What are you listening to?

Pink Floyd?

2 Likes

Yup. All the drama, my lord. An entire album about a man’s feeling of alienation from his own fans.

Where did rock operas go? Are people making them and I just don’t see them?

3 Likes

I LOVE Pink Floyd’s The Wall!

When I was about 12, I edited and reburned my 1982 Earl’s Court live recording. I removed the pauses in between the tracks so I could close my eyes and hear the whole thing, beginning to end, uninterrupted, as if I were there.

3 Likes

…I just realized that what I posted could have been interpreted to imply messing with the left hand side of that equation, so whew, glad the intended meaning came through!

And yeah, I love The Wall too. Had listened to the album like a million times before seeing the movie, which kind of messed me up for a while because a) some of the songs and arrangements are different and b) shaved-off nipples.

4 Likes

They’re still being made. Usually by really small bands. If you make it big, you usually have a label, and the label tells you not to do that because it’s not “cool” anymore.

Technically not rock, but Solace by Comaduster is a dark electronic opera about Boltzmann brains struggling with existentialism, ego-death, and the will to go on. It also explores themes about rights of the individual versus rights of the whole. This album had a huge effect on me as a sci-fi writer.

2 Likes

Thanks! The last one I was aware of was by King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard: Murder of the Universe in 2017. That album has a song with the single best title ever: Vomit Coffin.

2 Likes

In my automatic mix on Youtube Music tonight, it’s played:

1. Rush, twice
  2. Psychedelic Furs
  3. Beatles
  4. Steely Dan
  5. R.E.M.
  6. The Cars
  7. Squeeze
  8. Roxy Music
  9. LCD Soundsystem
3 Likes

Roy Buchanan.

This song might be of interest to the author of a game about the twisted relationships of the First Family in the Bible. (@jnelson ?)

2 Likes

Rediscovered Ayria. If you’re into a lot of the big, aggressive, electronic sounds in FiXT-adjacent genres (Celldweller, Blue Stahli), but want to lean more toward Canadian/German futurewave or cyberpunk (VNV Nation, Project Pitchfork), then give her a listen.

She tends to do a lot more with big distortion walls than others in her genre, which makes for some excellent writing music, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I went down the rabbit hole of listening to a bunch of national anthems a couple weeks ago. It’s neat to see how people rank them. I’d guess almost all of us know and have heard La Marseillaise, Russia’s anthem, O Canada, etc. but it’s interesting to hear other good ones.

Mexico and Uruguay and Argentina are generally universally agreed on as particularly good, if you want a starting point.

5 Likes

La Marseillaise

A few years ago I came across this video of La Marseillaise played on a cat piano. It’s really something (in a good way though).

3 Likes

For some similar mewsic: here’s this cat choir! Apparently the dark haired boy was named Regis Mengus, and he’s like, an opera singer now. The blond boy’s name is Hyacinthe de Moulins, but I don’t think he went on to be a singer? Or at least not as famous as his buddy from a brief internet search.

3 Likes

Pink Floyd’s More.

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to the jazzical stylings of Sydney Bechet:

3 Likes

Now those are meowmeows. I feel like such a poser.

4 Likes

I was playing some Coltrane and Google music drifted off onto this electric guitar cover of Mars.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to the soundtrack for a game called Bastion, these three songs especially:

I linked a video with these three altogether because I specifically listen to them like this. I think it’s a really cool listening experience. Especially the last one–my gosh, it’s an absolute bop.

Besides those, I really really like We’re Finally Landing by Home. It has this ethereal and emotional sound to it that I love so much. Also it’s got a cool beat.

2 Likes

Eurovision season is simmering along nicely, so I’ve been bopping to entries as they’re released…so far I’m a big fan of France’s Évidemment and My Sister’s Crown from Czechia, though there’s still plenty of time before the big event in May.
My first Eurovision upset of the year comes with one of the contenders for the Italian entry - I was so bummed when Il bene nel male didn’t make the cut in Sanremo.

5 Likes

I’m not interested in hearing any entries until I watch the three broadcasts of the competition. I want to maximise surprise/newness, no different than when I started watching it before the internet was around. I guess the exception lately is when I’ve watched a couple of the ‘Australia decides’-type events, since we’ve started entering. That said, I haven’t heard Australia’s entry for 2023, even though it’s now been picked.

-Wade

4 Likes

Definitely a good way to prevent song fatigue! I’m very principled when it comes to advent calendars and the like, but I spoil myself for Eurovision because it’s a bit of a pain to finagle watching the three broadcasts live from the US and I like chanting along with the lyrics.

4 Likes