Suppressing room description if player moved to a supporter

Hey guys,

Fairly basic question here - is there an easy way to suppress the room description when forcibly moving the player onto an enterable supporter?
If I do

move the player to the chair

where the chair is in the room I’m already in, the move happens fine, but it displays the room description for the room, which is a bit jarring.

I’m happy to provide context as to why I’m trying to do things this way or more code if that would be helpful, but I didn’t want to complicate things to start with.

Thanks so much in advance!

Lamentably (or possibly because there are excellent reasons not to use it, of which I am unaware) this doesn’t appear anywhere in the documentation:

surreptitiously move the player to the chair;

That was significantly easier than expected. Thank you so much :smiley:

It is better to use “move the player to the chair, without printing a room description”.

“Surreptitiously” bypasses some internal machinery, like updating backdrops, worn clothing, and darkness. That’s why it’s not documented.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Now that I think of it, is there an (equally easy) way to circumvent the existing ‘get up’ command so that the room isn’t redescribed when the player leaves the chair? I’ve defined my own ‘stand’ command which does the job, but for neatness I’d prefer for the effect of both to be the same.

You can unlist the “describe room stood up into” rule to get rid of the behavior completely.

The describe room stood up into rule is not listed in any rulebook.

It’d be better not to have two actions that do the same thing. You can redirect the exiting action (which gets triggered when the player commands GET UP) to the standing action:

Before exiting when the player is on a supporter: try standing instead.

Wonderful! Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

You can write it like this as well.

Before exiting from a supporter: try standing instead.

Hope this helps.