Thoughts on the choice-based trope of offering one single option to advance the story

Some of my work is targeted at young students. It is not always a means to deliver fiction but to encourage abstract thinking and teach a little science (fiction) along the way. For my use, I choose both parser based fiction and Twine based on my intended use and student. Text rich IF is not always a bad thing.

1 Like

How do you manage that when people’s comfortable reading speeds vary from around 80 to 450+ words per minute? I was playing a game recently where most of the comments were that they disliked the (intentional, I believe) effect that the text came and went too quickly for them to fully process, while that hadn’t even occurred to me until reading the comments since I found it frustratingly slow.

Did you mean syzygy or xyzzy?

1 Like

I don’t agree for parser. I think shorter blocks enhance the interactivity. Ratio of response text to input text could be considered a measure of interactivity.

1 Like

In an unreleased story (parser-based) I have a few moments where for added emphasis of time passing it will wait for some real time before printing the next paragraph. But it’s not asking for other input during that time, the delays are pretty short, and you can skip most of them if you really want to advance faster, which I hope should make them atmospheric rather than annoying.

Pacing is really important. Text styling can be very effective, but style must be balanced with the player’s reading speed.

When in doubt, err on the side of never wasting the reader’s time.

There’s a huge difference between pacing and manufactured suspense.

One of the guy’s behind Disco Elysium said they modeled their dialogue system after Twitter. In his mind, people always say they “hate reading” but everyone can’t stop complaining about how much time they spend on Twitter. I’ve tried to keep that in mind with my own designs and writing.

While I think there’s some reason in what you’re saying, I also think reading text in a game off a monitor is a different experience than reading passages in a novel in a book or on your phone. Maybe it’s just me, but reading on a computer screen is harder, especially if the lines are wide and your eyes need to do a lot of travelling. The smaller and narrower the chunks, the easier it is for me to read large amounts of text on a screen and more immersed I can be in the story instead of begrudging the physical experience of reading itself.

2 Likes

A love of reading text is not a pre-requiaite to enjoying playing text adventure games.

Text adventures don’t require very much text and many 8-bit games thrived with no story and little text.

The less text you have, the easier it is to make the world rule based and interacrive. Storyless text adventures are puzzle boxes with a parser UI.

Choice based games don’t necessarily need to have a story, or a lot of text either. Graphics reduce the need for descriptive text too.

This obviously is why I don’t think that IF and TA are interchangeable terms. Some IF is not text centric, and some TA is not narrative centric. IF and TA have significant overlap but they are not synonyms.

One by definition requires a narrative and the other is loudly and proudly a game - with or without “fiction”.

I feel that a breathe single choice is okay as a sort of literary breath or pause. Interpreter games, including those by Infocom, do this occasionally. That’s what should be kept in mind. Do it too much and you ruin the experience.

That’s not a great comparison, IMO. The people that don’t enjoy reading but waste time on Twitter aren’t really reading. They’re just scrolling through their timeline without paying attention to anything until a selfie or gif jumps out at them and then they’ll spend two seconds responding with a reaction gif or some generic phrase that’s been recycled to the point of being unfunny and meaningless. The ones that do like to read just spend their time getting into fights with people because someone likes something that they don’t like.

Ignoring that, I agree that a wall of text can be difficult on the eyes. Most news sites have learned to break up large blocks of text with an image, video, or even an enlarged quote. Just something to give your eyes a rest.

Novels are usually about four to five paragraphs per page, which is also a good number for Twine games and the like, IMO. From what I’ve seen, a lot of Choice of Games games adhere to this also, though they occasionally get long winded in parts. But they never get as bad as their semi-competitor the Delight games that sometimes feel like they’re trying to fit a whole chapter into a single page.

Is this something you know from study, or something you are invested in being true :stuck_out_tongue:

Whatever you may think of Twitter, I have learned a lot just by studying the design of their page and I think it’s had a positive influence on my latest work. And I do think a lot of people are reading on it, it’s just that the options you have to engage with content tend to make it useless for anything other than boosting or remixing. It’s the design of interactivity, and not the design of the text, that makes it as horrible as it is.

Though there are some pretty funny people on there.

Choice Games work fine for me because I’m playing them on my phone. Phone reading is easier for me because again, the line widths are very narrow and with the way scrolling works your eyes aren’t moving too much. By contrast, Twine games I play on PC get tiring when there’s so much text on a page I have to scroll.

I don’t think I could play Choice Of Games stuff on my computer.

I lurk on Twitter a lot, and my observations are based on that. There are some good people on there, but there are also truly, truly horrible people on there as well. I think Twitter (and social media on general) took a dive the instant the like button was introduced. Everything is about likes and follower counts even if half those followers are bots.

