What are you listening to?

Whenever I need a pick-me-up, this song does it.

Kaiser Chiefs - Never Miss A Beat

I love some neo-electro pop for sweltering summer nights (synths sticky to match the moonlight, as one does) and this is an old favourite:

Really enjoying pairing this one with green tea and a fan set on low.

3 Likes

Just saw this song mentioned on a random Tumblr poll and now I’m jamming out to it again.

4 Likes

Stef Kamil Carlens’ (my favourite Belgian musician, as mentioned above somewhere) band Zita Swoon’s (previously named Moondog Jr.) second album, exquisitely named: I Paint Pictures On A Wedding Dress.

Sample song: My Bond With You And Your Planet: Disco!

3 Likes

Did someone say “Belgian band”?

(Were they actually big by you all, or was the crossover success mystifying?)

2 Likes

Well, over here they’re an example of “Very Big in Belgium”, trying to be “Big in America” but never quite getting there.

Good band, good music, glad to hear you enjoy their music.

Wait, are they more successful over there? Good on them!

3 Likes

@DeusIrae

I cannot resist sharing this without any further explanation:

1 Like

Turn your volume to maximum before playing this.

1 Like

So I get that this was just a fun experimental mashup, but could you imagine a band that sounded like this??? This is amazing!!!

4 Likes

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!!

4 Likes

I’ve been listening through some of my characters’ playlists lately, and I’m still really fond of this one track from Joel’s.

2 Likes

I am so obsessed with this. To me probably the album of the year. Worship!

1 Like
Folded due to moderation

[This part of the message was in response to a previous post that was hidden due to a mildly inappropriate stereotype. The original post may be hidden or edited in response so this may seem a non-sequitur - Mod]

I feel like the many cultures, languages, histories, accomplishments, and influences found across the 28 states of India are deserving of far more recognition than a racial stereotype (caused in no small part by corporate pressures from the Global North), especially when the Nooran Sisters specifically are performing music devoted to Sufism, and not to Epson diagnostic codes. :grimacing:

Inb4 “it was a joke”: I just had a red bull because I ran out of meds today, so I am also really hyper and choosing to not follow social conventions and protocols for this interaction, and will instead make it your problem for the moment! :wink:

Also: Desi metal and/or Punjabi metal are already semi-established genres (which I have also shared here before), but a lot of times they lean really heavily into the styles that we normally associate with bands in the USA, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Norway, etc. Bloodywood is the only band I know of that dedicates approximately half of their style to the influences found in the New Dehli region. India absolutely has a metal scene.

Fusing the music from the Nooran Sisters with heavy metal instrumental tracks is really exciting to me because the vocals have a lot of power, but intentionally do not go into fry vocal techniques. I do appreciate fry vocals, which is why I enjoy Bloodywood, but the cleaner vocals from the Nooran Sisters represent a different approach, which has a really fun contrast. It’s a demonstration of the full power of a singer, without also following the conventions of Nordic standards. They demonstrate what that power sounds like for themselves! :star_struck:

Also it brings the listener closer to the styles of Punjab, which can introduce people to new stuff that they might not have been aware of before! :grin: Adventure!

5 Likes

I don’t know nor care about the stereotype discussion.

But I love Bollywood, which includes Indian music. And I sometimes listen to Rock, Hardrock and old school Heavy Metal. Currently I listen to ZZTop.

And I know that China has a Metal scene, too. As have many other countries across the world. As far as I know Pakistan has not much of western style Rock/Metal. That’s at least what a person from Pakistan told me. But I think they have a mix of western and traditional music, which can rock the listener, too.

3 Likes

Listening to Verdi’s Rigoletto, one of my favorite operas. Joan Sutherland might possibly be my favorite Gilda of all time:

4 Likes

This has some of the energy I’ve been percolating around in my brain for a side project.

And then these two songs are just absolute bops that I’ve been blasting on loop:

4 Likes

Music coming out of my own set of bagpipes.

6 Likes

I bought Paradise in Me in the 90s too, and I’m in Hawaiʻi, so thereʻs another U.S. data point for you! This afternoon, I was listening to Slowdive driving home from work. It was sunny, but drizzling a bit. Just superb :blush:.

3 Likes

Dream Wife

Simply put, these girls rock.

1 Like

Ha! Do the young ones here even know what that’s referencing?

3 Likes