Where to upload walkthroughs?

I would like to first off say thank you to those that have help me with the interactive fiction forum with any questions that I have had secondly I was told back in 2012 the interactive fiction was dying but I see now that it is not it’s actually still thriving but anyway my official announcement is this for those of you that want to try to pass winter wonderland but can’t figure out how to through the hints like I had I have decided to write a complete walk-through for it but my question is is it possible for me to upload it to the game information page

3 Likes

You can link to it here, or upload a .txt file. If you mean on IFDB, I believe you need to host it somewhere (such as IFArchive) and link to it as well.

2 Likes

I believe I created an IFDB account two weeks ago

1 Like

Ah, the thing is that IFDB only links to things that exist elsewhere.

Use this form to upload your walkthrough to IFarchive:

http://upload.ifarchive.org/cgi-bin/upload.py

Put “solutions” as the suggested directory.

In a week or two you’ll receive an e-mail when your walkthrough is accepted. That will give you a link to your walkthrough. Post that on IFDB.

If you have your own website you can just put your walkthrough on their and link it to IFDB, too!

6 Likes

I just want to say thank you to those of you that have helped me through this also I want to say that I wish I would’ve found this sooner like when I first discovered interactive fiction

5 Likes

No problem! I know exactly what you mean; I didn’t find the forums until 5 years after I found out about IF.

You know, right now would be a good time to start writing a game for next year’s IFComp! If you want an easier entry to writing games, Ectocomp is a Halloween competition that is for games that only take 3 or 4 hours to make, and it doesn’t start until the 24th.

2 Likes

I really enjoy seeing walkthroughs for games that need them. They encourage me to at least plow through them if nothing else. I might miss some details, but – I have such a huge backlog, and I’ve come to admit I can’t see everything!

I’m looking forward to the news item on IFDB. I know seeing more traffic there encourages me to write reviews or maybe even a walkthrough–David Welbourn’s monthly batch of map/walkthroughs is a case in point!

The news item doesn’t have to be anything profound–and I like seeing a healthy ratio of reviews/walkthroughs to new game announcements.

(By the way, if your walkthrough’s not on IFArchive yet, you can also post a temporary dropbox link to your walkthrough as a stopgap, then update the news item later. I’ve done that, too.)

2 Likes

I tend to check for a walkthrough as part of deciding to play a game, or not. I just don’t like playing part-way through and getting stuck.

1 Like

Better late than never. I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the Classic Adventures Solution Archive (CASA) at https://solutionarchive.com/. If I get really desperate, that’s usually my first port of call.

They don’t have as many ‘modern’ games, but you can always contribute hints, maps and solutions yourself to fill any gaps.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, @Warrigal. I have an account there. They invited me to add walkthroughs to the games I’d written. I never quite took them up on it. I should. I’d like to help them grow. They’ve definitely helped me before.

2 Likes

@aschultz Assuming you are the one and only Andrew Schultz, I’ve actually contributed maps and solutions to CASA for a few of your games, specifically ‘The Argument-Winner’s Ghost’, ‘Candy Rush Saga’, ‘Dash Slapney and the Calamitous Candy Corn’ and ‘Dash Slapney, Patrol Leader’. There are many more that I haven’t played yet, hence haven’t solved.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m flattered. I actually have a few bugs to fix in each game. I’m glad you tackled my smaller ones first. The bigger games have changed maps since last release. For instance, Shuffling Around and A Roiling Original changed a lot of room names before and after solving puzzles.

You probably know this, but for those with Trizbort you can make maps of games to help you along.

2 Likes

I use Trizbort. It’s a bit clunky, but it does the job. I don’t like some of the new ‘features’ though, so I still use an older version.

2 Likes

I haven’t uploaded the new Trizbort for a while. I know I’ve put in a few new features I liked, but they may be development-focused. I understand if others might not. I guess I’ve gotten used to it.

Perhaps there is room for a Trizbort-Lite application that only does the basics. Maybe I’ll talk to Jason Lautzenheiser about that. He’s occasionally on this board.

is pretty neat :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is getting quite off topic, but I wasn’t suggesting a lite version. On the contrary, I’d like more features. Some of my gripes include finicky user interface (I use Windows, not Linux), the awkward method of drawing bent connectors where I want them by using multiple connectors (thus crippling the ability to export to source code), the inability to align exit labels anywhere other than the default (unpredictable) positions, the inability to style connectors, the inability to apply a title to the map in a style other than the default room descriptions, the uncontrollable blurring of lines in room boxes and connectors, the lack of control over margin size around the outside of an exported image and so on.

I have no objection to the developer export feature. You can ignore it if you don’t need it. I don’t use the export myself, as I find it quicker and easier to do the coding manually.