Borogove: Online editor for Vorple, Inform, Hugo, Dialog and Ink

Hi @Juhana . Could you include the Spanish Language extension? It was testing in linux mint OS and it went well.

You will find it in its repo.

Thanx in advance.

2 Likes

Hi, the Spanish language extension is now added to the I7 compiler (“Include Spanish Language by Sebastian Arg.”) I haven’t tested it other than checked that it compiles so I’ll take your word for it that it works with the latest Inform version.

I also updated the I6 Punyinform library to 2.8.3.

This is on the todo list but not a very high priority right now so it might take a while before it’s added.

5 Likes

This is on the todo list but not a very high priority right now so it might take a while before it’s added.

Understood.

1 Like

Oh, muchas gracias!! :grin:

I’ll tell you if there is any problem. Thanxs!!!

1 Like

Ink has now been added to the list of available languages.

6 Likes

Firefox gives me an error in the iframe when testing a game: it would seem the certificate has expired. I haven’t tested on other browsers.

(I’m not using Borogove so it’s not important for me, but it could be for others.)

Thanks, the certificate has now been renewed. (More accurately it already was but the server still used the old one…)

2 Likes

Do you think increased mobile support would be something you focus on? I’ve been using this the past few days on mobile and have loved it since it’s the only ide for inform 7 on mobile. However I have run into a few problems which I assume are due to being on mobile: as someone else has mentioned copying and pasting does not work (though I am able to download the game file) and I believe I’ve run into a problem with formatting tables. As someone who only has access to a mobile as a form of computing I’d love to see a mobile version that fixed these issues.

1 Like

Due to popular demand, the editor’s behavior in mobile devices has now been greatly improved.

• The text editor component has been replaced with CodeMirror 6 which has support for touchscreen devices (as opposed to the previous editor which flat out claimed no support at all.) The library is still in beta but seems to work well, apart from some minor visual glitches on some devices.
  • Thanks to the slimmer new editor, the total download size for the app has been halved, making it faster to load on mobile connections.
  • There are two new buttons in the menu bar on narrow screens. For devices that don’t have a tab key in the virtual keyboard, there’s a button that indents the current line or selection by one tab stop. The other swaps the view quickly between the code and the interpreter so you don’t have to navigate through the hamburger dropdown menu.
  • The file manager is now accessible in the mobile view through the hamburger menu.
  • Pressing the tab key in Inform 7 projects produces a tab character. In other projects it inserts four space characters instead. This helps with I7 rules that have multiple nesting levels, which won’t work unless the indentation is made with actual tab characters. The editor will also start the next line on the same indentation level as the previous one, the same way as the Inform IDE does.

A side effect from changing the editor component is that Inform 7 code isn’t syntax highlighted anymore until the highligher is rewritten for the new editor. If someone feels like that would be a fun project to tackle (for I7 or any of the other languages) the instructions are here: CodeMirror Language Package Example

borogove-mobile

13 Likes

This is great news ! Thanks for this wonderful app !

2 Likes

Thanks for a very valuable update!

Now might be a good time to upgrade PunyInform to the just released v3.5 (this also requires Inform v6.36, which is the best choice for the standard library as well).

1 Like

I’m having trouble with the save/restore function. Sometimes the restore function shows the list of saved games, sometimes it is empty.

I am not sure if this has to do with cookies, but I have set Chrome to allow all sites to save local data.

The fact that the saved games disappear within a single browser session make me think it isn’t anything to do with cookies.

I’m also on Linux, not sure if that affects things.

Is anyone working on that? If not, I might try to make something. I’m familiar with Inform 6, Inform 7, Dialog and ink, so maybe I could start with the most popular one? Any suggestion?

2 Likes

Do you mean the interpreter inside the editor? That’s expected, every time you compile a new version it’s considered a different game and old save files aren’t compatible anymore. It’s a technical restriction that can’t be avoided.

1 Like

As far as I know nobody’s picked that up yet so that would be great! Any of the languages would be good but Inform 7 is by far the most popular. Let me know if you need any help with it.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought that might be the case.

The ink compiler (and especially its internal parser) has been ported to js in inkjs (pending review) so I may contribute a linter/highlighter for it later this year or help anyone wanting to devote more time than I have on my hand to this.

3 Likes

Inform 6 has now been updated to 6.36 and PunyInform to 3.5.

Related question, version 6.11 of the standard library is still offered as an option when starting a new I6 project. Does it have any value to anyone or could it be removed? Are there any use cases where library version 6.12.5 wouldn’t work, for example with non-English language libraries?

1 Like

While library 6/11 may still be used for some old projects, I doubt anyone would miss it at Borogove.

Also note that library 6.12.6 has now been released: Inform 6 Standard Library 6.12.6 released

Borogove is down with the error “Could not connect to remote compilation service.” Are there any mirrors or should I just wait for it to go back up?