I am getting weird issues playing Twine games directly on the itch.io in Firefox (Nightly). When I try to run a game I get alerts like:
A fatal error has occurred. Aborting.
Error: no valid storage adapters found.
On the other hand, if I download the game or use Safari it works fine. Any ideas?
Yeah, that usually means that your browser is blocking third-party cookies.
Thanks! I tested turning off my EFF Privacy Badger addon and it worked!
Adventuron games hosted on itch.io have a similar problem, except that (in my experience) they just display a blank screen with no error message. (For instance, The Familiar.)
I have a fiddly workaround for both Twine and Adventuron cases, that doesn’t involve allowing third-party cookies:
- Go to the game’s itch.io page (here, https://groggydog.itch.io/the-familiar)
- Start Firefox’s Developer Tools (Ctrl+Shift+I) and go to the “Network” tab
- Press “Run game” (or reload the page if you’re already there)
- Find a line referring to a hostname ending in “ssl.hwcdn.net” (here, v6p9d9t4.ssl.hwcdn.net)
- Right-click that line and “Open in New Tab” – this should give a working game (here, the URL is https://v6p9d9t4.ssl.hwcdn.net/html/7625275/index.html)
(I don’t know how stable these URLs are – probably they can’t be guaranteed not to change – but that one has been stable for a couple of months, at least.)
Thanks for the tip! The developer tool network tab is your friend .
You can also get the url by pressing “Run game”, right-clicking on the frame, then selecting “This frame” → “Show only this frame”. (This doesn’t seem to work with the Adventuron game you linked, but it does with Twine.)