What's the current say context called?

I’m experimenting with writing my own say atoms (like “[we]”), but I can’t find what I’m looking for so far.

Specifically, I’d like to know the current…whatever this is. The thing that is set when you say [regarding the noun]. This would allow me to do something like

say "[regarding the noun][he] does [newthing]";

and have newthing able to look up values in the noun (assuming that kind matches, etc.) – e.g.,

if the XXX is plural-named, ... otherwise, ...

Is that XXX called something like “the noun understood” or the context or the prior naming context or the prior understood context of contextness, or…?

Thanks,

• Alex

It’s the “prior named object.” (I feel like this used to be in the documentation somewhere, but now it seems to be only in Example 251.)

Aha! Thanks.

Okay, that’s 90% of what I need, but it doesn’t look like it’s set when printing a description. I’d love to be able to use this feature like

Bob is a man. The description is "blah blah blah [newthing]".

Is there another name I can also capture for this sort of case?

In that case “item described” points to the thing whose description is being printed.

Thanks. Wish there was a list of these; maybe I’ll start one. Not sure what to call the list so that other people would find it, though.

Can you think of other contexts a say atom might come up that I should cover?

matt w, Emily says it would be worth filing that in Mantis under “doc issues”, if you could. So we can make the documentation better. :slight_smile:

Done, and I also encountered some stuff that confuses me about the prior named object. For instance, when you say a list, the prior named object appears to be the last thing in the list, so I’m not sure how Inform knows to print a plural verb.

In the English Language extension, this is written:

To decide if the prior naming context is plural: (- ((prior_named_list >= 2) || (prior_named_noun && prior_named_noun has pluralname)) -).
So there seems to be a “prior named list”, but only used in I6.