Gathering data for master's thesis on interactive literature

Hi everyone,

I’m writing a Master’s thesis about interactive literature (visual novels, gamebooks, text-adventure games, etc.), and more specifically, about the future of interactive literature. And I would like to ask for your help by grading the following possible future scenarios for interactive literature by how likely you think they are and to what extent, on a scale 1 - 10.

In this case, 10 = extremely likely (if not already here), 1 = not at all likely in any part, and if you feel you don’t know enough about the subject of the scenario, you can leave it out or empty, or answer with ’ - ’.

Optional: You can also provide reasoning for you grades.

And if you come up with any additional scenarios feel free to add them in (and grade them as well). I’m interested to see what kind of scenarios I didn’t think about and I might add them to my later questionnaires on other sites.

The scenarios:

1. Text-adventure games and gamebooks will be implemented as interactive audiobooks, played on hardware such as the Amazon Alexa (like in the Skyrim: Very Special Edition trailer).

2. Interactive books, such as gamebooks and choose-your-own-adventure books will achieve mainstream popularity thanks to e-books.

3. Text-adventure games will start to leverage AI more as a content generator or a ”dungeon master”, constantly generating new content and adapting to the players’ actions, such as with AI Dungeon.

4. Text-adventure games will implement AR and VR to complement the text-display (maybe in the style of Matrix’ “you see the text everywhere around you” or by way of pop-ups: images, characters, videos, “holographic” depictions of events, as seen in many sci-fi/cyberpunk detective works).

5. Hyperfiction stories and platforms (such as Twine) will achieve mainstream popularity.

6. Hyperfiction and point and click games will implement AR and VR to at least moderate success.

7. Visual novels without text displays will become popular (being like illustrated audiobooks or interactive cartoons or comic books with voice acting).

8. Visual novels will fade out of popularity and be replaced by more cinematic interactive stories, the likes of Detroit: Become Human.

9. VR Visual novels, such as Tokyo Chronos and Koikatsu VR, will become popular.

10. Visual novels have reached their zenith state and will be the most popular form of interactive literature just as they are.

11. Visual novels will implement AR (Augmented Reality), and be readable/playable with, for example Google Glass.

12. “True” gamebooks, such as the Fighting Fantasy series, will achieve mainstream popularity.

I’ll use the results in my thesis to see what readers, developers, and otherwise interested parties think about the various future possibilities for interactive literature, and whether or not there is one or two scenarios that standout above the rest. I won’t be gathering any names or anything, only the grades and, if given, the reasons behind the grades.

If you would like to talk about the topic more in private, you can DM/PM me.

PS. I know most of them are not necessarily, what some might call, “author friendly”.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting project!

However, when we’re talking about the likelihood of something happening in the future, we need to consider the time frame as well. 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 100 years? Otherwise, it will come off as unlimited time and money, which will give a different answer than in the near future.

Regarding popularity, I would categorize them based on authorship and readership. Linear fiction will always be more popular with authors due to ease of construction. Interactive IF, may or may not be popular with readers, but will never achieve the mainstream production level of linear fiction.

How about branching narrative? CYOA type is more popular, but how much is necessary to be considered mainstream? The ease of construction indicates different yields. Twine and other text based Branching IF are reasonably popular. We see them in apps, webs, and even unique platforms such as audio only Alexa. Visual Novels are popular in Japan, and somewhat less but still considered viable elsewhere. But as graphic visual representation gets more sophisticated, authorship declines, hence less mainstream.

This doesn’t even consider story based games, where you have games with linear story. JRPG, for example, have a tendency to have dramatic but linear story, whereas CRPG have a tendency of open world environment but less dramatic storyline.

Sorry to ramble, but my opinion is that unless author tools are as easy as possible to the point of thoughtless mechanical production, the product will never achieve mainstream acceptance, simply due to lack of availability.

1 Like

Parser IF has a revolution like vinyl has had! Parser craze sweeps through high schools! Graphics are a thing of the past! Emily Short wins a Nobel Prize in Literature!

Those are my predictions for IF.

