What are you listening to?

Hey cool you actually did part of the music.

I made some contributions to a German band. I was sitting somewhere and did some clowning around with a girl who turned out to be a friend of the band. Sort of unintentional jam session. I was very surprised when years later I found songtexts influenced by me on a CD.

2 Likes

Any of you guys like MCR? Apparently adults love it as well.

2 Likes

I do. I discovered them really late, but I rather like them.

2 Likes

Is that the Black Parade band? They’re not on my radar. I think the closest band I like to MCR (based on the one or two songs I know from them) is maybe Jimmy Eat World. But I’m not huge into that sound even though I like rock. The guitars aren’t angry enough, I guess. :wink:

1 Like

Speaking as a Gojira fan, MCR has moments where they go wild, too. It’s just not their most common state.

2 Likes

There’s only one true Gojira.

3 Likes

Uh, those Don’t Fear The Reaper guys might have something to say about that as well. :wink:

…and Blue Oyster Cult also gave us one of the most profound existential questions to ponder in the history of humanity…

Can there ever be enough cowbell?

1 Like

When I was in a school orchestra, the conductor thought the “more cowbell” meme was the funniest thing ever, and apparently decided someone would play a cowbell twice for every beat, during our rendition of the old-school Batman theme song.

Ever since then, the “more cowbell” meme immediately fills me with incredible, blood-fueled rage. Instant flashbacks to constant, abject confusion and headache-inducing cowbell hits, without any sign of halting.

2 Likes

A sad tale indeed. Not everyone can play the cowbell with the voracity and gentleness required. Some argue that it’s an instrument of angels. Your conductor did not respect the cowbell. The cowbeller in your orchestra was not unlike a child with baseball bats playing the role of a percussionist.

When you say that the cowbell causes you unease, I hear the voice of a broken soul.

1 Like

They’ve been active for a long time—people who were about your age when their first album came out (e.g. me) are in their mid- to late 30s now. So yes, there are a lot of 30something or 40something MCR fans! (I am not up on their newer stuff, though.)

5 Likes

Blood/Blood/Gallons of the stuff/Give them all that they can drink and it will never be enough/So give them blood/Blood/BLOOD/Grab a glass because there’s going to be a flood!

3 Likes

Is “the ambient sounds of my vehicle shaking itself apart” a valid answer to this thread?

7 Likes

A few of my friends (and I) listen to IDM and that artist is pretty popular in the scene /j

5 Likes

Yep. 15/16 yo me blasted Nirvana and RATM and Metallica through the walls and all he got was a polite knock.

“Could you turn it down a bit, son? Think about the neighbours.
Oh,… And could you make a mixtape of those CDs to put in the car-stereo?”

Never experienced any generational conflict based on musical preferences. It probably helped I was listening to Martin Carthy and June Tabor too. And my parents loved Patti Smith (no, not the “because the night” one-off. rather the “Rock’n’Roll word the site replaces with black censure blocks even though it’s the title of a rock song specifically aiming to give that word a recognition and broader meaning for people who are repressed, tossed away, underestimated, looked down upon, denied their rights and talents, just like John Lennon’s " Woman is the ■■■■■■ of the World”.)

----ahhh…mixtapes…----

7 Likes

Oh man, that Babelogue/Rock N Roll ****** one two punch is an amazing part of Easter - I think I had that on repeat for a solid month when I first picked up that album.

(The title is obviously intentionally button-pushing and not something I feel comfortable throwing around so I’m glad the forum software picks up on that)

2 Likes

Yes! Must be listened to with the rising tension of the babelogue as a prelude!

2 Likes

Yesterday’s concert by the South-Korean band Jambinai reminded me it had been a long time since I last listened to Tool.

JAMBINAI잠비나이 - ONDA온다 - YouTube

TOOL - Schism (Official Video) - YouTube

4 Likes
1 Like

:warning: Songdump incoming!

A collection of city-themed music I’ve been listening to lately.

And misc.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing a lot of work on a visual novel that takes place in cave systems and snow, so I’ve been listening to this edit of The Day of Night by Akira Yamaoka from the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack on loop for a few days now. Really good song. Really somber edit.

When I remember to open Spotify, I’ll play the playlist I made for this project, which is a lot of ambient tracks from artists like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, and Wishing. Even the song from the jam version of the game is on there, composed by my wonderful music collaboration partner.

Other than that, I’ve been back into Sneaker Pimps and, of course, the lovely Ella Fitzgerald.

3 Likes