Review: CODENAME OBSCURA

The second game that I chose to play during IF Comp is CODENAME OBSCURA, a spy game set in 1980s Italy by @MikaKujala. I enjoyed it overall.

1. The graphics and design

I was mainly attracted to the game because of its graphics. The author notes that the images are low-resolution, as the game aims to imitate retro games. It also is meant to eventually run on the ZX Spectrum Next through the Adventuron engine’s built in compatibility.

I am not sure whether the illustrations will look this good on the console, but they look great right now. I am looking at the opening shot, admiring the shadows on the bed and curtains. I’m also thinking about the amount of effort that probably went into making the apple recognizable in the blocky still-life painting on the wall. Even if this was not drawn from scratch, the pixel editing is top-notch. See below:

I really like the shading in this area too:

Not all of the images are full-size: there are some 1/2, 1/3, and 2/3-wide images. This is a good thing, in my opinion. I assume it saved some time during the illustration process, but the differently-sized pictures makes the various areas distinct from one another as well.

Certain parts of the game, such as the crossroads and the facility door with multi-colored buttons, have art that seems a bit less detailed. But even the weakest art is decent, and you won’t be staying in those rooms for long anyway.

2. The story

As noted, this is a spy thriller. The story is played straight despite the fact that your spy agency has the slightly silly acronym T.U.R.T.L.E. There aren’t any twists or turns in the plot: you’re simply tasked with retrieving a diamond from a bad guy.

There is lots of flavor in the story, though, mainly in the form of set-pieces, one-time characters, and lots of Italian dialogue. There are also some references to religion, which actually serve as clues.

The author calls the game “fun and recreational,” but it’s nice to have those motifs/touches, even if there isn’t a grand message behind it all.

3. Gameplay and puzzles

Broadly speaking, the game makes use of three types of puzzles. The first are simple inventory puzzles. Some of these puzzles are solved by typing USE OBJECT at the right place, but they are intuitive and clever, and they did a good job of getting me hooked.

There are also some puzzles where you need to do a not-so-obvious action, and others where you need to input a password. I started to resort to a walkthrough for some of these, but I have no doubt that someone who is better at puzzle games than I am would find most of these intuitive as well.

There are also two timing- or turn-based puzzles: one at the end of the introductory section, and one at the very end of the game. I was completely at a loss for the second one — you can lose the game by throwing the right object at the right person at the wrong time. Fortunately you can restore your game, but losing the game seems unnecessary at this point.

The game does provide hints, which is nice. These are very brief, and they are mostly helpful for the simpler object-based puzzles in my opinion.

4. Input handling

I have only played a few Adventuron games, but I haven’t seen any that handle language as well as Inform-based games; CODENAME OBSCURA is no exception.

That isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, but it is better if the game works within the engine’s limitations or defaults. Some puzzles in CODENAME OBSCURA are solved with USE [OBJECT], while others require specific actions. Varying precision in verb input, combined with a general lack of synonyms, means that some trial and error is necessary.

One thing that frustrated me was the fact that Adventuron’s save menu understood ‘Y’ as ‘YES’ while the game itself didn’t understand this. This gave me trouble during the horse betting sequence — especially since the game didn’t explicitly tell me how my ‘Y’ command was being handled.

I expect that players that are more familiar with older IF games might not be so thrown off by these limitations or shortcomings.

5. Setting

CODENAME OBSCURA takes place in Aurelia, a village in Italy. Each location feature something that you would expect to find in rural Italy, from Roman ruins and villas to marketplaces and monasteries.

The setting caught my eye because I recently tried out another game called Wheels of Aurelia, which is a top down racing and visual novel set in a place with (sort of) the same name.

This was a little surprising, since the real-life village that I assume CODENAME OBSCURA fictionalizes in is very small and seemingly not that famous. However, after further research, I see that Via Aurelia, Where Roads of Aurelia takes place, is actually a major Italian highway separate from the village.

So the coincidence might not be so extraordinary after all. Still, I wanted to bring it up, especially since both games have very nice art styles.

Both are worth checking out. I really enjoyed CODENAME OBSCURA, and, like all IF Comp entries it’s free. Wheels of Aurelia is a bit pricey for what it is, but it has been in some charity bundles. If you paid for Itch’s Ukraine 2022 bundle, you own it.

Update: I have added a link to this review from CODENAME OBSCURA’s IFDB page. Title: A mostly straightforward spy thriller with great visuals Rating: 7/10.

5 Likes

Hi!

Thank you ever so much @pbparjeter for spending your time playing Codename Obscura, and for writing this excellent review. I’m so thrilled to learn that you liked the graphic style in this game. A lot of effort was spent on the image side of the implementation, there are more than 60 hand-drawn images in the game .

As for the ending, without really spoiling anything, I had already written a completely different kind of escape sequence, where there would have been many more options for the player to react, but unfortunately I ran into some severe problems when porting that to the 8-bit environment. So, I know it’s a bad excuse for this current implementation, but I wanted to stay true to the retro-compatibility. And the way on_tick() method in Adventuron gets to be called on the 8-bit version really got me confused, and I eventually ran out of time to think about anything else than the current ending.

And the setting, Aurelia, as I recall, I did try to find a fictional name that would not overlap with any actual location names, or existing game names for that matter, but for some reason it seems I have failed in this. So, if there are any similarities, they are purely coincidental.

As this is my first ever Adventuron game implementation, and also considering the 8-bit limitations & this being my first time joining this competition (or any IF competition), I find your rating as a complete triumph. Thanks again! :wink:

Cheers,
Mika

3 Likes

A lot of effort was spent on the image side of the implementation, there are more than 60 hand-drawn images in the game.

I’m glad I was right in my assumption! Did you work from reference photos? It is impressive either way.

And the setting, Aurelia, as I recall, I did try to find a fictional name that would not overlap with any actual location names, or existing game names for that matter, but for some reason it seems I have failed in this. So, if there are any similarities, they are purely coincidental.

That was my other guess: that you were going for something general. I noticed that “Aurelia” sounds like Marcus Aurelius, and found out that variations on this are a really common name because its related to the Italian words for “golden one.”

I don’t really know anything about Italy myself. Do you have a Italian background, by the way? Looking up your name, Google says it’s Finnish, but you never know.

1 Like

Yes, for most of the images I started up with some reference picture, but usually ended up completely redrawing the whole thing anyway…

No, I don’t have any Italian background, I’m a Finnish person and native Finnish speaker, Italian language, and some other languages have just been a hobby of mine. I’ve been studying Italian only in community college, but have been travelling around the country a lot, on vacations, not for business (so far at least) :wink:

1 Like

Yes, for most of the images I started up with some reference picture, but usually ended up completely redrawing the whole thing anyway…

If you end up writing a post-mortem or after comp blog post, I’d encourage you to post more about the artwork…I think it would attract people to the game.

1 Like