Question about reviving a decade old topic

I’d like to post in this topic

But the last post was 2014. Is that sort of thing is frowned upon in this particular forum?

4 Likes

Depends on who you ask :joy: and how you engage with the thread in general.
If you necro the thread to add “wow, thanks OP” or “+1”, it’s kinda frowned upon…

It could just be fun to start a whole new thread :slight_smile:
Start it at 0 and get to 500 (OR MORE THIS TIME :stuck_out_tongue: )

I think this thread was from before the Forum moved to Discourse…

4 Likes

Okay. I’ll start a new thread just to be on the safe side XD

2 Likes

Do it! Let your hair down! Throw caution to the wind! My only hesitation is that you might want to wait till June to get the full decade.

6 Likes

I see you’ve started a new topic. You should at least add a link from the old one, just for the experience :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Done.

2 Likes

We just duplicated each other. If I say “Jinx” do you owe me a coke?

https://intfiction.org/t/1000-signs-you-play-too-much-if/65849/7?u=pinkunz

2 Likes

200w
There, I can speak again

2 Likes

[sighs in Moderator]

Usually we prefer you search first instead of starting a new topic. Since we’re a legacy forum, many questions have been asked. An old thread may solve your issue or be revivable since IF evolves and systems are updated. Necro-ing a topic to just say “cool!” or “+1” to bump something unnecessarily is mostly frowned upon, but new relevant questions are fine to start a new topic, and often someone will reference and link to the old topic.

For a non-informational off-topic discussion where you’re just wanting to collect a bunch of replies and make jokes, - IE “forum clutter it probably would have been preferable to just continue the existing thread. We don’t really need multiple versions “how are you feeling today?” or “what songs do you like?” or “let’s all collaboratively write an IF one word at at time!” topics.

I’m not against fun or off-topic discussion, per se, but I’ve recently learned that clutter irks me and fundamentally if you’re trying to reach “500 Signs you Play Too Much IF” (which only got to #218 by 2014) there’s no point in starting a new thread with a goal of hitting 1000.

10 Likes

Wait, that’s a thing!?

2 Likes

1282 more to reach 1500 in total by 2033 or bust!

1 Like

Okay, thank you for responding. The only other forum I’ve really participated on has a vastly different culture than this one and I am still figuring things out here, and this is good to know.

3 Likes

This is something this forum does differently that I love. Drives me absolutely crazy that other forums simultaneously don’t let you ask repeat questions, but also do not let you reply to old threads. If a question was asked and never answered, or if information has changed since the previous answer, then you’re just screwed, I guess. Ugh.

The acceptance of necro’ing here is amazing.

10 Likes

Sometimes necro-ing is appropriate. We try not to harass people for “asking the same question” but … … tidiness. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I now want to send you a calendar missing the last 4 days of each month, except April, which it skips entirely, all without acknowledgement, let alone explanation. Also, every holiday for every faith and nation, past and present, will be crammed into the calendar in type 4 font. Each and every holiday will be printed in a different font.

6 Likes

[hovers over Silence User button…instead, chooses the dreaded Squeaky Hammer™]

[please play this repeatedly for intended effect]

5 Likes

I think he likes it, everyone! :grin:

(Also, that fixed calendar is pretty neat. Does it provide for leap days?)

[Belatedly realizes he should just read it for himself, using the thoughtfully provided link.]

ETA Calendar digression:

Year day existing outside of the week structure is cute and can be neatly omitted on Leap years. Not in love with the 13th month being Sol and in between June and July. Seems pretty northern hemisphere centric. Adding the extra month to the beginning or end would be better. Also, retaining the remaining 12 month names seems intuitive, but I would argue is a bad idea. Any adoption of this calendar would be partial at first, which means, once you get past January, you have two dates only a few days apart, both technically correct between the Gregorian calendar and this one. Which is problematic.

It’s February 17th. Gregorian or International Fixed? Because February 17th Gregorian is February 20th International Fixed. And February 17th International Fixed is February 14th Gregorian. And this gap changes every month by a variable amount.

If they had picked all new month names it would be immediately obvious which system was being used. The 17th of the month of Hanon would be February 14th on the Gregorian calendar. Much less confusion.

4 Likes

This right here is chaotic evil

5 Likes

Then he’ll definitely like this and that.

Some of my friends are responsible for a similarly tidy calendar.

4 Likes

I would quibble actually going through with it would be chaotic evil. Joking about it is chaotic neutral at best. :grin:

Well played.

3 Likes