The new SPAG

Hello,

I already offered FREE UNLIMITED HOSTING for SPAG at my own hosting plan (which is unlimited) but at the time it was not accepted, should this still be an option, please contact me.

No hosting space/database/emails problem… Just let me know what you need… My hosting is at JaguarPC.

Kind regards,
RootShell

It’s easy just to setup the sub-domain at your hosting and redirect it (by dns) to other server (keeping the url spag.intfiction.org)

Thanks all for your comments!

Bainespal, I am thinking of retaining the issue-based publishing model. It’s SPAG’s unique “thing”. But we could change to a rolling release model later…

rootshell, thanks for the offer, but I’m planning to go with jakobcreutzfeldt. We will get a new domain just to keep things simple, and to make it easy to transfer to another server in the future if needed.

Well, no problem! Should there be any need please do let me know.

Best of luck with the SPAG project.

Regards,
RootShell

YAY!!!
Can’t wait to read the new SPAG!!

This is good news.

I can say one thing I was waiting for from the last spag that never came was the ifcomp 2011 spag specifics on The Hours.

• Wade

I should say that I unfortunately don’t have anything from the previous editor. If you sent something to David, please send it again to me (spag.mag.if@gmail.com)

Yes!

Uhm. I still have to write it. But I promise that I will!

Yes Victor, quit resting on your laurels :wink:

Oh yeah, and 2011 xyzzy and ifcomp interviews also didn’t arrive. I know I know – it would’ve been cooler if someone had pointed this out who didn’t expect to be an interviewee, but these are the breaks.

• Wade

Issue #61 will have interviews for the 2012 IF Comp, but not 2011, sorry!

That’s great news!

I’ve written for SPAG in the past and would be happy to do so again, but off the top of my head I don’t have a lot of ideas (that aren’t reviews). I’ll ruminate and see if I can come up with something. :slight_smile:

This is great news, thanks a lot! :smiley:

I don’t know how feasible it is, and how it’d work out on many levels (text copyright, money, Amazon, etc.), but I’m subscribed to a few magazines on my Kindle and I love getting the newest issues on my device automatically as soon as they’re available. Maybe it’s too soon for that since SPAG is only published on a semi-regular basis, but it might be good to keep this possibility in mind ! :wink:

If there was some sort of e-publishing format, I’d strongly like for it to be something more open rather than something Kindle-specific.

I don’t think the Magazines section is really open to submissions. The list is very short.

I did see that you can publish a rss feed, but I don’t know how that would work because I’m planning to only have the cover show in the feed.

This might be relevant regarding a Kindle release:
archlinux.me/dusty/2012/09/09/ar … or-kindle/

Long story short, if the content is already freely available on the web, you’ll have to jump through some extra hoops regarding copyright ownership. Since SPAG will depend on guest writers, from Amazon I’m guessing they would likely want proof of transferral of copyright ownership or a license to publish the work, yadda yadda yadda. However, the happy ending being that it’s apparently possible to just convert to .mobi format and provide it to Kindle owners outside of Amazon. I don’t know what this entails exactly, but considering that the book in question in that article was merely a quick adaptation of a wiki article, it’s probably not a very involved process.

You could use Smashwords to convert SPAG to multiple e-formats for different readers.

Hi everyone, if you were thinking of writing an article for SPAG, then now would be a good time to start! I would like to have an initial draft from all contributors by the end of the month.

I would also like interviews with the top three IF Comp winners. Anyone good at asking questions?

I am good at asking obnoxiously wanky questions!

This is a bit belated, I know, but if you still want someone to convert SPAG into ebook formats, I’m willing to volunteer my services for ePub (for most modern e-readers) and mobi (for Kindle) conversions so that you don’t have to subject the poor thing to the Smashwords Meatgrinder. I do ebook production professionally, so I’d like to think I have a pretty good idea of how it works.

1 Like

Thanks for offering. It looks like there are at least five people in this topic who would like to read SPAG on an e-reader, so the interest levels are higher than I expected. I’ll send you a message closer to the time of publication once I know how many articles we’ll have, so you can gauge how much effort it will take, and if you still want to do it.