Deliberately repeating text

An idea sprang from the thread [GoodNovel Team] Looking for Interactive Fiction Writers where we lamented that writers are doomed to be judged on how many words they churn out.

And I didn’t see the point of that, because in IF we can generate text programmatically.

So this thread is to solicit examples of where in a story/game you can deliberately repeat the same text, perhaps with extra impact, depending on context. And you know, bump up your delivered word count.

My example to kick off with is a textual rendering of being-chased-through-the-maze, like the castle maze in Zelda Spirit Tracks for example.

I wonder if a player would enjoy these two stanzas (I wrote them just now), repeated (maybe by a famous actor), until they found the exit:

Therefore he creeps behind so close as to slap them on the forehead. His breath steady, his step light, and they do not perceive him. He borrows their power; so must thieves stand aside, daring not to delay him.

and then alternately:

Or he takes up dancing; he spins with arms oddly up and aloft, until beggars laugh to throw him their pennies. Those guards in disgust put him to their backs again.

You could go round and round like this for ages.

1 Like

How about a game wherein the narrator is going mad? As time goes on, the narration gets weirder and wordier.

2 Likes

If you scraped this forum for my posts, and ordered them by date, that might well be what you’d get :grin:
Also, I need to come clean about my despicable hack. Edit the title of the post to bump the thread.

1 Like

I’ve seen choice IF where all the choices are identical for dramatic effect (Turandot has a brilliant example towards the end), but I’m not aware of anything similar with regard to the narrated sections (either in parser or choice).

3 Likes

My favorite example of that is in “Day of the Tentacle” with the choices of “Er…”, “Um…”, and “Duh…”.

2 Likes

The “Just Monika” segment of Doki Doki Literature Club.

Also, not really textual, but the loading screen of The Stanley Parable reads
THE END IS NEVER THE END IS NEVER THE END IS NEVER THE END IS NEVER…

There’s also “THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN” in Fallen London.

4 Likes