What are you listening to?

Currently rediscovering my love for Blue Stahli. Absolutely slamming tunes to comfort me as I gotta redo twenty days of work from scratch before Spring Thing.

2 Likes

Please tell me that it didn’t disappear, and that this is a choice and not because a computer did you wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah, I structured myself into a corner with my own code, and it didn’t have room for literally the last feature I needed to implement, so I gotta rewrite the entire thing with a totally new structure.

2 Likes

“Energy” by The Apples in Stereo has quickly made its way to my Spotify top 5 of the month, ever since I found it.

2 Likes

This is really cool! Somehow in my journey through the Elephant 6 bands’ discography, I mostly skipped the Apples… maybe time to do a deeper dive. Olivia Tremor Control’s “Black Foliage” and the first s/t Circulatory System record are some of my all time faves.

3 Likes

I found this while randomly searching for new music to stretch to, and it may be my ambient default track for a while. It strikes a good balance between unobtrusive and inspiring with a subtly infectious “try not to groove” element.

Internal monolog: “Wait, that’s something you’re supposed to do? I’m not sure if I have intentionally “done my stretches” since 7th grade PE class. Wait a second, exactly how limber is Hanon?? [Imagines him backflipping through the house, Spiderman-esque.]

Internal monolog: “Maybe I should start stretching…”

4 Likes

Well, I’m not a gymnast :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I was a performer up until about age 30 so I’ve had theatrical movement and some introductory dance classes. Not a dancer, but I fell in the “singer who moves well” category and faked my way through three months of A Chorus Line regionally without getting fired.

8 Likes

You hear this, and you stay fascinated with the music and the enviroment, thinking that is imposible to make this moment better.

Then you search for the lyrics on the internet.

2 Likes

But if the previos one was “too poetic” for you, I left here this awesome videoclip recorded in a single sequence shot, fom the not too famous Spanish indie group “Manos de topo”, with its singer always “crying” their songs.

Really amazing lyrics with this verse dedicated to @HanonO on it that I translate here:

please don’t be yourself… please don’t be yourself while dancing.

XD

3 Likes

Rediscovering Endtroducing, the 1996 masterpiece by DJ Shadow.

A little nibble: Organ Donor

3 Likes

It’s a freezing sleety day here, so of course we’re listening to The Wall in its entirety.

And this month’s playlist theme is… Cougars. Older women, younger men. Poor little Rod Stewart’s Maggie May is the poster girl for this theme, but I personally like The Raveonettes’ Forget That You’re Young to top the list.

3 Likes

Why stop there?

1 Like

Good point. Older women, younger anybody. Good addition to the list, Mike!

4 Likes

Pink Floyd?

2 Likes

Yup. All the drama, my lord. An entire album about a man’s feeling of alienation from his own fans.

Where did rock operas go? Are people making them and I just don’t see them?

3 Likes

I LOVE Pink Floyd’s The Wall!

When I was about 12, I edited and reburned my 1982 Earl’s Court live recording. I removed the pauses in between the tracks so I could close my eyes and hear the whole thing, beginning to end, uninterrupted, as if I were there.

3 Likes

…I just realized that what I posted could have been interpreted to imply messing with the left hand side of that equation, so whew, glad the intended meaning came through!

And yeah, I love The Wall too. Had listened to the album like a million times before seeing the movie, which kind of messed me up for a while because a) some of the songs and arrangements are different and b) shaved-off nipples.

4 Likes

They’re still being made. Usually by really small bands. If you make it big, you usually have a label, and the label tells you not to do that because it’s not “cool” anymore.

Technically not rock, but Solace by Comaduster is a dark electronic opera about Boltzmann brains struggling with existentialism, ego-death, and the will to go on. It also explores themes about rights of the individual versus rights of the whole. This album had a huge effect on me as a sci-fi writer.

2 Likes

Thanks! The last one I was aware of was by King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard: Murder of the Universe in 2017. That album has a song with the single best title ever: Vomit Coffin.

2 Likes