5 Likes

Guesses:

1. some
  2. less
  3. few
  4. some
  5. no
  6. some
  7. yes
  8. yes&no
  9. yes
  10. no
  11. rare
  12. no

Recently, I’ve been thinking about the difference between a VN and Twine-like, choice-based IF.

Now most VNs are choice based and are therefore also choice-based IF. But, of course, it’s not a VN without images. Yet many Twine games have images, so are they also VNs?

Is the difference just the balance ratio between images and text, or is there something else? the UI? the usual type of content? Are VN’s comics? etc.

I consider them to be “stage plays”. Novel/IF have manuscript (narrated stories). Stage play/VN have script ( character dialogs). Movie/Game have Set/Playground (environments).

But be careful discussing the distinction here because it’s too controversial. Best to put it out on separate thread due to high likelihood of flame war.

2 Likes

I’m actually just interested in others’ opinions.

You have a good point there, that it’s about design. I’m building an IF game right now and i want to add more character dialog, because i think this is often underrepresented. Will be interesting to see if the result is more of a VN than a novel. Yet i still want it narrative driven.

My predictions on everything are off pretty much all the times, but I thought I’d give it a shot.

1- 9/10. I’ve seen several projects like this underway, and a few are already complete.
2- 10/10. Interactive books have already achieved mainstream popularity. Choices and Episode make tens of thousands of dollars a day. If you only count material with no graphics at all, 3/10.
3- 4/10. I think people will try it, but most AI text is boring.
4-1/10. Don’t think it will take off .
5- 10/10 already have when combined with mostly-static images
6- 3/10 I see ‘walk around to trigger choices’ as more likely to be successful in VR than point and click
7- 4/10. Text has the benefit of not needing concentration or headphones, and can be picked up and put down at all times. But I’m not sure about this one.
8-1/10 I think it’s an eternal medium.
9- I don’t know enough about this to comment.
10- 7/10 I think they’re zenithed but not the absolut most popular.
11- 6/10 I could see this
12- 4/10 seems eternally niche

2 Likes

This is kind of an odd question to ask here. What do any of us know about future mainstream popularity? I mean, we’re the fans here – you’re asking for the most biased opinions available!

On top of that, to express an opinion about the future of VR IF, I have to be right about the future of VR also.

As it happens, I think VR will never reach mainstream success. (Although it will continue to buzz along as a niche as long as Facebook wants to keep losing money on it.) AR has yet to be seriously tried. So that’s half your questions right there. But you have no reason to think I’m right about VR.

3 Likes
  1. (interactive audiobooks) 10/10. It’s inevitable someone will at least try this if it hasn’t been done already.

2. (interactive books achieves mainstream popularity) I’d give a 1/10 to the premise that straight-up text (or text with a few illustrations) CYOA ever again approaches the popularity it had when it was a novelty and a 10/10 to the premise that something that could be described as an interactive book will achieve mainstream popularity.

3. (text adventures leverage AI more) Again, we get to definitions. I’d give a 10/10 to the likelihood that we’ll see increased use of procgen content in text adventures. Some of those will use techniques labeled AI. If the question is whether there will be a game actively moderated by an AI either modeling a narrative understanding of the content in the same manner a GM of a TTRPG does, or providing a convincing simulation of same? Then I don’t know. In the past decade or so, AI learning systems have achieved things that had very recently been considered out of grasp for decades to come. I don’t think we should put a lot of faith in our intuitions about what’s possible. However, if it happens, it’ll be achieved first by an organization with a lot of resources to throw at it, and that won’t be in the service of text adventure games.

4. (Text adventures incorporate AR/VR) When does a text adventure stop being a text adventure? We’ll definitely see AR/VR games that include text elements. I think the odds of getting an AR/VR game that’s so dominated by text that it could be called a text adventure using AR or VR are about the same as getting a movie that’s primarily text.

5. (hyperfiction achieves mainstream popularity) I’m not sure where the border between hyperfiction and interactive books is supposed to be. Anyway, same as #2, 10/10 that something describable as hyperfiction achieves mainstream popularity.

6. (hyperfiction incorporates AR/VR) Same as #4.

