IFComp 2023 Review Spreadsheet

Having written a game called “The Eleusinian Miseries” and another called “Sting”, I can confirm that this is important.

(But for the latter game, I never would have learned of the New Jersey city councilmember with my name who was caught taking a bribe through an FBI sting investigation. So that’s a nice little twist of the knife).

13 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Author Homonyms

I’ve been incredibly impressed by how many people have posted reviews of a substantial fraction of the games. I’ve got one more review on deck (for Prince Quisborne) but I think that’s all I’ve got in me for this year.

8 Likes

I’m still reviewing and hoping to get to 30 games or so before I have to stop in the middle of next week. But I’ve been wowed by how many enthusiastic new reviewers we have this year. Thanks so much folks! It’s so appreciated. Not just by authors and fellow players, but also by your fellow reviewers. I love reading other reviewers’ thoughts on games I’ve reviewed myself.

13 Likes

I am back! and have updated the sheet with the missing reviews from the Forum
Thanks for keeping track of the milestones since.

Some unmentionned one:

• 29-Oct: all games received 4 reviews
  • Public median is now 10

And we are about 30 reviews away from 900 reviews!

12 Likes

All games have now at least 5 reviews!
And the Total median is now 12!

6 Likes

At least your name isn’t “Jim Nelson.” (Although I do have a funny story about being confused with the ex-editor of GQ magazine…)

6 Likes

We just passed 900 reviews :partying_face:

13 Likes

Very cool! Are we seeing many outside of this forum?

The reviews here have been really great. Such an incredible effort by everyone.

4 Likes

Not much (though I am not sure how it compares to previous years), but reviews posted outside of the forum have been marked as External on the Sheet.

3 Likes

Found someone else doing reviews on tumblr: Digital Journal O.O, Digital Journal O.O

Also Jaclyn Hyde on dreamwidth (@jaclynhyde ?): https://jaclynhyde.dreamwidth.org/8486.html

8 Likes

Here’s one posted just a day ago! This blogger has played a bunch of games, so I’m not sure it’s not someone who already hangs around here and I just don’t know their name?

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s @malacostraca, I believe.

3 Likes

The tumblr digital journal reviews were at least partially posted in this thread.

3 Likes

oops, deleting that column of the review spreadsheet…

1 Like

Welp I missed some things…

• so we not only passed 6 but also 7 reviews for each entry!!
  • the public median is now 11
  • the total median is now 13

And we are reaaaaallly close to 1000!!! reviews

9 Likes

I’ve been away for a while–I admit I haven’t even looked at all the reviews for my entries. But thanks to the reviewers who have made the effort. (I am trying for NaNoWriMo for real. It takes a lot of focus, even with an idea that bumped around in my head for a while!)

I was also pleasantly surprised to see what Manon noted: all entries had a minimum of 7 reviews!

So I poked at the numbers and thought, what if we could hit 10 reviews, private or public, for each entry? Here is what is left as of the morning of 11/6.

Needs 1:

• Artful Deceit
  • Creative Cooking
  • Escape your psychosis
  • Have Orb, Will Travel
  • How Prince Quisborne the Feckless Shook His Title
  • The Library of Knowledge (withdrawn)
  • Virtue

Needs 2:

• The Long Kill
  • One Knight Stand
  • Out of Scope
  • Paintball Wizard
  • Shanidar, Safe Return

Needs 3:

• For Eternity, Again and Again
  • Hawkstone
  • Meritocracy

This puts us at 26 reviews (25 not counting the withdrawn entry) to write in 10+ days. Obviously we don’t want to just write a review for reviewing’s sake, and maybe it’ll be hard to find reviews for the emulated games with the prolific reviewers done.

But if you feel this is a reasonable goal, maybe pick one remaining and see how well it works for you & if you have something to say about it.

Personal notes about entry length: Creative Cooking, Escape Your Psychosis, For Eternity and Virtue are all ones I know to be quite short. I’ve enjoyed others I reviewed in this list as well … you can maybe guess them by looking in the spreadsheet, but I don’t want to endorse anything specifically! (Well, I do. But it feels like putting my thumb on the scale.)

10 Likes

Oooh! Now past 1000 reviews! Well done folks :slight_smile:

9 Likes

OMG Yay!

Now a bit more than a hundred more and this will become the most reviewed IFComp ever !!!
(I think? 2020 was standing at 1124 total, 800 public, but I couldn’t find the sheets before 2019 [see early answer of this thread]. we already passed the review/game ratio)

5 Likes

FWIW - all of these are in the pipeline for REROOT! If I could re-review (reREROOT?) Shanidar I totally would.

6 Likes