Travelling Writers Tool Kit

@ramstrong re stenography. I could hide all my docs inside pictures of cats. Definitively the direction we’re heading :slight_smile:

Yoga: I had to wait a month for it. I think orders are now fulfilled to order, as no one wants to carry stock anymore. It’s quite a nice machine. Windows 11 is just horrible. the screen is very nice. It’s fast.

The plan is to use this as my creative machine for writing and some light coding. I wanted the OLED screen to preview artwork. I got the 4K screen because i just had to have that! It charges over USBC which is nice too. So far I’m quite pleased with it, but i am still to use it properly. Only this week I’ve set up my actual build tools. Oh, and it has a pointless set of buttons to the right of the keyboard which when accidentally pressed do things you don’t want. I’ll have to find a way to disable them. Or maybe just give up and install Linux.

1 Like

You may find the syncthing-fork package for Android easier to use than the upstream app. It’s nice in that it does not use any specific “cloud” but just uses rendez-vous servers to connect your devices directly. This is by far the superior model for privacy and control of your own data.

1 Like

Thanks, i’ll check it out.

So, this is what I finally settled on: lenovo flex 5i chromebook os version

There’s a portable keyboard as well: Logitech MX Mechanical Mini. I’m standardizing my keyboard across various computers. It helps me type faster.

So, money well spent!

I’ve been looking at Google Classroom, and maybe I should create one. It looks good.

Another thing I like is Screencast feature. Once I get noise canceling headset :headphones: , the audio becomes much better! I’ve been screencasting my morning chess games on YouTube. For example:

Chess 220812

I’m also looking into Twitch for podcasting. Does anybody here have any experience with twitch?

2 Likes

I recently purchased an Asus laptop for portable use. I am actually using as my desktop now that my Lenovo Nano bit the dust in less than two years. :frowning:

I would actually prefer to use my RPi 4 as a mobile device. I do a lot of development on it. It is perfect for development IMHO. I may purchase one of the small 15 - 16" portable flat displays for that use. I just tried the RPi 400 keyboard version of the RPi 4. It was terrible! The keys required a lot of force and had a terrible feel and touch. It frequently missed key presses and frequently gave double presses. Go figure!

With linux, it is simple matter to compress a folder of files and send them someplace for backup, either some sort of media or an offsite solution.

When I eventually get one of the small portable screens, I’ll post here with results.

3 Likes

This isn’t travelling but more filling in the time gaps that’d otherwise go to waste.

I am actually quite happy with voice-to-text and Google Keep. If I am at the athletic club, I also bring a pen and write on one of those scratchy paper towels. The thing about those paper towels? I don’t want them around, so I transcribe the ideas quickly.

I’ve tried more technological stuff, but I come back to this a lot. If I, say, ride my bike to a grocery/dollar store, I don’t mind pulling over at an intersection and speaking an idea to transcribe later. Sometimes it’s nice to have a bit of a break.

Oh also if I’m reading I am perfectly fine with a blank sheet of paper as a bookmark to write on. Often I can get said blank sheets from library recycle bins where people have dumped photocopies they can’t use or are done with. So yay re-recycling., I think.

2 Likes

Here’s an updated tool for me. The phone with cracked screen is an old phone. The new phone is the one taking the picture. About the same size, though.

The keyboard is iClever bk05. There’s an app called Writer Journal with word count, and caps lock removal. Useful as sometimes I hit capslock unintentionally, and I’m used to type without looking at the screen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the Writer Journal tip. I’ve been using Obsidian, but I’ll give WJ a go. It looks pretty cool.

1 Like