7. (Visual novels without text like illustrated audiobooks or interactive cartoons or comic books with voice acting will become popular) Maybe I don’t understand the broader game landscape well enough, but aren’t there current videogames that could credibly be described this way?

8. (Visual novels will be eclipsed by more cinematic interactive stories) 10/10. They won’t go away, but “Will flashier version of X eclipse X in mainstream mass appeal?” is a no-brainer.

9. (VR Visual novels, such as Tokyo Chronos and Koikatsu VR, will become popular.) How similar does something have to be to Tokyo Chronos and Koikatsu VR (neither of which I know) to satisfy the question?

10. (Visual novels are the zenith) 0/10

Whether the results are labeled fiction or games, new technology is going to allow art that incorporates a greater degree of interactivity; someone will try using it; some version of that will get popular at some point (barring catastrophic collapse of technical/economic/ecological infrastructure…)

1 Like

I think you’re right about VR.

By 2037, humanity will have merged with Machine, and our electrified ululations shall echo eternally. I don’t know if that answers your question.

2 Likes

VR. Isn’t this a question of time. Will anyone be using screens (at all) in the 23rd Century?

Keyboards (with today’s key arrangement) started in the 19th century. So maybe.

If Nintendo 3DS (ended production at 76 million unit) is of any indication, then people aren’t impressed with cardboard cutouts in 3D environment. PS Vita (no 3D) has better VNs, I think.

Fascinating questions being raised here. Here are my non-expert answers, assuming a 25-year time horizon.

1. 6

Text-adventure games and gamebooks will be implemented as interactive audiobooks, played on hardware such as the Amazon Alexa (like in the Skyrim: Very Special Edition trailer).

As Mathbrush pointed out, this already exists. I just did a quick Google search for “Alexa gamebook” and found several products that seem to fit the bill. But since the prompt asks for a grade based on how likely it is and to what extent, I gave a moderate grade based on the fact that I don’t anticipate these projects will ever become very common or popular, even compared to traditional text adventures and gamebooks, which already are not very popular.

The existing ones that I found have, at most, a few dozen reviews on Amazon. And my thinking is that an interactive audiobook is, by its nature, even more of a niche product than a traditional text adventure or gamebook. Interacting with text on a screen is convenient because the reader can go at their own pace and reread stuff if they want to.

Of course, an audiobook is convenient in its own way - you can easily listen to it while doing something else - but that advantage is probably lost when it concerns an audio gamebook that demands a higher level of attention and engagement from the listener.

Thus I don’t foresee a huge interest in this type of thing, because it’s a medium that seems to offer less inherent advantages than adjacent media for most prospective consumers. The exception would be sight-impaired people.

On the other hand, I can think of one “dark horse” contingency that could turn audio gamebooks into a smash hit: the invention of a brain-computer interface that allows users to process digital audio at the speed of thought rather than the speed at which it was recorded. But I’m not so sure about that becoming widely available in the 25-year time horizon I set. Maybe within 50 years.

2. 4

Interactive books, such as gamebooks and choose-your-own-adventure books will achieve mainstream popularity thanks to e-books.

I’m going to interpret the term “e-book” more narrowly than some others here have done, and assume it refers specifically to the kind of thing you can get on a Kindle: a work of ~100% text buttressed by absolutely no interactive user interface, where the only interactivity is provided by the reader moving from one page to the next in classic CYOA style.

That kind of thing is indeed being sold on Amazon already, and there’s a decent market for it. A quick search for “choose your own adventure” on the Kindle store revealed many titles with hundreds, often thousands of ratings. And a product that has been rated by thousands has probably been read by tens of thousands at least.

Does this qualify as mainstream popularity? I would say no, but admittedly, it depends how one defines mainstream.

Do I expect these types of products to become much more popular than they currently are? No. They’re on Amazon and easy to find. I think they’ve reached their audience and will be lucky to maintain it.

3. 8

Text-adventure games will start to leverage AI more as a content generator or a ”dungeon master”, constantly generating new content and adapting to the players’ actions, such as with AI Dungeon.

It should go without saying that AI is in its infancy and will become more capable over time; presumably this includes creative AI as well. It will not be surprising when AI adventure-generators become sophisticated enough to tell cohesive stories and interpret user input faithfully.

