What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

That’s why many of us got in the habit of bringing tape recorders to lectures so we could transcribe later. The professors usually provided a photocopied stack of their projected slides we could also grab if necessary. Some students had a great racket going selling cassette tape copies of the recorded lectures to people who didn’t want to sit through them 2-3 times a week.

2 Likes

Left handed people are so creative. I could bat and play ping-pong either way.

My left handed son Donny had a hard time being left handed in elementary school. The teachers couldn’t adapt. :frowning:

He couldn’t learn to tie his shoes from us righties and picked it right up from his left handed grandmother.

5 Likes

I’m realizing that I probably had a serious leg up because both of my parents were the only lefties in their respective families, so they both knew all the tricks and passed them on…

6 Likes

Well, as I went to write in my own positive thing, I wound up finding a lot of people here are left-handed too, which is cool.

I managed to chop down 80% of my gmail old mails and even have a system in place to make sure certain newsletters don’t pile up too much. My windows cron-job-faking Python script can search for, say, from:intfiction.org once a month. Which is handy to remind myself – hey, you should get rid of certain emails.

Looking back, I saw a ton of emails from Google Groups from 2014 or so that somehow I hadn’t gotten rid of. I’ll have fun browsing through them to see the ones worth saving. There won’t be many. But there will be some cool memories.

Today’s work was really serendipitous, as I’d hoped to do a bunch of organization one day, but I’m not the sort that can buckle down. I saw how to organize things and thought “hey, can this work too? And this?” And it did! So I am thrilled about that.

6 Likes

This is so wild to me! All my professors have always made us print at our own cost if we wanted to, and you’re 100% not allowed to photograph, video, or audio record any of their lessons, because they insist it’s their copyrighted materials. I think the only exception is if you’re like, blind or something, and even then they prefer to assign you a student note taker instead.

4 Likes

Out of context lounge chat doodle of the day to accompany a silly childhood anecdote. And a bonus!

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 9.03.37 PM

6 Likes

OMG This reminds me of this:

(French ad that I would see a bunch when I was a kid)

2 Likes

Just played Porpentine’s ‘With Those We Love Alive.’ Shivers.

6 Likes

I went on an adventure!!! (I ran errands) (It took a really long time lol) and coming back to a shower felt amazing.

6 Likes

I always wanted to go to a public school to be like all those little ruffians I saw playing through the gallery.

Poor me.

(The positive thinking is that I did, and that I am capable of just inventing stupid stories to fool around -.- ).

4 Likes

I’ve had the same Tumblr blog for a few years, now- (a separate one from the account I have for IF, these aren’t sideblogs, they’re totally distinct entities) and I mostly use it to collect photographs that I think are pretty and snippets of poetry. Decided to hunt through the image archive to compile a moodboard to try to pin down some ambiance for a story I’ve been turning around in the back of my head like a cup of coffee whizzing around the microwave. (One of the many culinary sins I commit…)

7 Likes

Once my SpringThing game is done, I know what I’m doing next.

I have a white whale project that’s been causing me endless problems for 7 years, so I don’t tell anyone about it, and haven’t listed it in the white whale thread.

I think I figured it out. I wrote a project document for it. Once the current project is done, I’ll probably start working on that next.

One of my friends in particular is going to be overjoyed, because I’m making it for him, specifically.

8 Likes

Lounge is melting at the ears about timetravel shenanigans.

I also got some drawing done today! Not finished, but it was fun.

8 Likes

I love both of these drawings omg

2 Likes

Lounge chat and I had a lot of fun brainstorming stuff with @pinkunz!! :grin:

Also, I’ve been re-watching a lot of NileRed videos (between intense bouts of coding for SpringThing)! I absolutely love his video on silica aerogel!

Do I have any idea how chemistry works? Not really! All I know is to not enthusiastically add hydrogen to oxygen, because they will instruct you on a whole new kind of enthusiasm, in return! They may even teach you a few fun tricks for the fire extinguisher, like how to put out a major fire while trying not to panic!!

(Joking aside, disclaimer: Do not mix hydrogen and oxygen. It explosively creates water, and is a fundamental kind of combustion. I mostly know this one because it intersects with my aerospace special interest. Do not try it at home. Ever. That reaction can make towers of steel leave the atmosphere.)

But even if I don’t know a lot about chemistry, I just like watching the cool things he does! It’s sorta like watching someone paint! Sometimes he’ll say something that I suspect is supposed to be funny, so I share it with my dad (who worked in organic chem for a long time), and then he gets a good laugh out of it!

6 Likes

My old notebook died on me earlier this week, the day after I wrote 4k words… (I was able to get the data back, thankfully). So I got an early birthday present. Arriving Friday. yay :smiley:

8 Likes

I was driving on the country road that leads to my house, and a chicken was crossing the road (which in and of itself is funny every time it happens), so I stopped to let this chicken cross. And the chicken stopped, too, just standing in the road in front of the car. So I wait a minute, and then I honk at the chicken, who responds by attacking the car-- now it’s right in front of the car and I can’t see it anymore. So I REALLY honk at the chicken, who pops up in front of the car onto the hood. So I start the car rolling and there’s this chicken on the hood of the car, so I keep honking and finally the chicken kind of rolls off the car and flutters into the ditch, then stands there staring at me as I drive away.

And now I know why the chicken crosses the road. It’s to play power games, establish dominance, and make me feel foolish.

21 Likes

I’ve been trying to stretch and exercise a bit since both my job and most of my hobbies are sedentary and I have occasional repetitive stress pain and a lower back that can flip out if I pull something wrong. So I’m randomly searching “groovy yoga music” on YouTube on my phone and happened across this track. I’m not familiar with “vinyasa-flow yoga” but sign me up. When they talk about music being “infectious” this is what they mean. Maybe I was in the right headspace but somehow the polyrhythms of this unlocked different muscle groups and for the next like 45 minutes I felt like I was in a Bollywood music sequence of movement and rhythm - and while my brain zoned-out and let go I had actual ideas for my WIP materialize while floor-grooving - likely a thought-to-movement connection. So happy nobody can see me nerd-dancing in my apartment at 2am…

9 Likes

Actually this was yesterday but the thing happened at a party and I went home afterwords and it was late, so, you know, kick me out if that’s enforced or something, but anyways I was at the party and one of my friends said that my hair was beautiful (flattering, gratifying, completely sincere as she usually is) but finished the sentence with “like Pocahontas,” which immediately dropped me into a “okay but I’m Chinese is that, like, what?” but you know what, sure, slight wtf aside I’ll take it. I was very tickled that that was her comparison point though.

12 Likes

To be fair, the way Disney made her hair move was lovely.

4 Likes