Hello! I have been in contact with Jimmy Maher and pleased to say that I have offered (and been approved by him) to take over as editor of SPAG. Issue 61 will come out before the end of the year! I hope that David Monath will be able to join me as editor in the future when he has enough time for it.
It’s been over a year since issue 60, and in that time the IF world has continued as it always has. We do not have a gaping hole that must be filled with SPAG, but that does not mean that there is no place for SPAG in the future. I am therefore looking for writers to contribute content which may be less common today:
- SPAG Specifics: for many of us this was our favourite part of the old SPAG, and the Specifics will of course remain in SPAG! SPAG Specifics are more than reviews, they are in-depth analyses of important IF works.
- Technical/craft articles: IF is an unusual genre as an extra large proportion of IF players have also taken a shot at authoring IF works themselves. We would love for SPAG to have a regular technical article! If your work has lead you to any novel programming task, then please consider writing up a discussion (or tutorial) for SPAG.
- Interviews: let us know which authors you’d love to hear interviewed
- Synthesis of where the art-form and community are going. Some examples I’ve thought of: IF in the era of crowd funding, shared world storytelling (ex. the Andromeda Legacy), keyword based IF vs hypertext fiction
- More: let me know what else SPAG should have!
You may notice one thing which is missing: reviews. The new SPAG will not have a section for reviews because there are so many great review blogs out there already. But don’t think this means we will ignore games or competitions! We will have coverage of the major competitions, we just won’t be reviewing them one by one.
If you want to write for SPAG, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A couple final questions:
How do you want to find out about new SPAG issues? Is it worth maintaining an email list?
Is there anyone who could help provide a new server for SPAG? I will be shifting to using Wordpress, but unfortunately I am not in the financial situation to pay the fees for a server myself.
Okay, that’s enough for this announcement. Please share any questions or ideas! Thanks!