But it also bears mentioning that the discipline of humans using AI for creative purposes is also very much in its infancy. A lot of people still think of this as a binary proposition: either a human author or an AI-generated environment like AI Dungeon. It seems to me that there is much untapped potential for humans to collaborate with AI, actively curating its output to suit their artistic vision, to produce works of finite length.

With that in mind, I’m going to speculate that (at least within the next 25 years - all bets are off if we were talking a century or two) there will be much expansion in the use of AI for constant content generation, but even greater expansion in the use of AI as a step in human authors’ creative processes.

4. 5

Text-adventure games will implement AR and VR to complement the text-display (maybe in the style of Matrix’ “you see the text everywhere around you” or by way of pop-ups: images, characters, videos, “holographic” depictions of events, as seen in many sci-fi/cyberpunk detective works).

I don’t expect much from VR. It was cool for a while in the 90s, then the novelty wore off and people realized it was a pain to use. Now it’s cool for a while again but still as much of a pain. The novelty will wear off again.

AR seems more promising, and has plenty of applications in gaming, but it seems to work at cross-purposes to most forms of text-based gaming. The point of AR is that it allows digital graphics to be superimposed on the real world. This doesn’t seem like a very good fit for a genre that depends upon the player reading text and imagining a whole different world.

That said, cyberpunk is hot. As it becomes easier for common folks to develop content with AR elements, text adventure hobbyists will inevitably create cyberpunk-themed AR games specifically to take advantage of the aesthetic. The same thing may be true for other genres that synergize especially well with an AR presentation because it simulates something that you would experience in the fictional universe. So, basically, we’ll see AR being used to simulate worlds in which a character would be using AR.

5. 2

Hyperfiction stories and platforms (such as Twine) will achieve mainstream popularity.

I’m going to assume that hyperfiction, in this context, is synonymous with hypertext game.

This is another question that really depends on how one defines “mainstream.” I’m beginning to think I have a loftier idea of what mainstream popularity entails than other people do. In my mind, if something hasn’t reached at least a million people, it’s nowhere close to having mainstream popularity.

Have a million individuals played some form of hypertext game within the past few years? I doubt it. If so, I’m woefully out of the loop, so please tell me about it.

Is the hypertext hobbyist community growing? Probably, but I see no indication of rapid growth. So barring some unexpected cultural shift that elevates the virtues of hyperfiction (whatever those virtues may be) to a place of as-yet unknown reverence, this seems like a nope.

6. 4 and 9

Hyperfiction and point and click games will implement AR and VR to at least moderate success.

Are we talking about technical success (i.e. producing a fun or otherwise artistically meritorious game) or popular success (i.e. using AR and/or VR to reach a moderate audience)? I’m going to assume the former, mostly because I don’t want to answer the latter, since I think “moderate audience” is even harder to define than “mainstream popularity.”

Again, I’m going to focus on AR.

For hyperfiction: 4. As with question 4, I don’t see a lot of synergy between AR and text-based media, except for specific genres like cyberpunk - and even then it might be a PITA to read. There would be a tradeoff between ease of use and aesthetic impressiveness.

For point and click: 9. Now here’s a combo that makes sense, because point and click is a model that can actually take advantage of AR’s ability to involve the real world. At some point, it will be possible for AI to use a camera to reliably recognize household items. From there, it’s a short conceptual leap to a point-and-click game set in one’s own house. Maybe a digital item will be scripted to appear behind your drapes or in your toaster oven.

7. 1

Visual novels without text displays will become popular (being like illustrated audiobooks or interactive cartoons or comic books with voice acting).

Many visual novels do include full voice acting already, but they still have text alongside it, and there’s a reason for that. People choose to read visual novels because they like what the format offers: you look at words and images on a screen and process them at your own pace. Mess with that, and you mess with the appeal.

If a visual novel became like an illustrated audiobook, that would not be a very compelling synergy, because it loses some of the main benefits of both media. It can’t be read at one’s own pace like a traditional visual novel, nor can it be fully experienced simply by listening to it while perhaps doing something else or relaxing with one’s eyes closed. In these respects, it’s the worst of both worlds.

