Sage Sanctum Scramble ending(?)

Spoilers unless you’ve reached the end:

Is there a meta-puzzle?

On the one hand, the Honorary Sage ending seems pretty definitive. On the other hand, I have a few nagging doubts there’s still something to figure out:

• each puzzle is conspicuously labeled with a color, green-yellow-blue-pink-purple. I thought this might just be an indication of puzzle difficulty progression, but there a lot of green and blue puzzles and only a handful of the others.
  • the ending mentions keywords that “no longer work” and new keywords being discovered, which makes me wonder if the player should be doing some of that discovering.
  • it’s a DiBianca game.
1 Like

Yeah, it does what you’d expect a DiBianca game to do. And actually finding the first thread seemed pretty easy, much more so than, say, The Wand, which I would never have guessed without a pretty broad hint.

So wait,

how do I access the metapuzzle? Quorbus (and the other sages) seem uninterested in hearing new keywords in any of the 60 puzzle rooms, and the game will not allow me to use non-book keywords during the fight with the Zarblot, or in the ending room afterwards.

Incidentally, it’s not clear to me

why MUNCH, PONDEROUS, and DAZZLE “used to work” but are now duds. As far as I can tell they don’t (and never did, historically) satisfy any of the conditions needed to counter a Zarblot spell?

You were on the right track with

the colors: figure out what those mean and that gives you a 61st location.

Do the additional tasks revealed and you get another ending which I found completely hilarious (though I haven’t managed to win it yet…maybe I need to start a new game and do more badly??!).

Thanks! With your lead I’ve become a Honorary Sage with Gold Pin. I think that’s finally it since the game tells me I “can’t do any better than that!”

Huh. Now I’m wondering if some puzzles have multiple solutions: I only have two puzzles left (59/60) and haven’t seen any of the three words you mentioned. At least, not as keywords: I might have forgotten some of the intermediate words for some solutions.