Rovarsson's Spring Thing 2021

A positively sparkling heist game:

Lady Thalia and the Seraskier Sapphires

Good conversation-puzzles, entertaining and funny tone and an intruiging tension between the protagonist and the detective. I liked this a lot.

Review: Lady Thalia and the Seraskier Sapphires - Details (ifdb.org)

(I quit Hand of God after a few pages because I found the writing somewhat bland. It’s possible that there is a good game there. If so, shame on me for not being patient enough.)

Next up: So I Was Short Of Cash And Took On A Quest.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the great review! I’m glad you liked our game :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I absolutely loved getting the maid to conspire with me.
And sketchy as it is, Melpomene’s backstory is actually quite moving.

Good game!

2 Likes

This is promising:

So I Was Short Of Cash And Took On A Quest

A Back Garden piece that will hopefully be expanded into a full game. Funny.

Review: So I Was Short Of Cash And Took On A Quest - Details (ifdb.org)

I’ll be playing Heroes next.

3 Likes

I’ll have to retry Heroes! at some later time. The links are sluggish and sometimes even unresponsive until I refresh the page.

The playful tone of the writing and the dreamy illustrations made me smile though.

I’ll go try Journey to Ultimate Fightdown instead.

1 Like

Intriguing!

Journey to Ultimate Fightdown

Seemingly a set-up for a great mockfest of RPG-clichés and Hollywood Dream-tropes, the game quickly changes into an exploration of the characters’ personalities and their relations to each other. It’s also much deeper than I had imagined at first (according to this thread: Journey to Ultimate Fightdown Questions/Comments/Etc.! - Competitions / Spring Thing - The Interactive Fiction Community Forum (intfiction.org)).
I’ll have to come back to this to explore it more fully. (No review yet.)

I’ll play Misty Hills next.

2 Likes

I can’t stop smiling…

Misty Hills

What a joy to wander around in this little gem of a game.

Review: Misty Hills - Details (ifdb.org)

Next up: Wearing the Claw. Yes, the 1996 IFcomp 8th place game. I’m yearning for some oldschool parseriness. I’ll return to all this new style modernist clickity-clack after I got my fix of GET LAMP.

4 Likes

(Ah… That was fun. Nothing like vanquishing an evil curse to rejuvenate oneself. Wearing the Claw hit the spot.)

Eleanor

I didn’t get far in this game. What I did get was a very unnerving experience. You descend into a kind of dreamy/nightmarish underworld to recover your dead lover, or at least see her once more.
The sparse, almost featureless locations, the eerie background noises and the pop-up pictures work well together to create a surreal atmosphere. The obstacles however are so obscure that I only got “down” two levels.
The help-feature nudges you in the right direction with an associative image, but I would have liked an actual explicit hint after running into the timed awakening/end of game half a dozen times.

Great atmosphere, needs more work on playability. I’ll hold off on an IFDB review.

Upcoming: Queenlash

1 Like

Uhm…

Queenlash

I’m sorry, but wilfull obscure opaqueness does not artistic poetry make.

I think I could use Some Space now.

1 Like

THANK YOU for dedicating your precious time to Eleanor.

“What I did get was a very unnerving experience.”
I’m so sorry!

When I came up with the Eleanor storyline, I quickly realized it wasn’t going to be an “easy game”.
In fact, the risk in “simulations” like this is to create a frustrating and boring game.
I tried to avoid this by inserting sounds, images, automatic saving of progress and help routines.
Unfortunately even in your case (the same thing happened to Mike Russo) this was not enough and, in the end, you left the game without finishing it despite (I thought) the suggestions were quite explicit.

At this point it would be important for me, if you can, to know:

• What prevented you from getting on
  • How can I make it clear that the “wake up” timer can be easily reset by moving down or up.
  • which helping images failed to suggest the right action to take.
    Your valuable suggestions would help me to improve the game in its future versions.
    All the best!
    Rob.
1 Like

Two games only half-successfully merged into one?..

Some Space

I liked … parts of it. But the parts didn’t feel like they were of the same whole.

Review: Some Space - Details (ifdb.org)

I’ll read Those Days next.

A straight story, told in Twine.

Those Days

Hardly interactive, but a story that could not have the same impact if it were written as static fiction nonetheless.

Review: Those Days - Details (ifdb.org)

Yesterday I already took a looksee at the intro of Budacanta. I’m looking forward to playing the rest of it this evening.

Wow! And that was only the introduction!

Budacanta

Honest, open, vulnerable, trusting, funny, enthusiastic.
The author has put an important part of herself in her game for you to read and experience. Moving.

Review: Budacanta - Details (ifdb.org)

Next I’ll jump into the spy-parody that is Fish and Dagger.

5 Likes

I really like the way you have presented your reviews here, with a concise blurb, the review itself straight on IFDB, and ending with Up Next.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Maybe I’ll continue doing it like this when I return to the regular review-program (i.e. less reviewed and /or older games from my to play-list).

(I’m no mind-reader, but was your comment partly a hint to that effect?)

3 Likes

No hint, really. It just made it a pleasure to follow your review thread.

I’m particularly spoiler-averse myself, but here I could read everything without being afraid. I would get a summary impression of your general feeling toward the games, while the review itself being on IFDB provides useful context. And the teaser on the end provided a very good flow to the thread as a whole.

I don’t think a review that has its own thread would benefit as much from this approach, actually, especially since easy access to quoting makes the threshold for discussion lower.

2 Likes

I found that it kind of works if you play it very very quickly.

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! I was hoping that creating Budacanta would be educational as well as entertaining, and I’m glad it has turned out to be all that and more :smiley:

1 Like

An interesting piece that needs better big-picture writing.

Fish & Dagger

You’re getting drawn into a convoluted spy-intrigue. The convolutions do not get the narrative space they need to develop though.

Review: Fish & Dagger - Details (ifdb.org)

Up next: [PYG]MALION*

And here I thought I found my gaming niche where I could take all the time I wanted to ponder my next move…

1 Like