Something like a “comic book with voice acting” might work. But at that point, I would consider it a totally separate format from a visual novel.

Same caveat as question 1: if it becomes possible to process digital audio at the speed of thought, then that changes everything I just said.

8. 2

Visual novels will fade out of popularity and be replaced by more cinematic interactive stories, the likes of Detroit: Become Human.

Visual novels have been around since at least the mid-80s. But even today, a well-received VN can sell hundreds of thousands of copies, and it’s not clear to me that the market for them has even weakened at all. Take a look at this table from Wikipedia:

Coincidentally, I’m 49% sure that the last time a VN did something truly innovative on the design side was YU-NO in 1996. By this time, VNs were already technically unsophisticated compared to other types of commercial video games, and the gap has gotten vastly wider since then.

Bigger-budget video games with cinematic sequences and interactive narrative elements in the vein of Detroit are nothing new either. If they haven’t tanked the demand for VNs yet, I doubt that they will anytime in the foreseeable future.

9. 4

VR Visual novels, such as Tokyo Chronos and Koikatsu VR, will become popular.

As above, I believe VR gaming is mostly a fad. That said, VNs are more likely than the other types of media asked about here to be able to achieve at least a temporary boost in popularity by taking advantage of the fad. The synergy makes sense: VR can put the player into the metaphorical shoes of a character interacting face-to-face with other characters, as constitutes the bulk of most VNs, which might be pretty cool. And since VNs have decent commercial prospects, studios with deepish pockets are still developing them; they have the resources to design polished products for VR right now.

As a side note, Koikatsu as an example of a VN seems like quite a stretch to me.

10. 1/???

Visual novels have reached their zenith state and will be the most popular form of interactive literature just as they are.

I’ll treat these two propositions separately.

Visual novels have reached their zenith state: 1. This may sound like an odd position to take since I already opined that not much innovation has happened in the medium since 1996. But even so, there are tons of indie VNs devs active today; tools like Ren’py have made it possible for anyone with some spare time on their hands to make their own VNs. Someone will come up with a paradigm-expanding new idea, eventually. Maybe it’s already out there but just hasn’t caught on yet.

…and will be the most popular form of interactive literature: impossible to evaluate, interactive literature is too difficult to define, and attempting to do so would go way beyond the scope of this answer.

11. 7

Visual novels will implement AR (Augmented Reality), and be readable/playable with, for example Google Glass.

I’d expect this to be a stronger trend among VNs than among text adventures or hyperfiction, mostly because VNs collectively have more money behind them and can afford to experiment. But the synergy also seems much stronger, since the typical VN is more about interacting with characters and less about exploring locations and using objects; I can easily see a VN that uses AR to superimpose its characters into the player’s real-life location.

12. 1

“True” gamebooks, such as the Fighting Fantasy series, will achieve mainstream popularity.

What shall be was. What was shall be.

I predict that in the 2080s, after many years of libertine ethics dominating the public sphere, the rise of a new political coalition will usher in an era of social repression and moral panic. In this fraught environment, someone will rediscover the long-lost Fighting Fantasy series and loudly decry it as the work of Satan himself, which will naturally encourage young people all over the world to get their hands on it. Thus oldschool gamebooks will undergo a renaissance on a scale that we can scarcely imagine.

But it won’t happen within the 25-year time horizon I set for my answers, so 1.

1 Like
    1. Text Adventures for Visual Impaired is a thing.
    1. Choice, maybe. Gamebook less so.
    1. Rogue-like, maybe. Chris Crawford-like? I don’t think so.
    1. AR/VR isn’t conducive to pages of text.
    1. Not for lack of technology, but desire.
    1. Visual is good. Relatively easy to do.
    1. VN will always have text even if fully voiced.
    1. VN will not go away. There will be tools to do it right on your smartphone, if not already.
    1. Maybe. Maybe not.
    1. There will still be novel ideas to come. Papers, please and Valhalla(sp?) for example.
    1. Maybe.
    1. Nope. I’m guessing Romance genre will be more popular than Action/Adventure.
  1. Text-adventure games and gamebooks will be implemented as interactive audiobooks, played on hardware such as the Amazon Alexa (like in the Skyrim: Very Special Edition trailer).

