What are some examples of GOAT detail writing?

The whole of Eat Me by Chandler Groover. It’s so terrifying, the stuff you’ve been made to do, but such perfect writing. All of the courses is what you’re looking for.

5 Likes

To me, the goat is what Charlie Brown wants to avoid being when he plays baseball, in Peanuts.

-Wade

5 Likes

What is “GOAT detail writing”?

3 Likes

Greatest
Of
All
Time

EDIT: As opposed to “BOAT”…
Buoyant
Of
All
Time

(Sorry that was an attempt at humor… and I am succeeding!)

12 Likes

Are you serious, or just pulling my leg?

3 Likes

The “GOAT” acronym is 100% serious. A linguistic gift from my age bracket. (Slang is weird…)

EDIT: Slang continues to elude me! I incorrectly attributed its origin!

4 Likes

My friend that’s a gift from Muhammad Ali :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it??? Hell, then it’s had a resurgence! My mistake! :sweat_smile: Thanks, Mr. Ali!

3 Likes

Thanks. I Googled it and you’re right. I’d never heard of it before. You learn something every day, huh?

5 Likes

Learning new slang from Australia and the UK is a tonne of adventure, too! :grin:

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: So as not to derail with puns

gosh I can’t believe I forgot about Eat Me. perfect, delicious example.

4 Likes
This is a truly delightful bit of writing from Christopher Merriner that transports me directly to the Suffolk countryside:
8 Likes

Douglas Adams: paraphrasing in case I don’t remember the exact wording:

“The ship hung in the sky in the exact way that bricks don’t.”

4 Likes

That line always makes me laugh. Douglas Adams was a master writer.

3 Likes

Agreed. He was also a master procrastinator. He liked being a writer, but the parts involving actually writing were always an awful pain for him. Hold on, @SomeOne2 . There is a truly delightful (and absurdly long) essay on the development hell of one specific Infocom game that really shines a light on Adams, good, bad, and indifferent. Given your affinity for HHGttG and Milliways, I’m guessing you would greatly appreciate it if you haven’t read it already. Hold on, let me track it down…

FOUND IT!!!

https://www.filfre.net/2015/08/bureaucracy/

If you do decide to read through the article, please make sure to read through the comments too. Some of the people who were physically there for it back in the day actually commented and had some interesting things to add.

Oh, bummer, no preview box? Huh… Well, I’ll add a picture, because the naked link is underwhelming.

There, that’s better. Fake preview box.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I read this one! Reading through it again, I’m quite sad because personally I’m really fond of Bureaucracy, being in my Top 20. But I know lots don’t like it much.

1 Like

I really wish they would have kept the Queen as the secret big bad, but I can see why Infocom management decided tempting the ire of the Royal Family at that point as perhaps not particularly wise.

1 Like

Pink, was the Queen Mother (that is, the wife of late King george VI), not the late Elizabeth II…

now, I have checked for sureness, WOS still have that little text adventure starring & lampooning the then-PoW (now King Charles III):

perhaps is wise that someone preserve it under the protection of the “bloody colonials”'s Constituition ? (last time I checked, IF archive is located in these rebellious former colonies…) :laughing:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

If the shoe fits. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes