Cragne Manor hint thread

If it says you can’t unlock it, there’ll be another way. Have a search around if you’re in the place I mentioned.

About the room by the old well (these are not comprehensive spoilers):

Are there some things that are “not quite right” that you can’t get a closer look at?

Anything you have that might help you look at something closer?

Like, something we were just talking about?

You have to use the eyepiece here.

Getting started with that thing:

You can’t wear it yet. Perhaps there is another step.

Examine it every which way.

It has a slot. Anything you’ve found around here that could go in it?

If you haven’t found anything, look around…

There’s a package in the tree. Unwrap it and put the battery in the slot. That book is going to be important too.

Getting started a bit more:

You have to turn it on. Press the round button (or maybe the circular button? I think you have to use the right synonym.

Now you can wear it. Ouch.

You should be able to examine those things more closely now…

Also press the triangular button, which does something cool that’s not helpful now.

Bit of a guess-the-verb issue:

What you should do first is to try to interact directly with the little things you can see now, like “push machine.”

That won’t work, but it’ll tell you what verb to use.

“PROD” whatever to interact with it.

And now…

You’ve barely started. The solution is really complicated and a lot of fun to figure out. Experiment, and read the journal!

Hmmm…

well…

I got the slime ape

my problem now is that because I have 3 things, the other 2 things that don’t just leave won’t stay.
How do I get rid of the creatures I summoned?

zapping em once they’re summoned doesn’t appear to work.

Yes… I wrote a list of every combination lol.

Never mind! I worked it out! Journal told me, I just got confused becaues there were 5 things but I only needed 3

Jugwine (uh, did that post disappear while I was posting? anyway, here’s some hints about after you’ve reached A Certain Point in the pantry):

You need to ask the spark about something.

There isn’t much it responds to.

Is there anything that is relevant to the situation you find yourself in?

Is there anyONE that is relevant to the situation you find yourself in?

ASK SPARK ABOUT EDMUND

Haha! I figured out the puzzle right after I posted & thought I’d delete the post before anyone noticed! Looks like I was too slow! Once you start to interact with it, it gently prods you in the right direction.

I finished the game! And it was really good! Somehow this jumble of styles, backstories, and about 100 different kinds of keys came together into an amazing game. A real credit to everyone who worked on it!

Mmm i’m stuck again, omre I just am not sure where i’m to go next.

what do I do with this dagger?

and that sarcophagus

For that one…

You know how sometimes it says “Violence isn’t the answer to this one?” Look for a problem where violence might be the answer.

Broad hint about what kind of problem:

It’s an NPC who is trying to get you to do something that’ll lose you the game.

Broad hint about the location [EDIT: updated this hint to make it less misleading]:

It’s in the basement of Cragne Manor. (NOT the room called “the basement” which is under the church.)

The solution to this puzzle is easier to grasp if you’re familiar with literary theory.

At some point I had an item in my inventory and it disappeared without explanation. Has anyone else found the Aviator Goggles? I was able wear them, take them off and examine them. I have an old save where this object is still in my inventory but upon replay I’m unable to find this item again and I have no idea where I found it in the first place.

Okay, I’m very very far into this game, but one puzzle that’s stumped me is in the “Small Chamber”. [spoiler]I cannot for the life of me guess the combo for the padlock of the small crate. I know to turn the knob to set a number, I just have no real clue what number to use. So far I’ve guessed:

• 19078 from Peter’s library card.
  • 4965 from Hyde-Littlewit-Slater-Elton (Hyde is shorter than Littlewit, etc)
  • 6835 from Jervis-Humphrey-Joe-Basil
  • 64893655 from their full names.
  • 2549 from numbers in the Logistics article

I’ve also tried to use what I guess is Ceecee’s death date, which might by Sep 3rd, 4th, 6th, or 7th, 1919 depending how one counts. I’ve tried dialing all four maybe-dates in MMDDYYYY, DDMMYYYY, and YYYYMMDD orders, but no luck. I’ve also tried “1024” and “2410” from the “10 months, 24 days” clue. Please, someone, direct me out of these numerical woods.[/spoiler]

David–

Try the date without any leading zeroes. MDYY.

This is not actually a thing you need to worry about, I’m pretty sure!

The goggles show up in your inventory in one room–I think one of the rooms around the outside of the church–and disappear when you leave them. It’s just part of your appearance changing in every room, if you’ve been trying “x me” in the different rooms.

Thanks, matt w. Got it open now.

That one relies on the unstated convention that such locks have only four digits.

So I think I’m close to endgame, but I’ve hit a wall.

[spoiler]As far as I can tell, the only room that the coffee cup still thinks I have things to do is the Liminal Space (inside the hole)… I’ve obtained the bound typescript and the coffee cup is content that Hallway South is complete, but it still says I require fresh perspectives in the Liminal Space itself.

I also can’t query the cup inside the Study, or I die of boredom. So not sure if I’m supposed to do something with the notebook or photo in there.

Does the Walkie Talkie yield any substantive clues, or is it purely for fun?

Are we supposed to be able to complete the recipe that uses cinnamon and 8 grains of salt? I can’t find gin or cider anywhere. And I also appear to have misplaced my spices somewhere.

But that’s about all I can think of that I might be missing.

I have the grimoire on the lectern, the pocketwatch and the Cyst in the circle, I have the black horn, and the star sign is configured to [descending] / [under] per the instructions. But I’m at a loss as to what the two signs should be…

“the stars falling under his true star sign”. I can turn the crank and turn the dial, but I don’t know which signs I need.[/spoiler]

It sounds like you haven’t solved the steeple yet, hypersmurf.

You’ll need information from:

the peach jar

Aha! Thank you. I had, but I’d recorded the diagram in my notes instead of the description, so I didn’t make the connection.

I’m Somewhere Else now :slight_smile:

Congratulations!

The ending is… abrupt!