Pros and cons of ADRIFT 5

Thanks @rovarsson, I did not know that you played them :smiley: However, the first two episodes did not have a strong parser because I was completely new to Adrift in 2016 when I made them. Editing the first two episodes would be a big big task and would require a new round of beta testing.

5 Likes

Bash 1 & 2 were among the first games I played when I came back to IF after a few years hiatus. It must have been 2017, maybe 2018. I wasn’t as well versed in parser conventions or frustrations so I took them as they came and had a lot of fun.

I also felt unqualified to rate or review games then, which is why I reminded myself to do just that with Bash.

On another note, if I were to avoid Adrift games because of their sometimes finicky parser, I would never have found the joy of playing Larry Horsfield’s Alaric Blackmoon games. (The parser can be very fussy sometimes, but they are so much fun! Alaric Blackmoon games(ifdb.org))

5 Likes

I totally agree. They are very old school UK style when it comes to the choice of verbs and most are massive so it is hard to get enough play testers (ironically). Larry knows Adrift very well now (his first Adrift games had more bugs but he is still fixing them) but has a slightly different opinion on verb implementation than I. If people have the patience to get to know his style, there are 14 big games of high quality.

3 Likes

Plus Larry’s Finn’s Big Adventure that I tested very recently. Big game, fussy parser but a whole lot of fun. Would definitely recommend, when it eventually sees the light of day (don’t think it’s being released in a comp). I’ve got a soft spot for ADRIFT. Glad there is a hardcore community of authors still making games with it.

3 Likes

Currently testing that one too. Great fun so far :blush:

1 Like