This has already been tried, though I don’t believe it caught on extensively. I’ve seen Google and Alexa games mentioned on this forum in passing but very little recently. Interactive audiobooks are a decent idea especially for the visually impaired and many types of IF can work with existing text-to-speech solutions, however I believe beyond a very simple branching narrative it sounds as though it would be unweildy - like navigating a customer service menu when you call for tech support, but for a long time.

1. Interactive books, such as gamebooks and choose-your-own-adventure books will achieve mainstream popularity thanks to e-books.

Again, this has been tried and didn’t generate a lot of activity. I have seen a couple of “full length” CYOA books advertised as the next thing on Kindle, but again these seems to be very niche as most of IF. Bandersnatch on Netflix was a neat idea and got some traction, but the format isn’t really efficient nor interestingly cost-effective for mainstream - as was the idea of 3D television.

1. Text-adventure games will start to leverage AI more as a content generator or a ”dungeon master”, constantly generating new content and adapting to the players’ actions, such as with AI Dungeon.

AI Dungeon was a novelty and was interesting as a prototype, but like most procedural text generated fiction, AI and procgen is more of interest to academics, creators, and experimentation rather than casual players. See the “10,000 Bowls of Oatmeal” problem. AI and procedural text generation will probably always be a tool for narrative designers, but the writing for it is only as good as the seed-prose provided by an author. For mainstream games that can generate levels randomly, the best ones that aren’t just incessantly random require authored building-block sections that can be infinitely rearranged. Prose text of quality is much harder to generate without being the Mad-Libs quests that Daggerfall could hand out.

1. Text-adventure games will implement AR and VR to complement the text-display (maybe in the style of Matrix’ “you see the text everywhere around you” or by way of pop-ups: images, characters, videos, “holographic” depictions of events, as seen in many sci-fi/cyberpunk detective works).

AR and VR really aren’t complementary to a primarily textual medium. I’m not sure what is improved by text flying around me to explain I’m standing west of a white house? Text adventures tend to be more akin to reading and low-tech and that’s a good part of the appeal. I’m not going to strap a rig onto my head nor buy an expensive 3D tabletop just to see text in a different way. And while the idea of a Minority Report style display is cool, it would likely be a bit of overload for telling a story.

1. Hyperfiction stories and platforms (such as Twine) will achieve mainstream popularity.

I think Twine is used internally by a lot by developers for prototyping works - the opening of Firewatch was conceived in Twine and does that for about five minutes in the opening before becoming an exploratory 3d game. I think “interactive fiction” as a game format has been working its way into mainstream media and games more of a flavoring ingredient in larger works, but few will want to solely read text and make choices or type text back as the entirety of the experience. And fewer will want to pay for it to make it commercially viable.

1. Hyperfiction and point and click games will implement AR and VR to at least moderate success.

See above. If you’ve got all this technology, why just display text?

1. Visual novels without text displays will become popular (being like illustrated audiobooks or interactive cartoons or comic books with voice acting).

Visual Novels are already probably the most commercially popular IF adjacent format currently. They probably will not lose text display completely, but fully voice-acted VNs are common and usually depend on the budget of the studio/creator.

1. Visual novels will fade out of popularity and be replaced by more cinematic interactive stories, the likes of Detroit: Become Human.

One of the strengths of IF (and to some extent Visual Novels) is that they can be created by one person or a small group with low or no-budget. I don’t believe the tools and personnel to create full motion-capture visuals and cinematography on the level of Detroit will ever be in reach of those individuals and groups, so while I don’t think standard VN will ever be popular in every household, they probably will continue to exist. Anyone can pick up Inform or Twine or Ren’Py and make a game by themselves, and there will always be hobbyists.

1. VR Visual novels, such as Tokyo Chronos and Koikatsu VR, will become popular.

I think VR will be limited to occasional “special events” for those who have the tech, rather than the norm. I believe this is proven by the fact that VR pornography exists, but hasn’t taken over the industry.

