React + fyrevm-web Help

Hey folks,

I’ve been looking for a React/Typescript non-novice developer to update the fyrevm-web repository. It’s four years out of date and it also has a dependency on semantic-ui, which seems to gave problems with gulp and breaks builds on Windows. I’m also open to (if not pleading for) semantic-ui being replaced with something less troublesome (maybe Ant-Design?)

I’m willing to pay someone to help me out with this. You’d need to understand/learn the basics of how fyrevm-web works, but that’s fairly easy (you send in text and it fires an event that contains an object with all of the necessary output for that “turn”).

1 Like

Blech. I’m going through this myself and here’s what I’ve realized.

1. Original react dev didn’t even implement FyreVM properly. He compiled it to JS and imported it directly as a script. It should have been turned into a TS module and imported properly.

2. I’ve renamed the fyrevm-web repository to fyrevmweb-react since it’s all mushed together.

3. I created a new repo called fyrevmweb that is just the base fyrevm library and published an NPM package.

4. I create a new repo called fyrevmweb-angular and am working on getting it setup with an angular project. I included fyrevmweb and added a service, but I’m stuck on how to properly import FyreVMWeb as an object.

Stay tuned!

Hey!
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I was wondering (and hoping :slight_smile: ) whether there had been any progress on the fyrevmweb-angular project.

No and fyrevm-web was never built “right”. Given the new version of inform, it’ll be a bit of work to get the extensions working. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply! It’s sad to hear that about fyrevm-web. I loved the concept of FyreVM and wanted to use it in a small project of mine. Do you think the C# version would be any help right now (assuming we use an older version of Inform)?

So the fyrevm-web react demo does work, but only with the older version of Inform. http://plover.net/~dave/cloakjs/

The code is in GitHub. GitHub - ChicagoDave/fyrevmweb-react: FyreVM Tools, Projects, and Extensions for Glulx-Typescript Inform 7 stories

I just don’t like the current implementation. It’s not elegant.

1 Like