Cragne Manor hint thread

Thank you Matt W!

Good job on reaching it!

Hoping that someone can help me out of my stuck situation.

I have expelled the horse but am still outside.

I think, my cup says, that i should be able to use the vending machine (finally).

any pointers with the glyphs greatly appreciated!

Good job on that puzzle. You absolutely can complete the first room in its entirety:

Have you looked at all the scenery in that room? There’s a few very distinct objects you can interact with.

This will move you on significantly with one of the puzzle tracks but won’t help you get into the manor though.

Without spoiling any solutions, here’s the list of rooms that have to be unlocked before being able to get the key to the manor:

Outside the train station, Bridge, Back Garden, Shed, Under The Bridge

thanks for the tip! didn’t think to reexamine the scenery! classic fail.

Hello! The game is great, but it seems I’m stuck. Please help.

I don’t have access to the manor, but it seems I’ve done most what I could outside (coffee agrees). I assume that to get access to the manor, I need to do something down the hatch. Coffee says I’ve completed hobo room and smuggler room and need something I don’t have for the room with the door. So, should I do something with the woman? I tried various things but nothing works. Please give me some hints. :nerd:

trufexus–have you tried going

up from the hobo room?

There’s more rooms there, in which you might find some thing or things that you need. It might be a bit confusing because

the ladder in Tunnel Entrance (Grueslayer’s hobo room) is different from the ladder in Tunnel (Drew M’s room under the hatch)

As for

the woman–there’s nothing to do with her. She’s just there to kill you if you get careless.

Thank you! I never realized I can go that way.

Hello! TIA for the help. I have been playing for a few days and refused to look online for any help until I finally got stuck. Now, I’m well and truly stuck and there isn’t a formal walk-through anywhere so I’ve stumbled on this thread. :slight_smile: I’ve made a pretty detailed map and figured out most of the Variegated Court and AFAIK, I’ve explored most of the town and the manor. I’ve completed nearly everything mentioned in this thread (except the cellar references, so I’ve been ignoring those posts) but there’s a few rooms I can’t complete and the coffee tells me I need to go elsewhere. Here’s where I need a hand:

In the family plot - I can’t get whatever’s in the west wall of the empty grave. It may be a verb thing, but i can’t seem to get it. I have spent hundreds of turns emptying that grave and exploring and dying (or jumping out in time to avoid dying).

In the kitchen - I can’t get into the cellar.

Any hints would be appreciated. I’d rather not have the answer handed to me, but I’m clearly missing something…

Alas, I seem to be stuck again, and it’s my usual way of getting stuck which I tend to call “ballroom paralysis”, a situation where it seems all I can do is talk and dance but can never leave, and I somehow never pick the correct topic to ask about or guess the right “smell corsage” action from out of left field.

[spoiler]So, I’m stuck in Carol’s room for the third time, and it’s clear that my goal is to open her window and I can optionally destroy her binder with the spell phrase that Christabell and I agreed on. But Carol’s always watching me so I can never open the window, and destroying the binder doesn’t seem to change the status quo in any obvious way. And, of course, I can’t leave the room in any way.

I’ve asked Carol about Nixon, binder, computer, father, General Dynamics, school, Project Nekton, America, suicide, boyfriend, Christabell, mark, monkey, clown, elephant, lamb, Kennedy, RFK, mother, moon, Zond-3, glyphs, thorax, regolith, LEM, Apollo, Bletchley, Soviet, submarines, artwork, egg, tile, absence of space, pentacle, radiogoniometry, hydrophonic, IDF, ELINT, popeyetsm, LWAH, SOSUS, NOVCOMGR1, Medcar, Blacks, Indians, me, Carol, Cragne, tea party.

I’ve also tried showing her stuff in my backpack, like the golden apple, pencil, stoppered vial, etc. with no success. I have not attempted to be exhaustive there, though.

So… what did I somehow miss or overlook doing?[/spoiler]

Okay, never mind. I don’t know what I did differently, but somehow I broke through where I was stuck.

David: According to a hint I got

[spoiler]you have to try opening the window immediately after asking her about something, with no intervening parser errors or anything.

I found this tricky because my instinct was to talk to her and then try a check to see if she was sufficiently distracted, which was of course counterproductive. I could’ve used some kind of atmospheric message about what she was doing.[/spoiler]

I think it is a verb thing…

hint:

What would you do to get something that’s stuck in the mud?

answer:

DIG WEST

As for the cellar:

You should have the key, if you’ve done everything you can do in the upstairs.

Look at the lock. What material is it?

Maybe the key resembles it?

(There’s more than one key that looks like the lock in the game, but you need to pick the one that’s designed for it.)

one more quite specific and yet also cryptic hint:

The key to the cellar is one that you were meant to find.

Hello.

It seems I have a problem with the Steeple.
Could someone explain what the pattern after solving the puzzle represents?
My screenreader reads the text after examining the pattern and the drawing in the journal as a bunch of asterisks, which makes no sense.
Is it going to be a problem with another puzzle because I do not know what it is?

The pattern of asterisks is not necessary for completing the game. The text description of it is.

The only thing I get after examining the pattern are asterisks.
No text description.

This is what the screenreader reads:

Nothing useful there.

There should be a nearby book with text that changes based on what sign is currently visible.

Thanks, @Matt_W. I appreciate the help so much. It was definitely a verb thing - I had tried that, but I probably gave too many details so it gave me the typical error about not being able to do that. And you were also correct about the key - I was confusing it with the other, similar one.

Whoo hoo! I’m enjoying this so much. I wish I had known and contributed to this - I have huge respect and thankfulness to those who did.

Thank you.
I did not think about checking this book for the second time.

Now I am stuck in Disheveled Studio.

I guess I am supposed to finish the painting, but I do not know what to do with all these vials.

I would appreciate some hints for this puzzle.