really close! Thank you!

2 Likes

Okay, I’m doing the horror section. Two questions:

1. How do I get the insect scroll?

2. What do I do with the stalker?

-Wade

1 Like

So I think that first puzzle is severely underclued and, worse, has a misleading typo. In the transcript I received for the full game from someone, out of 10,000 moves that puzzle was 2000 by itself.

You have to beat the Anghofio puzzle first. The word ‘SPLASH’ should not appear anywhere in the game, it was supposed to be removed (CAMERA should be there instead). And I’m changing the phrasing to say “An enormous gout of slime bursts from the pump and splashes your feet, knocking you to the ground.”

The idea is that you have to (spoiler for first part of puzzle) be flying when the pillar opens. There’s a bit more after that as well.

Your second question can only be solved after the first one.

My apologies for this, based on what I’ve seen this is the most unfair puzzle in the game, and I plan on changing that as outlined above.

3 Likes

Due to a request I’ve added a map of the starting ship (not including the tutorial area):

Summary

3 Likes

I’ve just read these hints and am still struggling with the pillar puzzle. :sweat_smile: I’ve seen myself avoid the slime and get beaten by the creature on the surveillance footage, but still not sure what to do with that information…

1 Like

Edit: oops, misread the question! Hopefully more useful hints:

What’s the monster hitting you with?

Probably would be good if he couldn’t do that, given the tentacles are weak.

Explicit solution:

Drop your spell book before saying the magic word.

2 Likes

Mike’s hints are perfect. (I’m changing mine to cover only what he hasn’t).

If you are having trouble reaching something during the pillar spell:

you’ll need something long enough to grab with

Make sure you’re holding the bookmark (but not the book) while flying

The timing is pretty tight. I’m open to changing this puzzle, as it is still the unfairest one in the game, from seeing people’s transcripts!

3 Likes

Ahhh, I almost had it! I had tried leaving the book in another room, but then realized I couldn’t cast the spell without it. And I miscounted how many turns the flight spell lasted, so I didn’t realize I had time to cast the flight spell, take the bookmark, and drop the book before doing the pillar spell.

3 Likes

Hmm, I could extend the length of exklip by 1 turn, which would allow your reasonable alternate solution to work. Do you think that’s a good idea? There’s not really good cluing that your plan wouldn’t work, outside of the timing.

3 Likes

I like that idea; I was thinking that if I just dropped it, the creature could still pick it up, so I like the idea of it working to put it in the other room, because that was where my brain went first.

3 Likes