Spike's IFComp 2020 Reviews

Thank you, Spike! We appreciate your thoughtful review!

Did you play the version of the game in the original download or the one online that has been updated? I thought I fixed the hang point you mentioned but need to go back and check.

1 Like

I played the online version.

A review of Deelzebub.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you! I just found and squashed that bug!

Glad I could help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My take on Happyland.

2 Likes

A review of Dr Ego and the Egg of Man-Toomba, an Indiana Jones-style parser adventure.

3 Likes

A review of Shadow Operative, which features some IF-within-IF.

4 Likes

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who didn’t see the twist coming.

1 Like

Hey Spike, thanks for the kind words and thoughtful critiques of Happyland. I’ll take a look at adding multiple undo slots in the next version.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Some thoughts on Ascension of Limbs, which I didn’t manage to see much of despite five or six attempts.

Added: After discovering the walkthrough/strategy guide (I don’t know how I missed it - it’s right there on the IFComp site!), I played through Ascension of Limbs again and managed to see quite a bit more of it. I’ve updated my review accordingly.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the review. About that item: I presume you’re talking about Fasil, which has the “Rumor Eater” ability? It could be considered to be one of the worst items to find, so if you got it several times in early game that must have been some bad luck. There are two ways to counteract it. First is to make sure you have Infamy before every upkeep. To get and maintain Infamy, you can f.e. throw someone out of the store, then “promote infamy” to keep your Infamy high. You can also talk to the seer twice about the item, making her take it away from the store.

1 Like

Thanks! You know, after I wrote the review I realized that Ascension of Limbs has a walkthrough/strategy guide. I don’t know how I missed that before. So I’ve been planning on giving the game another try, but I haven’t found the time yet. Probably later today. I’m sure your hint will help as well.

Edit: Done and review updated!

2 Likes

A review of Vampire Ltd - an Anne Rice-meets-Dilbert sort of game.

4 Likes

Time for some High Jinnks - but not the Hollywood kind.

3 Likes

What a kind review! Thank you! Making someone’s kids think their dad was losing it might be one of the nicest things I’ve read about my own work.

4 Likes

A hopefully not mixed-up review of Tangled Tales.

2 Likes

More of a response to, than a review of, Captain Graybeard’s Plunder.

2 Likes

My sfwjfx of Sage Sanctum Scramble.

3 Likes

Ah, that puzzle number 37. I only got my aha moment after having it explained to me… twice!