PunyInform v3.6 released

PunyInform v2.1 is out.

Some news:

• Games are faster, especially when many objects are in scope
  • You can allow some creatures to be picked up, by adding a DisallowTakeAnimate routine where you return false for all takable creatures.

Details and downloads at Releases · johanberntsson/PunyInform · GitHub

5 Likes

PunyInform v2.2 is out! Some news:

• Define NO_SCORE for a game without scorekeeping. The value of the constant will be shown as the score on the statusline in a z3 game with the “score” type statusline.
  • before-routines are not run for meta actions like Save
  • Parser responds better to bad input

As usual, read the release notes before upgrading!

(Releases · johanberntsson/PunyInform · GitHub)

2 Likes

Thanks !

Done the usual initial work (first and foremost, getting rid of that awkward DummyRoutine in testbench.inf, master copy in if/lib/inf6/puny/, documentation copied in if/doc/lib/inf6/puny/punyxx, examples in if/src/inf6/exa/puny/punyxx, now browsing the docs and examples… there’s already two notes:

in the author’s guide, is surprising that after correctly pointing to diff(1) at page 3, isn’t noticed that a work cut for tail(1) (yes, pun intentional) should be pointed at page 5-6…

The comment explaining the compiler options in minimal.inf and testbench.inf perhaps should be separated from said options by one or two blank lines for an improved visibility, compiler options beginning also with !

(minor, peevish, point, I can’t figure the usefulness of DummyRoutine; IMVHO without all those scores of identical lines testbench.inf is another excellent example, hence the excising Dummyroutine became my the customary first thing to do on a new Puny release…)

as you can see, only minor, if not merely taste-related, issues…

Thanks and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input! The huge DummyRoutine was added to make sure code that decided if a property value was a routine address, a string address or neither was working correctly when strings and/or routines were partially or completely above the $8000 mark, meaning they can be interpreted as negative numbers. The issues we had around this were sorted out a long time ago, so it’s definitely time to remove that routine.

Added some newlines in source too. Good idea.

1 Like

Great release as ususal, together with the latest Ozmoo, the performance is mind-blowing on a stock Commodore 64. :heartbeat:

1 Like

I have just published another PunyInform tutorial:

3 Likes

Very nice. As soon as the Jam Theme is released, I intend to start writing.

Thank you

That should be in 24 hours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it might be useful to see my index of what I intend to cover in my tutorials, so you can see what’s been covered and where as well as what hasn’t been covered yet:

The plan on what to cover isn’t static, so this document will change a bit over time.

PunyInform v2.3 is out. This is a minor update, but has important bugfixes to scope and parser, and optimizations to make games even faster.

Grab it at Releases · johanberntsson/PunyInform · GitHub

4 Likes

PunyInform v2.5 has been released. Bug fixes, a new technical report, and more information on optimizing game code in Game Author’s Guide.

Read the release notes before upgrading the library!

[Releases · johanberntsson/PunyInform · GitHub]

5 Likes

PunyInform v2.6 is out:

• New action Shout, to shout at noone in particular :grinning:
  • Some new synonyms
  • Bugfixes and optimizations

As usual, read the release notes before upgrading!

[Releases · johanberntsson/PunyInform · GitHub]

4 Likes

PunyInform v2.7 is out.

7 Likes

You should name each release for a hypothetical command the release addresses. “Ah yes, I’m running PunyInform’s SHOUT AT POSTMAN release!”

11 Likes

I rather Shout at the Devil - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Coming up next on KINF 95 FM is “Shout at the Postman” by Weird Al Yankovic.

3 Likes

“And coming up next we have Shout At the Postman, by PunyInform…”

3 Likes

Is this Speed IF Jam #2?

1 Like

PunyInform v2.8 released!

• Sample code to handle “push go-kart east” (possibly over a cliff :wink: )
  • Bug fixes
  • Optimizations

Always read the upgrade notes before upgrading! Read more and download at Releases · johanberntsson/PunyInform · GitHub

5 Likes

I’m pulling this into the inform6unix package and found this:

/home/dave/proj/int-fiction/inform/inform6unix/inform -v3 +punyinform/lib punyinform/howto/change_player.inf punyinform/howto/change_player.z3
Inform 6.36 for Unix (in development)
/home/dave/proj/int-fiction/inform/inform6unix/inform -v3 +punyinform/lib punyinform/howto/pushdir.inf punyinform/howto/pushdir.z3
Inform 6.36 for Unix (in development)
"punyinform/lib/messages.h", line 623: Error:  Expected constant but found <expression>
> #Iffalse MSG_EXAMINE_DARK < 1000;
"punyinform/lib/messages.h", line 624: Error:  Expected constant but found <expression>
> #Iffalse MSG_SEARCH_DARK < 1000;
Compiled with 2 errors (no output)
make: *** [Makefile:201: punyinform/howto/pushdir.z3] Error 1
3 Likes