500 (Maybe 1000?) Signs You Play Too much IF

1. Your front door is boarded up.
7 Likes
  1. Dreaming in Commands: Finding yourself dreaming about typing commands or solving puzzles as if you’re in the game world (> get sheep).

2. Real-Life Narration: Catching yourself mentally narrating your own actions as if you’re in a text-based adventure (“You enter the kitchen and search for a snack”).

3. Obsessive Inventory Checking: Constantly mentally checking your inventory or imagining your possessions in terms of an IF game (e.g., “I possess one automobile key, three cough drops, a receipt from Walgreens, an albuterol inhaler, and a pair of glasses (worn).”).

4. Automated Responses: If someone asks you a question, and your brain instinctively generates options like in the game (“Choose: A) Answer truthfully, B) Dodge the question, C) Make a sarcastic remark”), you might be playing too much.

5. Saving and Loading Mentality: Often imagining if you could save your progress in real life or have a “load” option after making a decision.

6. Dialogue Tree Fantasies: Imagining conversations as if they were branching dialogue trees with different outcomes.

7. Implementing reality: Seeing something in real life, like a location, or a phenomenon, and trying to work out in your head how you might implement that.

6 Likes
  1. Alternate Realities: What if I could UNDO and choose another option?

2. Pack Rat Mentality: Why would I ever DROP (throw away) something? I might find some use for it later.

3. Imagined Security: I am pretty sure if I PUT this UNDER my bed, nobody will find it!

4. Imagined Coolness: (augmentation to Sign 227): Hey I can create an absolutely cool and totally original IF by implementing my own home!

5. Grasping for Plot Ideas: Going through the fantasy and SF works you have read in your mind looking for the Next Best Thing to implement.

5 Likes
  1. You find you can carry an enormous number of items.
5 Likes
  1. If you have a goal task which is obstructed by multiple smaller tasks, you automatically imagine someone typing in commands for you at a parser prompt, and wonder what the game is called.

2. When you meet someone new online, and you image a choice menu appearing after every message. (Slight augmentation to item 8)

4 Likes

Question about reviving a decade old topic

500 Signs You Play Too much IF

Just for posterity. There are some amusing items in the old list, including things that have been since relegated as inconsequential by incremental advances in IF over the preceeding decade.

ETA: Nevermind, OP added the link to the original post.

2 Likes

236.) You find yourself saying Inform standard responses and error messages out loud. Look at yourself in the mirror and murmur, “As good-looking as ever.” Hunt all over for your glasses, saying, “You can’t see any such thing.”

6 Likes

The Mod has Frankensteined this post. If you’re not going to finish the first 500 in the list, you may not start another with the lofty premise of reaching 1000. Remember how I said you can’t have another juice box if you’re going to take one sip and then set it down and forget about it?

Yes, I’m harshing the mellow, but this tweaks my mostly-under-control tidiness obsession and likely other completionist folks.

7 Likes

Okay, #218 plus 18 more is 236. Which means the next one would be #237.

I say we combine goals and try to hit 1500 by Christmas 2033, a decade from now.

ETA: At 240 right now, that leaves 1260 more entries. Christmas, 2033 is 3,686 days from now.

That’s roughly one entry every 3 days.

6 Likes
  1. You are constantly shocked by how many readable pages are in actual books.
6 Likes

Edited my numbering to line up. :grin:

1 Like
  1. You necro a nine-year old thread to express how much IF you play.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Same!

2 Likes
  1. You’ve named your Roomba Floyd.
5 Likes
  1. You ponder the endangered places, those that might only exist in scant photos and passing mention a decade from now, and chew on preserving these in Interactive form. How else would a new generation have the Kmart Food Court experience or live the VHS rental store experience?
2 Likes
  1. Following a bugfix to address Sign 165, boats now always sail east, meaning port/left is always north.
6 Likes
  1. You are standing in an open field west of a white house.
3 Likes
  1. You say “It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.” every time it’s dark inside.
  2. Trying to eat everything you see.
  3. Telling someone “When in doubt, eat.” if they say something you don’t understand.
4 Likes

246 Anytime something goes wrong, you blame some weirdo named Krill

4 Likes

Snagged this one from the other topic. Popped up after posts were moved but before the topic was closed.

3 Likes