Yazmin, a Z-machine Interpreter for macOS

I’m looking for a few beta testers for Yazmin, my macOS-based Z-machine interpreter, which can be downloaded from the Yazmin Releases page.

Note that this is targeting very recent version of macOS, specifically 10.14 (Mojave) and 10.15 (Catalina). And yes, it is Z-machine only (excluding v6). The release build is notarized.

Features include:

• macOS 10.14 or greater required
    • Dark-mode support
  • Plays Z-code story files v1 to v8 (except v6)
  • Management of story library
    • Handles zblorb file format and iFiction metadata, including cover art
    • Updates metadata and cover art from IFDB
    • Metadata editing
    • Reset metadata to original blorb version
  • Font preferences
  • Z-machine feature support:
    • Color
    • Sound effects
    • Timed input
    • Formatted text
    • Multi undo
    • Unicode
    • Quetzal-format saved games
    • Transcript
    • Command files
6 Likes

I’d be glad to test it out. I’m running Mojave right now, still waiting to hear how others do on Catalina :slight_smile:.

Are there specific areas or IF works that you want tested or do you just want people to use it in the usual way?

Excellent work!

Like many other interpreters, it has problems with the application form at the beginning of Bureaucracy. There is some incorrectly placed text visible behind it, and there is no visible cursor for the text entry.

Freefall has a grey lower windows that goes away when the space key (for drop) is pressed for the first time.

A similar white lower window is seen on the title screen of Beyond Zork. Also, while it impressively seems to auto-detect and use my installed graphical font for Beyond Zork (from here) it seems to have a problem with spacing. I included a screenshot from the Amiga interpreter for comparison.

306314-beyond-zork-the-coconut-of-quendor-atari-st-screenshot-following

1 Like

This is fantastic feedback, thank you.

@Ploppy, while I’d love to say that it’s ready for general use (and if you’re brave I’d certainly encourage that), perhaps it would be best to try out with works that you’re familiar with and know has had particular problems in the past.
Feel free to log any problems, and suggestions, in the Issue Tracker—otherwise just post them here and I’ll gather them up gratefully.