Twine (and pre-Twine) Release Notes History is now part of the Twine Reference

If you saw the Twine 2.8.1 release update on GitHub, you might have noticed something different:

“Release notes can be found in the Twine reference. They will appear there for all versions going forward.”

As some might have seen across a couple different posts over the last few months, I’ve been working to collect the history of Twine and how – across Twine Specs [Twine 1 HTML and Twine 1 TWS] and my own tool, Extwee – to understand and potentially parse older data to help maintain it into the future.

Part of this was also work with Chris Klimas in moving release notes material that I copied into the Twine Cookbook (e.g. 2.6.2) from the older Twine Wiki after its closing. Now, after working with Chris on how best to organize everything, all material is now in the Twine Reference as release notes across every major version of Twine and back to the very first public posting of the then-called Twee command-line tool on March 28, 2006.

This new listing is, at least as far as I know, a complete timeline of Twee and Twine releases and their changes from early March 2006 to January 2024.

6 Likes