IFComp 2023 Review Spreadsheet

Woo! Thanks for the preview and (I assume) suggestion.

You posted this 5 minutes after I posted my request for suggestions/pool of entries I figured I’d be interested in, in the author forum, which left me wondering “Oh no did I post that in the wrong place?”

I’ll update this in a few days so people have the weekend to take swings at various entries. Unless of course we get there by then! There’s an outside possibility of that.

My author forum review puts Meritocracy down to 2 left, and The Short Game tackled Escape Your Psychosis, so that makes 24 reviews for 10 entries now.

(Also, folks, note that reviews for “needs 3” are more valuable than ones for “needs 1” for this goal, as it leaves the next person more options of what to review next, but don’t let that stop you reviewing what you feel most comfortable reviewing. It’s a tiebreak at most.)

4 Likes

The Short game had a new episode (thanks @JoshGrams for the head’s up!)

5 Likes

I’ve got Escape Your Psychosis, Prince Q, and For Eternity still in the queue (12 more reviews to go!)

7 Likes

More external reviews found: Five Novel Games From IF Comp 2023 - by Jonah White 🎲🎮🧩

9 Likes

I enjoyed listening to this podcast, and am I am blown away that I didn’t realise the Dick McButts pseudonym explanation of “Janus = two faces” until now…

All this time, I just thought it was just because someone called Hubert Janus would probably go by “Hugh Janus” (pronounced Huge Anus), but it’s actually a double pun - one that references juvenile humour (the content), and also one that references the structure of the game (appearing as two different experiences), via Roman mythology.

Hubert, whoever you are, I salute you.

8 Likes

And we are now at:

• 900 public reviews!
  • Median of 12 for the public and 14 for total reviews

And so close to 1100 reviews total, and just 1 review away from 8/game…

9 Likes

And @jjmcc just wrote the review needed to make all entries having received at least 8 reviews!

9 Likes

Hooray for hitting 8! We’re only 5 reviews away from 9.

• Hawkstone
  • The Long Kill
  • Meritocracy
  • One Knight Stand
  • Shanidar, Safe Return

I could see myself taking one or two of Hawkstone/Long Kill/Shanidar this weekend.

6 Likes

Is there going to be a prediction topic for this comp?

3 Likes

I’ll be making one soon! I saw your comment on the spreadsheet.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I wonder where I’ll be placed in the finalised prediction, considering only 1 IFDB rating… Plus some of the other games, like DMcB.

As far as I remember, in previous predictions published ratings (IFDB, reviews) were taken into account, but the final fortune telling depended as much, if not more, on considerations of length, humour ↔ seriousness, genre, parser/choice, and the extrapolation of where previous IFComp winners fell on these attributes.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! That’s really clever. I wonder which order many of these things fall in? (As in… which is the most and least favourite genre, etc.)

2 Likes

Here’s Autumn Chenn’s attempt at extrapolating the 2021 IFComp results from the period 2018-2020: IFComp score predictions: 2018-2021 - Competitions / IFComp - The Interactive Fiction Community Forum (intfiction.org)

The thread discusses it at some length. The 30th post concludes that the prediction correlates quite nicely with the actual results. All the numbers are still there, and the predictions for 2022 have been linked to somewhere above in this thread.

Fascinating number-juggling

6 Likes

We’re just 2 reviews away from all entries having 9 reviews.

• Meritocracy (relatively straightforward without a lot hidden)
  • One Knight Stand

I’ve reviewed Meritocracy, so I can’t add to the total there. I probably won’t review One Knight Stand except maybe to pinch-hit late Thursday, if it’s the last one to get all reviews to 9 or 10. But I feel OKS is the sort of entry I’m most likely to be unfair to, since it’s in choicescript and contains stats.

Ten seems well within reach. We have 12 targeted reviews to go, 3 entries that need 2 and 6 that need 1.

Here are ones with 9 reviews now. Perhaps someone can say, yes, this is something I’d like to look at.

• For Eternity, Again and Again (very short)
  • Hawkstone (it contains a walkthrough, and it’s a bit long, but if you don’t finish you’ll still have an idea if you like it)
  • The Library of Knowledge (I’ve not reviewed this, plus it was withdrawn, so what to do with this if it’s the only one under ten?)
  • The Long Kill (this is not VERY long, but there’s heavy subject matter)
  • Out of Scope (I’ve not reviewed this)
  • Paintball Wizard (takes place in a frat but it’s not about standard frat hijinks)
  • Shanidar, Safe Return (a walkthrough is really not needed. You can get through without any great mental gymnastics.)

Eleven is possible, but we’d have to target specific entries. So I’ll include the data just in case. We’d need 25 reviews overall for 14 entries, which is a lot to ask, unless we get some late review dumps. (Maybe The Short game will help yet again! If they play 7 games there is a 39*…45/53…*59=13.3% chance they cover 0–everything they covered so far has 11+ reviews. 6 is 17.4 and 5 is 22.9 and 4 is 30.4.)

Eleven

Asterisks are ones I haven’t reviewed yet.
1 Artful Deceit / Creative Cooking / The Engima of Solaris* / The Paper Magician / Ribald Bat Lady Plunder Quest*
2 For Eternity, Again and Again / Hawkstone / The Library of Knowledge* / The Long Kill / Out of Scope* / Paintball Wizard / Shanidar, Safe Return
3 Meritocracy / One Knight Stand*

(By the way, I’m using a script here to figure this out. I attached it. It describes how to create the text file to read. Change -py.txt to .txt.)
10left-py.txt (1.4 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for the spreadsheet and all the reviews.
As i am not so much a digital person, i would have never found all my revies, also because I would not have imagined so many people taking the time to write it all up.
Generally the competition was a great experience, but the reviews are worth gold :slight_smile: As I am new to the forum and the competition, i would never have imagined this.
Thanks <3

12 Likes

The spreadsheet is once more UP TO DATE

Some milestones:

WE HAVE PASSED 1100 REVIEWS!

• The median for the total reviews is also 15.
  • Only one game is awaiting a review to reach the 9 reviews/game (One Knight Stand)
15 Likes

Oh… and we’re like 20-ish reviews away from passing the 2020 total reviews :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Given that it’s been withdrawn, I just wouldn’t count it when determining the minimum number of ratings and so on. Since presumably the author specifically didn’t want this sort of attention.

2 Likes

I’ve removed the entry from the Media/Average as soon as the announcement of the game being withdrawn was published. (though the reviews are still counted in the total)

5 Likes