What book / story / film would make a good IF premise / structure?

Maybe the following two movies would make good IF:

“Labyrinth” (with David Bowie as the elven king) where a girl has to find her way through a maze to rescue her little brother.

“The Prince’s Bride” where you find nearly everything you know from tabletop RPGs.

4 Likes

I remember playing it on the Apple and not getting very far.

6 Likes

I don’t know that game. But it’s just a coincidence of names I think. Because the stories differ strongly.
See yourself:

2 Likes

Definitely not a coincidence:

Just more of an adaptation instead of a faithful remake.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. I’m corrected. But my point is for the OP to have the plot as inspiration for an IF. And the plots differ (at least if the reviews on Moby Games and IMDB are correct.) But if there are indeed similar plot elements then copyright law makes an IF adaption at least difficult.

I also wasn’t aware that Jim Henson was involved in this movie. But now that I read it, it fits.

1 Like

Both game and movie were produced by Lucasfilm, if memory serves me correctly. The former was a tie-in to the latter and both were released in 1986.

1 Like

I think I have a winner here!

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

Andy Weir wrote The Martian, and Matt Damon “scienced the fuck out of those potatoes”!

His hobby is calculating orbital trajectories. I think we have someone on the forum who jazzes with this. I’ll tag that person later on…

The first 70 pages of Project Hail Mary read like a text-adventure transcript with a bit of padding.
-amnesia? check.
-strange surroundings? check.
-locked bulkheads? check.
-gradually unfolding backstory through awkwardly inserted flashbacks? check.

Actually, Weir appears to be asking for a text-adventure re-write when he explicitly mentions “twisty little passages, all alike” around page 50.

The form of this text would be a worthy candidate for a standard “solve puzzle-get key-enter next room-repeat” adventure. But the scientific details , which are the strong point of Weir’s writing, invite an IF-author with that same set of sensitivities…

Someone perhaps who enjoys calculating the speed of sound in Jovian or Saturnian atmospheres…

@inventor200 , You must read this book. Must. I’ve been thinking about you each time I managed to extract my focus slightly from the text.

“Joey would love this!”

Every time I looked up to the skies pondering a scientific detail.

Please @inventor200 , read this book. You will be Capitalising Your Thoughts all the way.

Everyone else, if you’d like a great SF escape room with a weird twist, have a go at this.

11 Likes

It means a lot that someone can accurately guess what I would like! :grin: Absolutely love this book! Also, I agree that it would make for a good IF story! That’s something I’ve pondered quite a bit, too!

7 Likes

Or calculating the apparent gravitational force by dropping a pen off a table 400 times while squinting at the seconds-hand of a watch.

5 Likes

Ah. An Aspie (someone with Asperger’s Syndrome). Takes one to know one – I’m an Aspie, too.

Now, how do we combine calculating orbital trajectories with Parliamentary Procedure (which is my own esoteric Aspie interest)…??? :smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, which is a murder mystery with a very complex set up. Premise spoilers below.

The protagonist is someone hopping between 8 different host bodies, reliving the same day and even interacting with his other selves, trying to solve a murder mystery while dealing with other rivals trapped in the same loop but with different mechanics.

The set up has very crunchy rules for a fiction book, it’s very fun and feels like a visual novel honestly. It feels ripe for stealing the structure, especially because it is a story that plays with the premise and treats it as a real thing for the protagonist to reflect on and have feelings about, rather than just being there to make the story happen.

Though heads up for some awful fatphobia in the book that really undermined my enjoyment of it.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to send me a copy of this game??? I still use my Comnodore-128, which is almost fully compatible with the C-64!

2 Likes

You’re asking about Labyrinth (1986)?

https://archive.org/details/Labyrinth_1986_4amCrack is the Apple 2 version.

https://archive.org/search?query=labyrinth+activision&and%5B%5D=mediatype%3A%22software%22 turns up several C64 versions as well. They’re slightly modified (“cracks”) so you might have to try a couple.

2 Likes

I know this response is delayed, but Artemis, also by Andy Weir, would make an excellent adventure IF.

Artemis-Andy_Weir_(2017)

If you haven’t read it yet, and you enjoyed Project Hail Mary, I highly recommend that you give it a chance.

4 Likes

Looks like Zarf got to you before I did. Let us know if you still need anything.

2 Likes

I have read it, and I enjoyed it a lot. I agree it would provode a great framework for an IF. (Especially the powerplant sequence and the walks outside.)

4 Likes

Yes, Labyrinth was a Commodore 64 adventure game. If you play it you can see the baby-steps toward Lucasarts’ eventual SCUMM story system.

Unknown-1
Unknown

5 Likes

A lot of Dan Brown’s books such as The DaVinci Code are mystery/thriller/puzzlers that involve actual things like a codex they have to solve - which is possible for the reader to figure out in advance of the characters. It worked better as a book than a movie since there’s long internal monologue puzzling over solutions, and likely could work similarly as IF (if someone had the rights and wanted to make a sprawling adventure on the level of Counterfeit Monkey or The King of Shreds and Patches.)

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What are you reading these days?

I think this would make an excellent game.

When I finished the book I sent Andy Weir an email, telling him how much I enjoyed it. In my postscripts I suggested that it would make an excellent game adaptation.

P.S. - I think this book would make an excellent computer game, especially since the main character wakes up with amnesia and discovers his surrounding through exploration and retrospection (all common game tropes). Though there are some narrative challenges to overcome, it could be an interesting way to teach kids science, math, and communication with interesting dramatic choices along the way.

P.S.S - But as soon as I thought of this idea I realized that you might have those rights tied up elsewhere so any speculation about creating something like this is just wishful thinking on my part (but I’d buy such a game if it came out).

P.S.S. - NRN

He actually wrote back a brief reply.

Thanks, glad you liked it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, MGM owns the video game rights along with the film rights.

-ATW

5 Likes