Cragne Manor hint thread

There is a safe. Set safe doesn’t work here.

I need a different verb.

Also lol the books.

Have you tried SET DIAL?

yes, it just gets confused.

It thinks i mean the suitcase.

So hmm…

safe dial it says doesn’t exist so yeah… a bit stumped there. this is the library if that helps.

Sooo if it’s getting confused and it thinks you mean one thing rather than another, one crude thing that would help would be to walk to the next room, drop the suitcase, and walk back and try SET DIAL. Then you can pick up the suitcase again on your way out.

(If you visit the real estate office you will get something that makes this sort of trick easier.)

Oh wait you mentioned getting the lion book, so you must have been to the real estate office already.

So if the game thinks you mean the suitcase when you don’t mean the suitcase, you can just put the suitcase in the backpack and close the backpack. That should take care of the issue (and you can get the suitcase back by opening the backpack, if you ever need it again).

Hmmm

so closing the backpack solved that problem but still I can’t figure this out.

Set dial is says “to what?” so you say “set dial x” with x being a number and it doesn’t understand and claims there’s no such thing.

so uh… set safe does the same thing.

so i’m bewildered. it’s gotta be a verb issue right?

that said, previous “set dials” haven’t asked me to imput a number at all, they’ve just kinda automatically done it if I happened to have the right thing in my inventory saying “set dial” and then it auto says “to the thing” or something similar. It’s all pretty odd.

Coffee says I have everything I need here. So it’s gotta be something i’m missing or just a sentence structure/verb i’m doing wrong.

Checking; SET DIAL TO [a number] should work.

No, I’ve followed the tips on the first page to go down in the water, put the flat bones in the claw trap, and pull it back onto the bridge. Yet only the final step, “fix bridge”, doesn’t work. I feel really dumb now because it sounds like everyone else has gotten much further in the meantime!

Have you opened the trap and taken out the bones? I may have forgotten to write that.

On the safe: Examining the safe indicates that this is the right wording to use. It says

The dial can be set to any number from 1 to 60; it is currently set to 60.

“set dial to” worked

Now i’m in the cellar dealing with uh… peaches…

I’m up to the hole in the ceiling that the cat… bat… flies through but I can’t reach it.

Bit stumped.

Also in the cellar,

combine Ulnur with Maleth how? I tried doing one then the other and both at once but it doesn’t seem to do anything so I must be missing something there. That’s kinda how I ended up in the peach cellar hahah, I wandered off and now the eyeball won’t let me leave.

OK, some a hint for the place with the peaches:

I got a bit stuck here for a while myself. This place is completely self-contained though, so don’t worry about not having the right stuff.

Everything in the bag, including the bag, will have to be put on or in front of things to make this work.

As for your combination issue. I don’t really remember the exact order of things but I recall this part wasn’t too hard.

You are remembering to Ia first? Magic doesn’t work without it.

Yes i’m doing the first thing.

And yes, i’ve put things in front of things.

currently I have:

robe over hole in wall, bib on hole in floor, satchel over cat flap

@purple_monkfish I found it very helpful for the eyeball puzzle to look up

the babel fish puzzle from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

I believe it’s made to reference that exactly, and so people who aren’t familiar with it are at a disadvantage.

For zarf’s room,

Have you tried:

adding Khion too?

As for the peach predicament. Possibly one of the others has a better memory for the solution. But I seem to recall:

Does doing something obvious to the satchel do anything?

aHAH! well that IS obtuse.

I’ve never been stupid enough to try to play the hitchhikers game, that’s some serious san loss right there.

for other stuck:

put the last useful thing you have ON the satchel.

which somehow despite all logic works.

yeah…

sorted.

I’ll go back to the ritual room in a bit and keep mucking with it. I think my problem is I get bored of doing the same thing over and over and wander off for a bit lol.

Next up, the boiler! meep. Or maybe I might go for a walk and avoid that ahahah. lazy

The Boiler room is another self-contained one (there’s five self-contained rooms in the basement area) that looks more intimidating than it really is. There’s a lot of parts, but once you get into it, it’s pretty straightforward.

hahah I totally have lost track of what I was doing in the ritual room. I got 10 names and 7 words but now i’m kinda stumped.
Must be missing something but i’m tired of it. I think it’s something to go back to later on with a fresh mind.

I’ll tackle the boiler later on.

and the wine cellar.

I think my brain needs a rest for a bit. I did a lot yesterday, made loads of progress, today is lazy day.

Eugh…

author

I’m trapped.

yep, definitely taking a break. Sleepy now.

Thanks for the verb help guys/gals.

This is awesome and insanely addictive. damn you all