Results of the 2022 IFDB Awards!

The awards are in! There were some surprising changes even in the last day of voting, and many of the polls that had too few votes rocketed past the minimum requirements (especially the Language categories, thanks to every one who helped there!)

All polls should now be closed. As I’m doing this solo this time, it’s possible there may be errors in the posted results. Please let me know any that you see!

You may notice some discrepancies between the listed number of votes for a game and the number of little ‘plus signs’ below. This is due to several games receiving votes from accounts that violated the IFDB terms of service. The number of ‘plus signs’ is the true number of votes.

I plan on posting again about my overall thoughts (probably in this thread, but not if it gets too crowded). Thanks to everyone who participated, and looking forward to next year!

Overall Categories

Outstanding Game of the Year - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Game of the Year 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Debut of 2022 - Player’s Choice - an IFDB Poll
Tie:

Outstanding Debut of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Game over 2 hours in 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Short Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Short Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

• Esther’s, by Brad Buchanan and Alleson Buchanan

Outstanding Underappreciated Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Tie:

Outstanding Underappreciated Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Most Sequel-worthy game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Most Sequel-worthy Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Feelies of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Tie:

Outstanding Feelies of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Trailblazer Award of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Trailblazer Award of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Worldbuilding of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Use of Interactivity in 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Use of Interactivity in 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Retro Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Retro Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Language Based Polls

Outstanding German Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Spanish Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding French Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding French Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Genre Polls

Outstanding Fantasy Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Horror Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Humor Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

• Wry, by Olaf Nowacki

Outstanding Humor Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Tie:

Outstanding Mystery Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Mystery Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Tie:

Outstanding Science Fiction Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Slice of Life Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Surreal Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Surreal Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

System-based polls

Outstanding Inform 7 Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Inform 7 Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Inform 6 Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Inform 6 Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Tie

Outstanding Adventuron Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Twine Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Twine Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Choicescript Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
TIe:

Outstanding Choicescript Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Adrift Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Tie:

Outstanding Adrift Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Game in a Custom System in 2022 - Player’s Choice and Author’s Choice

Outstanding Game in an Uncommon System in 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding Game in an Uncommon System in 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding PunyInform Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

Outstanding PunyInform Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Outstanding Ink Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice

• Prism, by Eliot M.B. Howard

Outstanding Ink Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

42 Likes

Wow! What a dazzling list of winners. Congratulations everyone! And thanks, Brian, for putting in all of the effort to make this work.

20 Likes

Congrats to all winner! All deserved!
Thanks Brian for organising this, this was really fun to be part of!

11 Likes

Wow, what a great group of games - and the ones I haven’t played yet look great, too bad are going right on the to-play list. Congrats to the winners and thanks so much Brian for the blood sweat and tears to create this thing!

(And I’m excited to see that from the most sequel-worthy results, in addition to Lady 3ia we can also look forward to 2 Custard 2 Mustard!)

15 Likes

A great listing of Authors! Very well chosen!

10 Likes

Congratulations to everymeowdy! I’m kind of in abject shock over this one- there were tons of great entries in both lists, but lots of hugs and kisses. Thanks so much Brian for all your work organizing everything!

15 Likes

I think Melpomene and the dogs should team up. That would keep Thalia on her toes.

11 Likes

I was just about to suggest a crossover but @AmandaB beat me to the punch! :rage: That said, if Thalia is anything she’s definitely a cat person so the dogs would almost certainly give her trouble.

9 Likes

So, 4 winners? Who are they?

2 Likes

I went through the poll and only counted 3, instead of 4 : The Passenger, The Fernweh Saga, and A Long Way to the Nearest Star.

4 Likes

Thanks @mathbrush for putting this together. Your dedication to IF is very much appreciated.
It looks like the IFDB Awards worked out pretty much as intended, giving credit to lots of games in otherwise less-used categories and also giving some games an extra shot at the title in more common categories.
(@jnelson 's Cain! Yesss…)

I’d confidently wager it would be the other way 'round.

12 Likes

Congratulations everyone, and thank you, @mathbrush, for the organisation! :champagne:

Special shout-outs to

Looking at the plus signs, I see four games having five signs each: the three you mentioned, and The Thick Table Tavern.

10 Likes

This one doesn’t count. TTTT was not my debut as an IF creator :stuck_out_tongue: it shouldn’t have been on the list to begin with (I did mention it to Brian, but someone had added it to the list anyway)

7 Likes

Ah, okay, I see! Yeah, then it’s a three-way tie. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations, everyone! What a terrific group of games. Thanks for organizing, @mathbrush. I’m thrilled to call my IF newsletter Adventure Snack “award winning.” :trophy::nerd_face:

One question: Outstanding Humor (Player’s Choice) appears to be a tie between Wry and Psychic Applebee’s, unless I’m missing something?

10 Likes

There was exactly one vote for Applebees that was disqualified (next year I think we can make the total votes shown not include disqualified votes). If the disqualification was in error and the owner of that vote contacts the ifdb team to get reinstated, the game could retroactively be added in as a tie.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarity. My player base tends to be a lot of outlaws, punks, miscreants, and loose cannons who play by their own rules, so I’m not fully surprised.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was just collateral damage (most of the group voted in a bloc for one specific slate of games and then had some random votes on other stuff).

Congrats for getting one of the highest votes totals for any game in any of the categories; I think your 12 votes for Best Short game was more than any game got in any poll except According to Cain for best game.

6 Likes

Congratulations to all the winners! I’m excited to play some of the games I saw in the polls that I’d missed the first time around—2022 sure was a good year for IF.

9 Likes

What a great way to wake up this fine Saturday morning. Thank you to everyone who voted for According to Cain!

Congratulations to all nominees and winners. And thank you, Brian, for putting in a ton of effort to make this happen. By all measures, the IFDB Awards’ inaugural year was a success.

19 Likes