What are you listening to?

My husband is obsessed with Ethel Cain. We’ve been listening to her non-stop for a month.

4 Likes

I just got off a tear where I’m listening to church going music. You know…death metal. Now I’ve for some reason on a rain sounds fix. Probably to cleanse the spirit.

2 Likes

I’ve set aside the jazz for a bit. The last few weeks I’m listening more to folk and singer-songwriters:

-Steeleye Span
-Martin Carthy
-Van Morrison
-June Tabor

3 Likes

Recently I’ve been listening to the Archivist and Revolution unofficial soundtrack; I don’t think I would have finished writing the game without it.

In particular, I am enjoying Katie Dey’s music, especially the tracks darkness and unfurl. They encapsulate a lot of my ideas about the mood of A&R. I also really like Forever in Sunset by Ezra Furman.

5 Likes

Rediscovering Frank’s Wild Years by Tom Waits, the greatest in my book.

Tom Waits - “Yesterday Is Here” - YouTube

I love how this thread is still picking up responses after six months. Kudos to @sophia !

7 Likes

Cheers! It’s been really cool seeing what people have been listening to! Really wide spread of songs around here.

I’ve been listening to Gia Woods’ Cover Girl because it reminds me of one of my characters (he’s a bit of a playboy- the lines of Cover girl making me pray on a Sunday / What a world when you’re everyone’s baby / Want me? I’m like sure! / What a world with the cover girl are very Donovan-esque.)

On the other hand, I’ve also been going through a bit of difficulty as of late- and when I do, I normally find myself gravitating towards a curated character playlist I have for a character of mine named Joel- I don’t really consider myself religious, but to no one’s surprise from the IF I’ve penned- Catholic overtones features prominently, and I already like country music- so perhaps the overlap of enjoying Christian tunes wouldn’t come as too overly out of left field. I’ve been playing FOR KING + COUNTRY’s God Only Knows a lot as of late.

I do think it’s a bit funny that in times of personal turmoil, I lean towards Christian music, when one of my criteria for my therapist was that I strictly did not want a faith based provider, due to some bad experiences in the past. (Good old Catholic guilt…) It’s less of a ‘this is my faith’ and more of a ‘some of the concepts presented are abstractly comforting’ and I enjoy the general sound of that genre of music. It does also make it a lot easier to write Joel when I do- he’s a Sunday school teacher, and quite stringent about having his faith guide him through his life- very disparate from my own experiences with Catholicism.

My favourite lines from it are probably Everyday you try to pick up all the pieces / All the memories, they somehow never leave you / Nobody sees you / Nobody would believe you / God only knows what you’re been through / God only knows what they say about you / But God only knows the real you / There’s a kind of love that God only knows.

3 Likes

You’re probably familiar, but Sufjan Stevens has some terrific Christian music - namely his album Seven Swans, which is folksy but also strangely cinematic.

3 Likes

I believe Tom Waits is the greatest living lyricist

3 Likes

You should check out Paul Kelly. According to the Wikipedia article, David Fricke from Rolling Stone calls him “one of the finest songwriters I have ever heard, Australian or otherwise”.

2 Likes

I don’t know why but the “Australian or otherwise” bit makes me laugh. Mostly because I personally know a few Aussies and I know they’d get a kick out of the phrasing.

2 Likes

The 1975’s new album, Being Funny in a Foreign Language, has been resonating with me recently.

I’ve also been enjoying the latest from Tove Lo, Dirt Femme.

2 Likes

I’ve been writing a really tragic/angsty character in a visual novel recently, so I’ve been listening to a lot of the Buttertones, which has always given me the vibes of an empty Mid-Atlantic seaside down during the autumn.

Also on my list has been John Cale, May Roosevelt (which I immensely recommend to everyone on this forum), and Nico.

4 Likes

Where has this been all my life?

5 Likes

I’ve been stretching my auditive neuronal pathways with exciting and challenging West-German Jazz.

FORUM WEST
Modern Jazz from West Germany
Wewerka Archives 1962-1968

(Forum West - Modern Jazz From West Germany 1962-1968 (2004) Album - YouTube)

1 Like

Since your list includes John Cale and Nico, I thought I’d give the unknown name (May Roosevelt) a listen. The piece you’ve linked to is hauntingly beautiful.

2 Likes

Yet another drizzly gray day in central Texas (so weird), so I am listening to the perfect music for it, and one of the greatest pieces of music ever written, IMO: Mozart’s Great Mass in C Minor.

One of the most heartbreakingly beautiful duets EVER is the Domine Deus in this mass. Go to about 17 minutes in to hear that.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying Richard Dawson lately - an English experimental folk musician who stands out for his storytelling and lyricism. The first track (“The Hermit”) on his most recent album, The Ruby Cord, is over 40 minutes & is a slow burning but very rewarding blend of deep future science fiction, the post apocalypse, and high fantasy. Here’s a sample stanza:

Vaporous shafts of a burgeoning sun
Skewer the forest-floor onto a world, fresh begun
All in the name of the harvest
I.e. our ever-onrushing plasma

If any of you are genre fiction nerds + weird folk enjoyers, this one’s worth checking out.

6 Likes

Ghost and Pals recently came out with a new EP and I’ve been listening to it for DAYSSSSS.

It’s like surrealist, distorted electronic music with generated vocals.

1 Like

This week has mostly been revisiting the entire discography of Urge Overkill, which is not the most consistent ride to go on, but I’m particularly fond of their album Exit The Dragon and the Stull EP.

More broadly I’ve been obsessed with a colorfully-named Australian band called Tropical Fuck Storm.

Link folded by Mod due to age-restricted video and potentially disturbing imagery (injury including blood) in YouTube one-box thumbnail

YOU LET MY TYRES DOWN by TROPICAL FUCK STORM (TFS) - YouTube

I’ve also been YouTubing clips from the old German tv programs Beat Club and Musikladen (live and mimed music performances from the 60s-70s, lots of good stuff).

Also, this has been my UK folk rock jam lately.

4 Likes