What are you listening to?

Sting and Bowie: Finally someone in this thread mentioned some musicians that I know! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Popped up in my randomized playlist and was hilariously on mood for the scene Jinx and I are writing.

4 Likes

Atomic Number - Case / Lang / Veirs

2 Likes

A really fun song that doesn’t get near enough recognition…

Life Begins At The Hop - XTC

2 Likes

Love XTC.

Here’s something by one of my favorite bands of the 70’s:

3 Likes

I don’t know why, but I think I might start going to church…

Drugs in My Pocket - The Monks

Twin Tribes.

This one made me cry:

1 Like

The extreme range of Eurovision 2024, or perhaps of Eurovision in general. First, Armenia’s Ladaniva with Jako, bringing the upbeat culturally traditional presence you always want in Eurovision (and which has been declining in representation over the past 10 years) and Ireland’s Bambie Thug with Doomsday Blue, bringing… something else.

Eurovision songs are only 3 minutes long max, so you can experience these two far poles of the one song contest in under six minutes.

Wade

2 Likes

Just reading back in the thread… it’s interesting to hear Korn give you pop feelings. They have a really hard and discordant, but tonally clear, sound palette. I feel they must sound too brutal to feel pop, but perhaps the clarity of the underlining notes and their catchiness gives that feel. And actually the craftedness of their songs. I think they’re incredible musicians, and their rattling bass sound is sort of inimitable. Issues, an album with unbelievable reach, has an atmosphere that’s almost too crushing for me to sit around in at length.

They came to prominence in the wake of grunge, when harder and weirder sounds were for a time getting into the top 10. Look at Got The Life, incredibly catchy, but that counterpoint (that’s my favourite kind of line – also the kind of thing that I love in Nirvana, who are my favourite rock band) and banshee-like chorus I expect sound extremely bitter or discordant to many. Yet the song was a top 20 in many countries, a number 1 in some.

-Wade

3 Likes

I love the bass, but everything else is just… Meh. It doesn’t feel interesting or good to listen to. Same formula. Cool bass stuff. Boring other parts. Unlike Nirvana, which is great for me.

1 Like

Man, I love it! Just did the Got The Life video and the notes gives always give me chills. Even if that particular song has some pretty funny little structural interruptions and stuff.

While Nirvana are my favourite, I strangely don’t listen to the records that often now. Maybe it’s just too in me. And maybe the way Krist Novoselic looks like he never got over Kurt’s suicide, there is perhaps than it too for me. First year of uni was like my entry to mental health hell, and then Kurt killed himself on top, when I felt Nirvana had transformed my life in 92 (and it was now 94) and the major new force in my life from the past two years was gone. I think I grossly underestimated how much that affected me on top of whatever else was happening to me until decades later. So unfortunately for me, it’s bound up with that, and that hasn’t gone away.

-Wade

2 Likes

Here are 2 great covers from the old A.V. Club Undercover series. First, you will never hear a version of Sharp Dressed Man quite like Xiu Xiu did…

Second, Charly Bliss managed to do a cover of Tommy Pickles doing a cover of Steal My Sunshine…

3 Likes

Xiu Xiu is one of my favorite bands, and this video coming out was one of the biggest wtf moments of my life

1 Like

Been a long time since I put this one on my turntable:

Squarepusher: Cooper’s World from the album Hard Normal Daddy. Electronic Jazz.

I bought the vinyl more than 25 years ago when I was beginning to explore electronic music like drum&bass and elektro. I have to say I understand Squarepusher much better now that I have two decades of jazz, funk, and fusion listening experience.

(And vice versa, maybe listening to Hard Normal Daddy at a young and impressionable age, even though I couldn’t really get into it then, laid the groundwork for my later appreciation of hard Eastern-European and Scandinavian jazz-fusion…)

3 Likes

This song, going back to Dave Matthews Band, has some great lyrics (and really awesome guitar sound effects, not the guitar itself but the sound):

I can’t believe that we would lie in our graves
Wondering if we had spent our living days well
And I can’t believe that we would lie in our graves
Dreaming of things that we might have been

And another beautiful one, amazing with the instrumentation more:

Hey my love do you believe that we might last a thousand years
Or more if not for this,
Our flesh and blood
It ties you and me right up
Tie me down
Celebrate we will
Because life is short but sweet for certain

3 Likes

I thought you just liked death metal, Max. This whole time, I never knew you liked real music. :wink:

Mad Season - River of Deceit

1 Like

3 Likes

Man, I miss that series.

1 Like

Cyclone

2 Likes