I also prefer doing all of my reading on my phone (if not an actual paper back). I’m pretty sensitive toward the fact that most IF doesn’t care about mobile at all, even though I think it’s the ideal platform and the future of IF. Even for parser games, IMO, even though typing is obviously easier with a real keyboard.

But it’s really sad how many games in this year’s IFcomp I couldn’t play because they either didn’t scale to my phone, or had positional elements that broke on my phone, or used a version of the JS interpreter that doesn’t accept mobile keyboard input, etc.

1 Like

I mean, this forum has a like button. But this forum also is used exclusively by a community with shared goals, limited size, and is one which inducts new members by having them introduce themselves. Also content is organized into fields of interest and topics.

We both agree on the mobile point though. Designing for mobile first is what I’m interested in going forward. And to tie it back to the topic, I kind of hate having to scroll, so finding out how to break up longer text in a way that isn’t grating is important to me. Or maybe it just means I need to introduce more choices, which I guess gets out of the problem entirely.

1 Like

Mobile is certainly the “future” of choice-based IF. (I’d say mobile is already the most popular way to enjoy commercial IF of all kinds, particularly if you include F2P graphic novels in the mix.)

IMO, this is a bit of a problem for Twine, because inline “hypertext” isn’t that great on mobile. Fingers require buttons that are at least 1cm x 1cm. If you have two lines of text, one atop the other, each of which has a different choice option, it’s going to be difficult to for players to tap on the option they want (unless the font size is unreasonably large).

One way to “solve” this problem is to include “enough” filler text between the options to make them easy to touch the right one, but that tends to be unpoetic.

The other way to “solve” this is by avoiding hypertext in the middle of regular text: make each link its own paragraph with a blank line before and after it. But then the links are basically just buttons; they don’t feel like text you can touch. It would be better at that point to replace the links with actual buttons with borders, rounded corners, margins, etc.

As for the topic of this thread, IMO, ChoiceScript’s “Next” button fades into the background as part of the UI. In ChoiceScript, we call it a *page_break command, and it’s fine. You don’t even notice that it says “Next” after a couple of pages. I think that a hypertext “Next page” link never fades into the background, especially when it has some real text in it (“Breathe”).

Foregrounding the page break is good when you want to call attention to the act of turning the page, but bad when you just want a simple break between pages to break up the text.

That’s interesting. What’s an example parser game that you think plays better on mobile than on desktop?

Mobile parser games haven’t taken off relative to desktop, and I think it’s not just the keyboard problem. For traditional text adventures with a complex map, I find it really helpful to have a window open with a map (either provided by the game or in a Trizbort window) and another window open with puzzle notes.

I certainly agree that good IF presentation requires restricting the width of lines of text to something that doesn’t force the eyes to scan back and forth. At Choice of Games, we set our game text to have a maximum width 480px which feels about right to me, though I could imagine setting it narrower than that. (But, then, you can also resize your own browser window on desktop, something you can’t really do on mobile.)

Ian Millington’s Cheat Sheet for Better Typography recommends max-width: 450px but in the font he’s using that works out to only ~50 characters, which feels a bit too tight for my taste.

3 Likes

This has been an interesting and useful thread to read; right now in a WIP demo I’ve been editing after a long hiatus from serious writing, I’ve got three single choices in a row, phrased as questions that the narrator answers to give some context to the story and setting – it’s a bit of a clunky work-around, and given what I’ve read here, I’m thinking it may go over better if I present all three choices at once, and let the player go through them in any order.

(I do think that this is an authorial choice where there’s no real way of pleasing everyone — some people love judicious non-choices to progress, some people hate them. Getting people’s perspectives on these things is interesting and useful, but ultimately, it’s an aesthetic choice like any other.)

Also, I’ve very much kept in mind the Choice of Games guidelines – even though I work with ink, not ChoiceScript – to keep chunks of text per “page” to around 200 words at most.

2 Likes

Ooooh thanks for this guide. I will definitely be reading this.

Millington’s “Better Typography” is an exercise in sore eyes… An example of “How not to present an essay”.

I like the reader to bring their own perceptions and interpretations to my text. I don’t want to have to give answers to questions like that because if I, the author, do the work of interpretation for you, then you’re not actually interacting with the work and it never lives in your head, and that kills the mystery, it kills the golden goose. We’re not going to talk about JUDY. We’re not going to talk about JUDY at all. We’re going to keep her out of it.

2 Likes

I haven’t published much choice-based IF but I have been writing a lot, and my one published game is quite large. While I’ve tended to avoid having a “next” link as much as possible, there are definitely times when it’s unavoidable. Having two or more in a row definitely makes a game feel less interactive, and this is where a “fake choice” might be a better idea.

I play a lot of IF on my phone including parser based IF. I find ChoiceScript games the easiest to play and Twine the most annoying, because of the necessity of enlarging the screen to ensure I click on the right link.

1 Like

You’re like the blue rose…

2 Likes