1. Visual novels have reached their zenith state and will be the most popular form of interactive literature just as they are.

I think VNs can continue to evolve - graphically and story wise - but they are quite settled in their current format and won’t go away just as people will always still read print books.

1. Visual novels will implement AR (Augmented Reality), and be readable/playable with, for example Google Glass.

Same as question #9. If you’ve got a big screen TV, you’ll see the movies bigger but not everyone buys into the tech.

1. “True” gamebooks, such as the Fighting Fantasy series, will achieve mainstream popularity.

Depends on the definition of mainstream. I think gamebooks are their own niche - essentially both IF and boardgame-adjacent as dice rolling, solo D&D style campaigns - and likely as “mainstream” as D&D ever will be. Just like boardgames might be considered “mainstream” - most people have played Monopoly, but far fewer have played D&D or would ever consider it.

1 Like

Thanks for answering everyone!
You have some pretty interesting answers (even though I don’t think I can accept all of them for my thesis), and some pretty interesting questions. I’ll try to answer some that I can as best I can:

When it comes to the time frame for the “future” , you are free to consider what ever timeframe you want, or even provide answers for multiple timeframes. The point is simply to consider what YOU think will happen in the future in regards to the scenarios.

And I don’t personally consider games to be part of my research area, as I would not define them as literature. Of course this raises the more philosophical question of when does a piece of interactive literature (such as a visual novel or a text adventure “game”) become a game and when does a game, such as an RPG, do the opposite? Or is there really a distinction at all? Which brings me to a crucial point in my thesis…

Many of the scenarios, actually imply a destruction of literature as it stands now (as defined by me) in that they strip away certain things that I consider to be essential for the definition of literature at the current point in time.
Is an audiobook a piece of literature even without text, and if so, is a ghost story invented and told by campfire also a piece of literature? How about a really complex lie? What about a text-based puzzle game without any actual story, is it a piece of literature? Could an action game be a piece of literature?

This is one of the main points of my thesis, will literature be what it is now in the future? And will it be defined the same in the future?
Answering these questions, however, is not the point of this thread, and I, just like most of us, probably aren’t going to be able to answer these before the future actually comes. But the reason I ask about the scenarios is to get at least a little glimpse of what the future might hold.
(I personally do think that the future of interactive literature will guide the future of literature as a whole, bringing along new platforms and new definitions)

And the reason for asking around in different forums specifically, is exactly to get the bias from people who are in interested in the field, just as well as from people who are not. Biases differ, and I hope they will even each other out to provide more solid, realistic answers when put together.
On another forum, I got mostly answers which, more or less, denied all the scenarios saying that, either they already exist, or there is not a snowball’s chance in H*ll that they would ever come to pass. Here I’ve already seen more of the exact opposite in opinion, giving more or less a zero-sum thus far for those scenarios. People there brought out certain points that people here thus far haven’t, and vice-versa, all thanks everyone’s bias towards the topic, which is exactly what I want.

The word literature, as you well know, is simply a Latinized version of the word boccræft (book-craft) - that which deals with the printed word in book (bound) form. Anything not printed on paper and bound in a book is “not literature,” if you want to define it that way, meaning Hemingway on your Kindle doesn’t qualify.

As for the boundaries between story and game, that’s an altogether different matter. There are games with minimal stories and stories with minimal games and everything in between.

I’m really not sure how a number of non-qualitative polls of vaguely defined cohorts are going to help you argue for or against anything in your thesis, but that’s for you to worry about.

But in terms of predicting the future? Come on. The most prolific generator of words TODAY is Twitter, in which millions of people write bite-sized stories called “tweets,” named after the chirping sound made by a bird. Literally, no one would’ve ever predicted its existence, and yet here it is! :bird:

1 Like

Games are an art form, separate from literature, with its own craft, theory, and discourse. The games vs. literature dyad is illusory, and usually comes off as an attempt to pit “high culture” against a “low culture” interloper.

That doesn’t mean they don’t converse, but this isn’t a zero-sum game.

Gaming isn’t out to destroy or displace literature any more than film sets out to destroy photography.

2 Likes