What's your favorite typical food?

Hello! I hope y’all are having a good day :slight_smile: So, this whole thing came up to me while I was having lunch earlier and realized that I was eating a plate that I hadn’t heard anyone from outside Brazil or, in less intensity, Portuguese-related countries talk about (Feijoada - Wikipedia, if anyone is curious) and I realized I also didn’t know a lot of particular foods from other countries. So I was wondering: have you got any typical foods you particularly like?

7 Likes

:joy:
It’s torture to choose ONE as a French person.
So I’m gonna answer with what I wish I was eating right now: Crêpe - Wikipedia
(or Pissaladière - Wikipedia but I’m making it again on Thurday…)

6 Likes

Honestly I feel you :joy: choosing just one is truly a hard task. I must say you did a good job though, because these are incredible choices.
I had never heard of Pissaladière before! It looks (and sounds) amazing, though I would probably pass on the olives…
Also, I thought I knew crêpes but I was shocked to find the version I know is quite far from the original. It was super interesting to find out about the differences!
Thanks for sharing these with me Manon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cake. Cake is the food of the gods. Thankfully, every country seems to have some variation on cake. Every time I leave the country, it’s an opportunity to try new cake.

9 Likes

I’ve just spent the last few minutes thinking of and then rejecting various options. You want foods that are emblematic and typical of my home, but the vast majority of them have been appropriated from other countries and cultures.

Getting annoyed, I googled foods actually first created in the United States, and well… things are starting to make more sense:

Cheeseburgers
Buffalo Wings
Reubens
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Chip Cookies
S’mores
Lobster Rolls
Corndogs
Brownies
Deepdish Pizza
Ranch Dressing
Tater Tots
Philly Cheesesteak
Cheetos (literally accidentally created from a malfunctioning processing machine used to make flaked, partially cooked animal feed)

Yeah.

So, instead I’m just going to share something we made up and seems to be a crowdpleaser:

Muffintop pies.

It’s a very simple premise. You bake a fruit pie (let’s say blueberry) open face, without the top crust. While it’s baking, you mix up some blueberry muffin mix, noting the required baking time. You then extract the fruit pie from the oven that amount of time prior to its required time in the oven. Pour the mix over the top of the bubbly open face, and put back in the oven for the required remaining time.

You will now have a fruit pie, with each slice topped with a fruit muffin topping.

Add butter and/or icecream as desired, definitely eat it hot.

8 Likes

Living here in southern Louisiana, I like to get a po’boy for a treat. Shrimp, usually, since it’s easy to find fresh around here. In lots of other southern places, barbecue is a nice change of pace.

9 Likes

From Singapore, a classic meal from the hawker centers in definitely economical rice. Pretty much just rice with three choices on top (vegetables, tofu, meat/fake meat, or sometimes curry), and sold for about SGD3.50 . Cheap and really good. And always a new choice to go from.

6 Likes

Oh, and Manon is far too modest. She made a sweet zine for Pissaladière here:

8 Likes

ok, I hope everyone is ready for a list of favorite foods of an Italian

My favorite are the “tortellini” bolognesi, followed (often literally) with the Florentine “bistecca” (roasted T-Bone 5cm (2") thick…)

other things are the “scaloppine” with egg Marsala (Marsala all’ uovo, a sweet wine), hot milk shaken with Zabajone (beaten yolk with sugar, its foam is really delicious…); of course, I drink espresso coffee with milk foam, and esp. in Winter, I don’t dislike Cappuccino…)

on sweets, I eat babà (a sweet NOT for kids in US: the babà is wetted with a sweeted rum… but Italian kids eat it without issues, and is customary that kids drink wine at lunch & dinner) and for local sweets, the bar nearby (Italian sense, that is, what in France and US is called café) nearby my house has as a specialty the “graffe” (fried donuts with grain of sugar on its surface) whose is preferred to the cornetto in this neighborhood, an huge feat here in Italy…

and so on…

best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

ps. I note that now are 07:45 here, I’ll go to said bar for my morning Espresso with Graffe… see ya later ! :wink: :smiley:

7 Likes

Freshwater eel in green herbs. Eaten with hand-torn hunks of the darkest, coarsest wholegrain bread.

Paling in 't groen (English) - Wikipedia

6 Likes

For me it is Brudet, a fish stew from Adriatic coast.

6 Likes

I think more than I can remember right now. Because I like both meals from here as well as exotic ones.

Meals from here I remember eating often: Apple pancake, Apple cake, butter bread (we have 200 or 300 sorts of bread), Gruenkohl, noodle salat, potato salat.

5 Likes

Such interesting answers! I have to admit I didn’t know most of the foods you guys said, but they all sound so good :yum:
Thanks for sharing them!

4 Likes

Give me döner and baklava every meal, wouldn’t complain about lack of variety.

Disclaimer edit: Although I can’t promise that I wouldn’t complain about the scurvy.

7 Likes

What we have here in rural Texas is barbecue, and it is great. Barbecue, done properly, should be very tough cuts of meat smoked for a long time until they are tender, an alchemy wherein cheap meat blossoms into awesomeness. It should be served with pickles. There are many arguments about whether homemade pickles are allowed, or if they must be canned. There should be sauce. I have seen people come nearly to blows in arguments about the basics of a good sauce, but I’m just going to say that I never met a BBQ sauce I didn’t like. And the sides should be things like cole slaw, potato salad, green beans cooked until limp, and collard greens stewed in bacon fat. Do not trust any BBQ place that uses anything but plain white sliced bread, or has good meats like sirloin. You want to stick to brisket, sausage made in house, and ribs. I tolerate chicken or turkey, but they’ll know you’re a Yankee if you order that.

8 Likes

Especially if it’s that but also homemade sourdough…

6 Likes

When company comes, we’ll usually pick up a “dobash” (also known as “doberge”) cake, a cake with very thin layers and filling in between. Usually, we get yellow cake w/chocolate.

The place up the road does a red velvet dobash, but I haven’t tried it (yet)

7 Likes

I’ve seen a documentation about some Americans doing a rural trip with BBQ. You Americans have turned it into a science. The BBQ device (how is it called?) was really huge and they had several kind of sophisticated sauces and you could close the device. Very impressive!

Here in Germany it’s more like a caveman action. It’s all ruled by intuition. And the process is much more primitive. Also it is a sort of last resort or so for men. Women can grill well, but men are proud of their masculine grilling skills. (Which is absurd of course.)

6 Likes

It’s a challenge to think of foods that are uniquely American!

But I gather these foods are also American or American-ish:

BLT (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich)
French dip sandwich
peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Colby cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Colby-Jack cheese
tomato pie
chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
banana bread

Cornbread is listed on Wikipedia’s “list of American foods” but I’m not sure where in the Americas it originally came from.

Edit: It looks like tuna salad sandwiches are also an American sandwich.

7 Likes

Cornbread certainly predates the US, but the rest I could see. Not quite as shameful as the intial list, but not alot of health conscious items like hummus or tabbouleh either.

4 Likes