Ryan Veeder's Agatha Christie's the Murder on the Orient Express

I have a new game coming out. FOR THE TIME BEING, it is a Patreon exclusive. But you can hear Jenni and me playing it on a new episode of Clash of the Type-Ins and you can stop listening to it whenever you decide you don’t want to hear any more spoilers.

The name of the game is Ryan Veeder’s Agatha Christie’s the Murder on the Orient Express.

26 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Copyright/Parody/Fanfiction/Fair-Use

I would highly encourage anyone tempted to use this game as any kind of precedent or data point in a discussion about adapting non-public-domain works to experience a couple rooms of it first, then, y’know, see how you feel

12 Likes

Well, there’s no such Christie novel as “The Murder on the Orient Express”, so this could be a Predator/The Predator type situation.

3 Likes

From playing some of Ryan Veeder’s “Little Match Girl” games, I suspect nobody will ever accuse him of adhering too rigidly to the source material!

6 Likes

True, those games have nothing like the fidelity of his adaptation of Poe’s Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

2 Likes

This game is very funny and although I’m not a lawyer, it might qualify as a parody.

2 Likes

I will probably try it out. Knowing the content of the “Little Matchbook Girl” series (which is in public domain) I am aware that Ryan strays so far from the source material that it may be a violation in title only. Titles are not copyrighted (you’ll often find dissimilar works with the same title). Titles can be trademarked. Apparently “Murder on the Orient Express” is trademarked (by the Christie estate), due to expire July 4, 2027

Reference: https://anguskidman.show/2023/10/20/the-agatha-christie-trademark-that-expired/

2 Likes

I am very much looking forward to playing this game!

2 Likes

I don’t care what the reason is–a new episode of Clash of the Type-Ins can only be a good thing.

3 Likes

I am pretty biased when it comes to Ryan’s games, but this one has an excellent structure, an amusing tone, and an ingenious antagonist. I’m a huge fan of Poirot adaptations, and I also particularly enjoy several writers and storytellers referenced within the text (who should remain nameless because I was so delighted to be surprised by their inclusion). If you think you might be a clone of me (or perhaps a long-lost twin), you should probably play this game once it’s available to everyone.

2 Likes

When I was a kid, for the longest time I was sure the word was oh-bee-skwee-us and not ob-seek-wee-us and this podcast episode is reminding me that I still think it should be :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have an update! Based on the very positive Patreoneer reaction to Ryan Veeder’s Agatha Christie’s the Murder on the Orient Express, I thought I should enter it in IFComp. So this game will enjoy its public release tomorrow, or, the day after tomorow, or whenever those games enjoy their public release.

I hope you have fun with it! I really like it a lot!

For health reasons I will be trying my best not to read any reviews of this game. If you happen to write a review, first of all I really appreciate your engaging with my game to that extent, but second of all I would extra-appreciate if the header of your review said “HEY RYAN DON’T READ THIS YOU SAID YOU WOULDN’T READ THIS” or something to that extent, ideally in all caps. Of course, if I do a good job on my end, I will never know that you were so kind as to do this for me. But I still appreciate it very much, in a thought experiment sort of way.

7 Likes

“RELEASE THE CLAPPER!” commands Zoos. Purse-eus claps his hands. Medusa’s mouth releases a noxious fume which immediately intoxicates and stones the Crack-en causing it to fall asleep.

What if we DON’T review the game, how should we title that?

Hint request please!

What do the levers do?

How to find the meaning of rhinoceros ? The lady in Yugoslavia isn’t sure .

Is the betting guy at the racetrack’s tip any use for anything ?

First question:

  • Have you opened the trunk in the baggage car?

  • Have you made it through the portcullis at the bottom?

  • Keep going in that direction and you’ll discover seven of something.

  • Each lever affects one of those seven.

Second question:

  • I suspect you may have mistyped it—the lady in Yugoslavia should tell you it means trespassing.

Third question:

  • Yes.

  • Have you seen anywhere else in the game that you can bet on something?

  • How about a casino?

  • Play roulette at the Casino Greco.

2 Likes

Listing all of the lever locations in case it’s useful to anyone! Since these aren’t included in the walkthrough. Also, a general hint/tip: consult the travel guide (which you get from the portmanteau in room 20) often, especially in locations that clearly have unsolved puzzles; it contains vital info in some cases.

All the [redacted]
  1. Roof of Hagia Sofia (Istanbul)
  2. Forest bunker (Yugo-Slavia)
  3. Behind the “40” door in the office in the Tower of Bucharest/Budapest
  4. Under the body of the ballerina in the opera house dressing room (Calais)
  5. In Night 602 of The Thousand Nights and One Nights in Hotel Scheherazade (Constantinople)
  6. Da Vinci’s lab, under the Casino Greco (Vienna) (thanks to @Draconis in the post above for pointing me to this one!)
  7. Within the gold in the tomb in the southwest side of the pyramid of Khufu (Casablanca) (thanks to JJ McC’s transcript for pointing me to this one!)
3 Likes

Have you tried…

  • …using the walkthrough (included in the game’s download zip) to find clues you might have missed?
  • …reading the travel guide in every room?
  • …finding the dig site in the Desert near the Streets of Constantinople?
  • …gathering all 50 clues and entering Compartment 50?
  • …accusing 39 different people of murder?
  • …going backstage at the Kitty-Kat club, examining the yarrow stalks, and throwing them?
    • …decoding the hidden message in the stalks?
  • …Googling that Borges thing mentioned at the Hotel Scheherezade?
  • …opening the trunk in the Baggage Car?
    • …opening the portcullis behind that?
    • …finding the Gate of the Seven Seals behind that?
  • …opening the Gate of the Seven Seals?
    • …discovering the source of all evil and crime on earth?
    • …battling your opponent forever?
  • …reading the source code included in the game’s download zip, spoiling everything?
1 Like

I am having trouble finding the 50th clue.
Is there a point where the game takes certain clues out of play, because listening in Casablanca does not reveal a clue. I checked in my scrollback to make sure that I haven’t tried it before but I haven’t.