I will try to be brief:
Inspired by another thread ( HERE ) I decided to make a thread which lists the pros and cons of ADRIFT 5 (no one really use ADRIFT 4 anymore, though the games still get played)
I believe almost all parser authoring systems have some advantages, which makes them preferable to some authors. If there was only Inform, many games would never be made.
Having said that, Inform is brilliant in many ways due to both historical and technical reasons. Still some people prefer other systems for parser games. Why?
In this post I only focus on ADRIFT. As an ADRIFT user I am certainly biased but I will attempt to focus on facts. However, I do believe that when ADRIFT 5 is used correctly, the parser can be pretty strong.
Both pros and cons (can be discussed):
- No scripting, all is done with menus and text boxes
- Some html-like tags possible in text boxes, for italic or bold text, audio control etc
- ADRIFT often attracts people with little or no programming experience
- The player can always override colors and text fonts
- Game Development is Windows only.
- Playing is only Windows, Android and online play.
- Android interpreter still has some bugs.
- Online play has limitations: old tech, map not displayed well, background always black, clumsy save-feature, sometimes slow
- Currently only one developer (not counting the developer of Fabularium)
- Thus slow development
- more bugs
- Multiple commands on same line not possible
- Walkthroughs must be copied into a macro instead of the command line
- Too easy to be cutting corners, i.e. not doing things the intended way
- If corners are cut, games often have a bad parser
- If corners are cut, games often have more bugs
- Still some bugs in the Standard Library
- Standard Library can easily be expanded, modified or fixed
- Good parser when commands are implemented as intended
- Automatic mapping
- Fast-travel by clicking on the map
- Easy to include audio and graphics
- ADRIFT-blorbs(.blorb) can be created easily, so music and graphics are in the same file
- Windows executable games can be created by the click of a button
- Standard adventures are very easy to create
- More advanced stuff possible with some practice
I hope I have remembered the most important facts