What are you listening to?

Fluxion - Perfused

Today’s listening:

One of my favourite albums: Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention

3 Likes

“Dog Breath, In The Year Of The Plague” gets stuck in my head all the time.

1 Like

My favourite from the father of Moon Unit and Dweezil is Joe’s Garage.

[NOTE: Potentially offensive cover-art at link.]

Link updated by Mod

[The one boxed preview to YouTube shows an album cover with Frank Zappa in makeup resembling blackface. Updated by Mod to be a text link so it wouldn’t show directly on our forum. I don’t believe the poster was intending this post as a targeted racial slur in this thread but we’d prefer not to display this unfortunately out-of-date cover art.]

1 Like

Dude…

2 Likes

Oh my God. I thought you were saying “Dude…” like it was a good thing, like nodding your head with the song choice… not a shameful “Dude…”

I had no idea. I can see how some might see the cover as such now that it was pointed out to me. I just honestly didn’t see it at the time. I was just focused on posting what I thought was a good song. I respect the moderator’s choice to remove the image and thank them for seeing it for what it was; an honest mistake and not a statement of any kind.

5 Likes

Well, there is a story behind that cover and it was not intended to be understood as blackface at all. It’s actually grease which was thought to go well with the overall theme of Joe’s Garage. The artwork was notably shot a few years before Joe’s Garage was recorded. It was originally intended to be the cover for Zappa’s album “Läther”.

While I respect the decision of the moderators to remove the reference of the artwork in this forum, I wonder if we should question art in a way that measures it with conventions of the current society. I was once chatting with Chris (who made Adventuron) and he told me he’s a big fan of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five books (so am I) and he was sad that parts of her books were rewritten recently because the language used wasn’t conform anymore with today’s expectations. I don’t want to start a debate about this as this really would be waaaay off-topic in the thread, so I just post a song from New Model Army. And believe it or not, even in 1984 times were changing and the society back then tried to bring things to their level, so they decided to write a song about it. One of my favorite bands by the way.

"They started work this morning down at city square
They’re pulling down the statues of our great grandfather’s hero
The new books said he wasn’t such a great man after all
And anyway remember that the times they are changing"

3 Likes

@8bit_era

Great song! You have great taste in music, man. You can DJ at my wedding any day.

1 Like

Respectfully, I’d prefer if the mods either removed things entirely or not at all. Half-censorship keeps the OP responsible for the content while trying to make the forum look good for its own sake. If mods are going to remove something, best just to remove it and notify OP in private.

I don’t think the mods are trying to shame anyone, but it’s a similar thing.

No comment on whether I prefer full censorship or no censorship personally (neither on this or other topics).

3 Likes

This isn’t my forum so the mods can do what they do. I posted a video link in this thread that got censored for “disturbing imagery (injury including blood)” because the thumbnail was a woman covered in red wine and spaghetti (the music video depicts the band eating very messily). The clip WAS age-restricted content (harsh language in the band name and a drug reference in the song lyrics) and may have warranted censorship for THAT anyway. Oh well, I think it’s to be expected that mods err on the side of safety sometimes, even if it’s frustrating in the moment.

6 Likes

Oh, they do that too. Trust me. I’ve got experience in that sort of thing. :wink:

I know first hand that the moderators are very reasonable though. First and foremost, we’re just here to make and play great interactive fiction. Everything else comes second.

We may not all see eye to eye, but the reason why we’re here is a common ground that must be protected and open to all, at the same time. I think the staff here are doing a pretty good job of keeping us from strangling each other on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Jamming out to this and a bunch of the suggested mixes on Spotify (primarily electrofunk and hyperpop) as of late. Oh, and a lot of Tame Impala. Sharp detour from my recent obsession with hymns and traditional folk songs, but shaking things up is always fun.

4 Likes

Speaking of risking deletion…

I’m gonna introduce everyone here to Kent Osbourne.

There seems to be a pattern of alienation, which connects a lot of his songs, even if the individual songs don’t focus on it.

If you’re a metalhead who doesn’t like rap, then you might really dig his stuff. It’s still 100% rap, but he approaches sound design from a metal direction.

Clowns.

Ease

4 Likes

This song has been stuck in my head for the past… month? Best music to get pumped to do chores :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Best version of this I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

This is a great song. If you disagree, you are are wrong.

Electric Six - Down At McDonaldz

2 Likes

Oh, they do that too. Trust me. I’ve got experience in that sort of thing. :wink:

Not to press it, but I meant exclusively in private.

Anyway, I listened to Metric’s new-ish album for most of the early part of this year. I don’t know how big they are outside of Canada at this point. “False Dichotomy” stands out IMO.

3 Likes

We have to strike a balance. If we subtly and quietly do stuff people think we’re a shadowy Orwellian cabal. We also have no desire to pillory anyone in public, but some have expressed they’d like some public statement when content is moderated.

In this case I could tell it wasn’t targeted harassment and just an inadvertent gaffe. I’ve linked to something on YouTube before and gone “whoa, I’ve never seen that thumbnail…” This didn’t warrant calling anyone to the office for the dreaded finger-waggle. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :joy:

I understand. Music is important, Art is important and sometimes controversial; this could potentially be a worthy discussion if it involved IF, but popular music is technically off-topic and we’d best save the oil-wrestling for our art form!

8 Likes

I totally agree. It was more of an open question as I didn’t really want to start a discussion about this subject.

5 Likes

Found a really cute upbeat song with great summertime vibes. It kind of reminds me of some of the music you’d find in the credits scene for K-dramas or even magical girl animes.

4 Likes