What are you listening to?

I thought it’d be nice to have a little thread to share whatever you’ve been blasting a lot of lately! It’s always fun to see what people listen to.

Autoheart is one of my favourite groups, and I’ve been playing a lot of their song ‘Beat the Love’ because it’s so bouncy and fun (even if the lyrics are quite sad) which pretty much fits my mood lately.

I’ve been feeling kind of nostalgic, so I’ve also been playing a lot of ‘Wait for You’ by Elliott Yamin because it reminds me of being a little girl and listening to music with my uncles in the car.

I’ll normally listen to a little of everything- but I’m especially partial to country music (both the more modern, cheesy country-pop or country-rap crossovers, but also older songs like ‘Two Dozen Roses’ by Shenandoah), as well as hyper pop (Sakima is one of my favourite artists of all time, he’s such a gay icon, ‘God Fearing Man’ is one of my favourite tracks by him and Project Peach has so many good songs- but ‘Polari’ has to be 100% the best song he’s made in my opinion).

8 Likes

I bought the remastered version of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis about ten days ago. It’s been on my turntable since then, with the exception of a nighttime listening of D’Angelo’s Voodoo yesterday.

6 Likes

I’ve been listening to old Breeders records lately. Title TK and Pod in particular.

5 Likes

Huh, it’s interesting that people mention listening to music on records / a turntable- I think I only know one person who owns one in my own life, and it’s because he’s a bit of a music geek and loves collecting records like his dad. I usually just listen to tunes off of Youtube- I’ve had the same account for years and years and years, and use my Liked playlist as a massive playlist of my life, so the music suggestions it pops up are quite good- it’s how I discovered most of my favourite artists.

Some of my favourite artists I found that way in no particular order are: Sakima, Autoheart, Kane Brown, Dermot Kennedy, The Longest Johns, Randy Travis, Lord Huron, The Front Bottoms, Colter Wall, Cody Jinks, Peach PRC, Ben Platt, ppcocaine, Saint Motel, The Crane Wives, Caroline Jones, Corpse Husband, Mack Brock, For King and Country, Walker Hayes, Zach Williams, Luke Bryan, Jon Langston, Mitski, Rina Sawayama, Mika, Dawin, Glass Animals, Marc E. Bassy, Years And Years, The Mountain Goats, Chromeo, Blackbear, Tame Impala, Ashnikko, and Paul Cauthen.

I actually met a friend when we gushed over both liking Rina Sawayama and Jesse McCartney’s music! I suggested she listen to Chromeo and Dawin based off her tastes and she loved it.

4 Likes

I’m a turntabley person these days. Currently listening to Panorama by Claude Larson ‘and his computer controlled oscillators’.

The other current favourite is Toru Takemitsu’s Quatrain / A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden which has the dual benefit of making me feel like I’m slipping into an alternate reality and giving me some peace and quiet by driving the rest of my family from the room (they don’t like classical music, especially 20th Century atonal classical music - sometimes I soften them up with Schoenberg first before putting on the Takemitsu to finish the job).

4 Likes

lately… businessfunk on loop

i’ve been in a funk i guess :drum:

4 Likes

I’ve been singing Hold You Down by X Ambassadors for the last 2 days.

2 Likes

The song on the first button(?) rocks. This is awesome. I’m sharing it with my friends for sure!

2 Likes

I must be getting old. I don’t think I’ve heard of a single singer/band on your list, apart from Tame Impala, as they’re an Aussie band.

Maybe we just have different tastes.

4 Likes

I agree, I don’t listen (only) classical music but just only classic songs.
There is a Cambridge study that reveals “A person only like the music he has heard before 10 years old” That is my case, so I heard rock&Roll, Funky, Heavy, and so.

2 Likes

Not getting old Garry - just maturing, like a fine wine (or a pungent cheese).

4 Likes

I am old, but I never could identify any popular bands, even when I was a young 'un. I lived and breathed opera in high school and college. Which means that now I get to discover bands that were all around me then. I recently discovered Metallica, for example, to my husband’s delight.

7 Likes

Their self-titled black album was brilliant, but they’d become mainstream by then.

3 Likes

I make a playlist each month of what I’ve been listening to and send it out to friends (some of whom do the same) on the 1st. Here’s April’s.

Are you familiar with Lavender Country? They’re a gay country band from the '70s, I just discovered them recently. Might be up your alley.

2 Likes

I’ve traditionally been a jazzman, myself. But I’ve recently (over the last year or so) discovered chillhop.

I like music that has no lyrics so it doesn’t interrupt the logical side of my brain while I’m working.

4 Likes

Aw, that’s so fun of you and your friends to do! Thanks for sharing. Maybe I’ll see if my own buddies would be into something like that- though we have quite disparate music tastes (seeing as I’m into country and hyperpop mostly, and like, I’m friends with a metalhead, a punk, someone who almost exclusively listens to breakcore and music from the aughts, etc) which might make it a bit funny if we played it during gamenight or something like that.

I haven’t heard of them before! I’m definitely going to check them out, thanks for the suggestion. :blush:

2 Likes

Haha, very possible we just have different tastes! A few of them are more mainstream, (I’d say most people my age that I’ve talked to have at least heard about The Mountain Goats, The Crane Wives, Corpse Husband, Mitski, Mika, Tame Impala, and Glass Animals) but the groups/artists I listed all broadly fall into either making country, Christian pop, folk/traditional, indie/singer-songwriter, or electronic/hyperpop.

Mika is a bit of an oddball there- his music gets played a lot in French classrooms, I think, alongside Stromae.

I do think that Mike Russo(?) and P.B Parjeter(?) have mentioned The Mountain Goats on the forums before though, I think the latter had restored an old website of the band’s and likes their music, and Mike made a reference to it in a review. I might be mixing up names on the forums though, but I’m pretty sure they’re older than me/closer to your age (Mike’s mentioned he’s ‘technically middle aged’ in a recent review, so he’s probably around my dad’s age, and roughly double mine) and have heard of one of the bands, so it’s probably not an age thing and more of a taste thing, haha! :blush:

4 Likes

Embarrassingly enough, with Eurovision coming up I’ve mostly been listening to my Eurovision Greatest Hits (or “Greatest” “hits”) playlist. Nobody can ever accuse me of having taste!

5 Likes

Current albums on repeat are 925 by Sorry, Sinner Get Ready by Lingua Ignota, Koder på snor by Valravn, Advert Music by Hila Ruach, and Stunning Luxury by Snapped Ankles.

5 Likes

I really hate Euromission.

1 Like