What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

:blue_heart: :green_heart:

4 Likes

Had a taste of the cake for breakfast. It was even better than it looks.

Super decadent cake, dense as heck. My landlord really knows me well.

15 Likes

Such fortuitous timing! Winning the Concours and celebrating your birthday. I wonder which will prove most memorable…

Perhaps you could take it to the bakery and ask them to squeeze Concours Fiction Interactive Francophone 2023; Première Place under your name.

7 Likes

Implemented some silly secret you-have-died messages for when the player is being particularly creative, lol.

I’m trying to avoid “you can’t do that” messages, in favor of “you try it and fail, but this failure is kinda funny tho” messages, or having the player character at least warn the player why it won’t work, but allow them to try anyway.

10 Likes

I am happy to see I am not the only one trying to be creative. imagining Joey sitting with a silly grin thinking up all kind of weird messages for players to gawk at. Those standard “You can’t do that” messages are boring as hell. It is a challenge to keep decorum when trying to do the impossible :slight_smile: .

Walking into walls and bludgeoning your nose when alone is one thing, but now imagine doing that in the presence of an uncouth barbarian… One has high standards to maintain if one wants to preserve the image of being the most esteemed gatherer of valuables.

8 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Opening Doors I7

Absolutely devoured my belated lunch after skiving off on lunch and an early start to the day. The chocolate bonbon was that much yummier for being ravenously hungry. And it’s always a good day when you eat garlic bread!

5 Likes

Most probably get the reference, but for those who don’t, or want a refresher:

As for good things? Well, not to me specifically. Non-sportyball fans may wish to pass. But I hope there is a general positive message here.

If follow college basketball, you may still be laughing at what is going on in the Big Ten. With Michigan’s loss last night, there is a 7-way tie for 2nd, and there would be an 8-way tie if Rutgers hadn’t blown a 10-point lead to Minnesota with 90 seconds left. it might be 9 if the Michigan State/Minnesota game hadn’t been canceled for tragic reasons. It’s such a statistically improbable thing, though.

bigten

I was born in West Lafayette so I am a Purdue fan, and last night worked out well for me, between Illinois’s win over Michigan (clinched an outright title) and Purdue winning at a very decent Wisconsin squad. The best part of the game, besides the win, was that the indoor heating did not fail.

Many people (probably rightly) feel Purdue is overrated in the polls because the polls are a ladder and Purdue just consistently beat decent teams in front of them, and I have to agree with people who say Purdue is a good bet to get upset in the NCAA tournament. But all the same they did way better than expected this year & even if sports don’t really matter, and college sports has serious problems, it’s something to be grateful for & its getting back to normal in late 2020 helped a lot of people bounce back.

Without deluging folks with college basketball history, Purdue is one of those consistently very good teams that are never quite elite. Purdue hasn’t made the Final Four since 1980, which was before I was a Purdue fan. Due to steady success in the past decade, they also have the most NCAA tournament wins without a national championship, which is a title of sorts, though Gonzaga may overtake that mantle.

Whether or not we are sports fans, hopefully we’ve had some “You can’t always get what you want” moments where we know everything isn’t perfect, but we’d be fools to go back in the past and ask for a re-roll. That was the case last night.

5 Likes

An unfortunately pretty bad day turned good by my belief in “when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich!”; I had some very delicious spaghetti and spotted a very rotund bird outside.

9 Likes

I was laughing pretty hard last night at one in particular, lol.

I obviously won’t get everything, especially when I need to work faster lately, but there are quite a few actions that players would assume are possible alternative solutions, but the antagonist has already made a contingency plan for it, so it simply wouldn’t work.

So I’m letting the player use the player character’s insight abilities to be forewarned about certain attempts. Again, though, after the player is warned, some of these actions will let you try anyway, but you have basically accepted the coming loss screen.

I might do more brainstorming for the post-comp version and add more of these. But I’m just trying to get the more obvious ones for now.

4 Likes

We’re about to watch the new episode of Star Trek: Picard. Any day I get to see the old gang is a good day.

7 Likes

I’m holding out for the Wesley Crusher reboot series.

5 Likes

Today was a good day! Got to eat some cake with my name on it, still high on winning, had my favourite dinner, and added 2 volumes of The Way of the Househusband to my collection.
Also was pretty productive too :slight_smile:
Good days like this don’t come often. That was really nice :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve been having a lot of fun putting together birthday cards for the abundance of spring babies amongst the regulars. Here’s some from the last while:

8 Likes

re the po’ boy:

• fresh fried shrimp tossed in cane pepper jelly
  • jalapeno mayo
  • lettuce and tomato

Good stuff! A bit sweeter than my usual, but a fun change of pace

5 Likes

Shut up, Wesley.

2 Likes

be still, my beating heart.
What’s your go-to, if you don’t mind sharing?

6 Likes

If the place is good, fried shrimp with lettuce and tomato (mayo, tartar, or cocktail) is good enough for me. I like to mix it up, though. Catfish, oysters. It really just depends on whether the seafood is fresh and well-seasoned.

Some places do their version of Nashville hot chicken, which is almost always good.

I don’t think I’ll live here forever, so I’m trying to get this food while I can.

I shared some fried pickled okra too, I love that stuff.

6 Likes

Was randomly gifted a wide ruled notebook (the small single subject 70 sheets sort of book) and the spacing is quite good for my thicker tipped gel pens. Good to draft in… I have special notebooks for working in, but I’m not someone to turn down a stationery gift- takes some of the stress out of the equation, I suppose, and it’s been awhile since I used a pencil.

4 Likes

A noble and worthy quest. I applaud ye.

A very nice positive thing to round out my evening: chatting with Autumn and sipping a perfectly chilled Ramune (first one I’ve had in a very long while too!).

7 Likes